• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Friends are in San Antonio, what to see?

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Bodenschatz
Hello all, I have a good friend, her husband and two adult boys in SA for a couple days.
What should they see, do and where to eat and wet their whistles?
Thanks in advance,
Frank

I would say go visit the river walk. Several attractions within walking distance from there.

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

Food: There's a restaurant - La Fogata - that has the best margaritas I've ever had. It ain't in a tourist place, too.

Touristy stuff:

+ Riverwalk. And a boat tour.

+ Alamo, and other missions on the mission trail (I would not go to all 5 - but Alamo + 1 or 2 others)

+ Sea World? Five Flags?

+ The big tower - "Hemisphere?" - is worth the trip to the top for the view of the city and area if it's clear. Restaurant is pretty good, but feeding four adds up $.

+ Any festivals / performances during their stay?

Oh Frank you opened up the flood gates. There are so many things to do there it is sort of difficult to narrow it down. Here is a list of places to go in SA. No particular order but all great places to check out.
1. The Alamo.............free
2. The River walk........free
3. The Mission Trail/Mission Concepcion.....free....
4. The San Antonio Bontanical Gardens
5. Institute of Texan Cultures
6. San Antonio Zoo
7. River walk boat tour
8. San Antonio Ghost tours
9. Ripley's Believe it or not/wax museum next door
10. Sea World of San Antonio
11. El Mercado
12. Fiesta Texas

Places to eat: Just a few I have tried.
LuLus on main street
Little Red Barn Hackberrry st
Pig stand/2 locations
Charlies on Broadway

Oh Frank you opened up the flood gates. There are so many things to do there it is sort of difficult to narrow it down. Here is a list of places to go in SA. No particular order but all great places to check out.
6. San Antonio Zoo
7. River walk boat tour
11. El Mercado
12. Fiesta Texas

LuLus on main street
Pig stand/2 locations
Charlies on Broadway
Thanks to all of you, sent your suggestions off to them.[emoji1]

There are a ton of things to do right around the Alamo area. The river walk is right across the street. Wax museum and Ripley's is across the street also. Note the free stuff. Mission Conception has guided tours and a short movie if they like history. The Zoo,Botanical gardens and Seaworld are always nice to do if they have the time.

If they head to downtown/riverwalk, Schilo's Deli is not to be missed!

The Red Barn is kinda wonky and the food isn't that great, but it's cool none-the-less.

The art museum is great, I forget the name.

6. San Antonio Zoo
7. River walk boat tour
11. El Mercado
12. Fiesta Texas

LuLus on main street
Pig stand/2 locations
Charlies on Broadway

+1 for Little Red Barn

If they have no idea what Dick's Last Resort is have them go there. LOL

Thank you everyone, sent that off and they had a blast, didn't get to hit it all but what they did was fantastic. They will be back.

The big tower is the Tower of the Americas, from the 1968 Hemisfair (half a world's fair?). I remember going there in '68 with the folks. There was also a monorail back then.

I rarely get near the River Walk without finding an excuse to climb up to ground level and walk to the tower and ride the elevator to the top. Worth the price of admission, just to take a gander at the city from the observation deck. The revolving restaurant is okay to sit and have a cold drink while the city spins by at a snail's pace.

My mom's favorite restaurant was Casa Rio, on the river, of course. It hasn't changed much in more decades than I've been around.

Back