• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Friday at Sterling Ranch (anybody work)

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan

The Honda is a buddies new 250RX, pretty sweet, me in the back of my Durango, not me with back to camera, lol. Always nice to have a young lady join our ride! She calls us old guys her idols, lol. Only been riding since October, does very well and LOVES it! Ride was great but had to remember what DUST was, went into a whiteout and smashed right intp a berm and over the bars, not good. Still some bad ruts left, one makes an extremely difficult climb out, we watched one guy get stuck, finally get it out, up on the ledge then lose the front into the ravine and endo into the deep rut. I don't know him, always rides alone, but he wasn't a happy camper, lol! Such a great day we hung out for almost 7 hours, duh!

Went out and got in 4 laps. While there helped owner put in these neat bridges over some trouble spots.

The top picture doesn't really show it, but it's still very tricky as you come off bridge you have a very narrow ledge to keep from slipping into the 4 foot ravine!

The top picture doesn't really show it, but it's still very tricky as you come off bridge you have a very narrow ledge to keep from slipping into the 4 foot ravine!
Oh, that's easy. I could do that no problem. It looks pretty flat in the picture to me.
Captain Keyboard Komando​

I was there Sunday for the first time in several years. The bad spot Rob is talking about has gotten even worse and really needs some work before someone gets hurt. The lone line that remains is offcamber and had gotten pretty narrow by Sunday afternoon. AS usual the pic does not do it justice. There was two other really bad spots in the woods that had also gotten very bad. Both were at the bottom of a "go down--go back up" section with a little creek at the bottom. Both need one or more of those metal things or they might be impassable for many. Several guys mentioned avoiding the "hard" lines since the mud holes were getting very bad. Getting stuck if alone would be very bad especially for us "mature" guys.

I was there Sunday for the first time in several years. The bad spot Rob is talking about has gotten even worse and really needs some work before someone gets hurt. The lone line that remains is offcamber and had gotten pretty narrow by Sunday afternoon. AS usual the pic does not do it justice. There was two other really bad spots in the woods that had also gotten very bad. Both were at the bottom of a "go down--go back up" section with a little creek at the bottom. Both need one or more of those metal things or they might be impassable for many. Several guys mentioned avoiding the "hard" lines since the mud holes were getting very bad. Getting stuck if alone would be very bad especially for us "mature" guys.
You didn't call?

We will be at Sterling Ranch Dirt Bike Park on Sunday (3/31). We’re bringing this new 2019 Beta 300 RR demo bike for anyone wanting to take it for a test ride. Look for the Beta Racing ez-up canopy.

Uh oh!
You didn't call?
Didn't know I was going till I woke up Sun morning. Had gone to Church Sat evening so I decided to ride instead of yardwork etc etc etc. The sand wore me out, only did 3.5 laps and that was enough. Really really really out of shape and have totally forgotten how to ride !

About how far in miles is a lap?
This is basically a cross country training facility, so laps are in line with that thinking. About 7 miles if you do the hard split, not hard but has a tricky creek crossing. fast is 20 minutes and to who knows for some folks, lol.

7 miles of off-road in 20 minutes ! Wow! Ok, just trying to learn my limits so I don’t try to go ride with y’all big boys.

Not me, fast guys, probably closer to 25 minutes actually.

Actually a fun loop with some variations of terrain. And it's OPEN, unlike Forest.

7 miles of off-road in 20 minutes ! Wow! Ok, just trying to learn my limits so I don’t try to go ride with y’all big boys.
Just a little info on Woodsguy, he is one of the fast guys in any group and I think he rides Sterling R about nine days a week.

Just a little info on Woodsguy, he is one of the fast guys in any group and I think he rides Sterling R about nine days a week.

Oh I believe it. I’ve seen his pictures. I’d be more in the hour n half lap class. And then question why i need to make a second lap :giveup:

Budzrex, hope you and your friends enjoyed the park today. Was good to see you.

Rob, we enjoyed the place a great deal, look forward to riding it more often, Nice layout easy to carry good speed.

Big Country Motor Sports had this 300 for demo at Sterling Ranch yesterday, a very impressive ride for sure. My only thing is it seems physically a hair smaller than a KTM, I think that can be addressed and do miss the counter balanced engine. Definitely consider this when bike buying comes around again. It handled like a dream and the motor could be short shifted and ran a gear high like I like to do. Thanks for the ride!

Back