• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Free Camping in Junction

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Zanner
I just want to mention that last weekend while in the Junction area I discovered that one can camp for free in the Junction city park. The park is located on the west side of the loop bridge (the east side is a county park which does not allow camping). No hook ups and plenty of cold water in the shower, but for free it's a good deal and right on the river. One final comment, since the park is almost downtown I was able to walk to the grocery store and do some shopping so rather handy. Posted a few pictures.

th_HillCountryRideMemorial2010002.jpg

th_HillCountryRideMemorial2010003.jpg

That is indeed a good tip.

However in the spirit of full disclosure, just downriver from there, same side of the river and on the other side of the loop, is Morgan Shady camp ground, privately owned and operated. And for the few dollars they charge, I'll trade the cold shower for the endless, hot shower and the facilities.

Now you tell me. I first went to the state park south of town and they were full (Memorial day weekend I expected such but this is what you get for deciding to leave the night before) and the ranger directed me to the city park. Thanks for the info; will admit that in the morning while taking a cold shower I would have been willing to pay a few bucks... :doh:

I am a complete moto camping aficionado. I'm leaving for California and Montana in July, camping most of the way.

There are some things, though, that make or break it:

(1) Have to have the right air mattress. I found the Neo-Air to be the prize winner in this area.

(2) Hot shower, if need be both in the evening after a hard day's ride and in the morning before heading out.

(3) Coffee. Don't travel anywhere motocamping without the aerobie and the jet boil anymore. I'm usually the first one up in camp and I've showered and had about 4 cups of coffee before the next rider stirs. I like getting up early to watch the sun rise with a good cup of java. I'll even start the fire if the posse isn't going anywhere that day.

I'll set up tents everyday, all day, but the few creature comforts that are these days not hard to find almost anywhere it totally makes the camping experience fun.

I bought a little funnel shaped drip coffee maker for five bucks that sits on top of any standard cup and it has a built in filter(or you can use the small funnel shaped ones). You put a spoonful of coffee in it and then pour hot water in and let it drip. Makes a great cup of coffee and takes almost zero space

I just like camping. Of course, I never leave home without my thermorest mattress. Regarding other things, after camping for years with Scouts (former Scoutmaster) I'm just gad to not have things burning down, bleeding, or being chased...

I just like camping. Of course, I never leave home without my thermorest mattress. Regarding other things, after camping for years with Scouts (former Scoutmaster) I'm just gad to not have things burning down, bleeding, or being chased...

I can understand that. I loved camping when I was a boy. After starting my military career, and living in the field for months on end in the Army for years, I never really enjoyed it again until recently. Camping for fun is a lot different than livng under a poncho obviously, but when we redeployed and I was home, I liked those clean sheets and hot showers.

Trust me, with a boy scout for a son I've been out there with the mosquitos, heat, humidity, noise, no toilets, no showers, no good food thing.

He's at the University of Texas now.

I've graduated to "cush-camping", which while it doesn't mean a credit card and the Holiday Inn, it means that (and no insult intended to those who wish to imitate the Marlboro Man) that I'm past pretending that camping has to mean roughing it in every sense of the word.

All the gear I need to be really comfortable, even in the rain, packs down pretty small and I have the put up/take down routine down to a fast science.

What really bugs me is paying 50 to 100 or more at a hotel, per night, night after night. I will grab a hotel every little bit just to do laundry and take a break, but paying those prices is a bit annoying.

In Junction you can find a motel for about 40 bucks a night, for example the Sunset, and it's clean and nicely air conditioned.

But there's just something about moto camping that is both satisfying and rewarding at the same time.

Trust me, with a boy scout for a son I've been out there with the mosquitos, heat, humidity, noise, no toilets, no showers, no good food thing.

He's at the University of Texas now.

I've graduated to "cush-camping", which while it doesn't mean a credit card and the Holiday Inn, it means that (and no insult intended to those who wish to imitate the Marlboro Man) that I'm past pretending that camping has to mean roughing it in every sense of the word.

All the gear I need to be really comfortable, even in the rain, packs down pretty small and I have the put up/take down routine down to a fast science.

What really bugs me is paying 50 to 100 or more at a hotel, per night, night after night. I will grab a hotel every little bit just to do laundry and take a break, but paying those prices is a bit annoying.

In Junction you can find a motel for about 40 bucks a night, for example the Sunset, and it's clean and nicely air conditioned.

But there's just something about moto camping that is both satisfying and rewarding at the same time.

I agree completely. My camping now is with a large dome tent(that I can stand up in), one of the new lightweight collapsing cots, coolers, an electric fan if I have a hook-up and space to carry it, etc. My camping is usually from my pick-up with the DR650 parked nearby

Back