• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

From hot too cold... time for gear switch.

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,
So in the blink of an eye, Gulf Coast WX switches from hot to cold. What happened to fall? We had frost on roof yesterday in Sugar Land. At least wind stopped. Too much travel for me. Anyway, I plan on taking the Blue Goose out today. Time to switch to my Aerostich leathers I guess. They are bulky and heavy, but warm and break the wind chill. My mesh jacket will be retired for a while. Under layers likely just a t-shirt and heavy cotton shirt? Boots of course. Switch to leather long gauntlet gloves, with glove liners. Full face Shoei helmet does just fine, mostly.

What winter gear do you use?

Looks like we're gonna get some real, consistent fall weather. Two solid weeks of days in the low 60s & nights in the 40s. After an overly long summer, I'm ready for that!

What winter gear do you use?
I finally went electric last year. Cycle Gear brand jacket only for $200. The BIG advantage in electrics is that they are small - relatively speaking. Dress for the weather while stopped, then plugin and heat up to conquer the wind blast. Otherwise, it takes layer after layer after layer, and I end up feeling like the kid from Christmas Story - and start sweating every time I slow down. I did one good ride in the cold last year - pie run to Llano where the temps on the "to" ride topped out at 42º - I had thermals, electric layer, and my 4-season moto jacket / pants. With the electrics set on low, I was NEARLY too warm when stopped for any amount of time. Perfect once rolling at highway speeds.

I'm going to get the electric gloves that plug into the jacket this season.

I rode the Wee this morning and it wasn't really that cold...I wore my Cortech mesh jacket with a cotton long sleeve shirt, blue jeans, my riding boots and I did put on my long gauntlet cold weather gloves and all was well. I only rode for an hour (30 miles) cuz I'm late for the gym, but happy to get a ride in... :rider:

Decided to zip liner into mesh jacket, that was just right with heavy shirt. Beautiful day for a ride, had a blast.

Once you’ve had electric you won’t go back!

This is my first season with a heated liner. I should have bought one a loooong time ago. Now it’s time to get heated gloves, pant & boot liners.

Now it’s time to get heated gloves, pant & boot liners.
@Ken Phenix is your man. Warm & Safe dealer, TWT member, recent transplant to Colorado. He also has a large supply of Widder electric gear that he has converted from Mike Kneebone's stash.

I personally have a pair of gloves that he converted to heated for me.

I am now trying out my new Klims and I thought my Revits were good. It's amazing how much difference quality gear makes. Comfort is just a matter of adjusting a zippered vent. The shell by itself is very warm. No more zipping in and out the liners.
Randy

My spring/fall gear is a one piece Aerostich R-3 light. It doesn’t keep warm so in much cooler weather I wear it with a heated jacket liner. I don’t really get cold much except for my arms. The heated jacket liner really helps keep my upper arms warm.

My summer gear is usually a MotoPort stretch Kevlar, but it’s heavy and doesn’t vent well so I usually throw on a HD Switchback for a quick ride in town.

Man you are right! Camped out at the Houston BMW motorcycle club rally Nov.1, 2 over at Fayetteville Lake near La Grange. Had to put on the long johns and leave the mesh jacket at home. It was cold for these old bones. ken in katy.

I'm still wearing my favorite 3/4-length Scorpion mesh jacket. With sport touring bikes that has good wind isolation, gear selection isn't quite as critical. Tomorrow is supposed to hit high of 83F.

I did put on my leathers riding out to the Kawi Demo Ride this weekend though. Morning was a nippy 43F.

These days, I don't break out the electrics unless it dips down past the low 30's, which isn't all that often around here. Heated grips and seat keep me plenty toasty already.

IMG_20191101_124817.jpg

Haven’t quite broke out the cold weather gear yet. Just layering up some, and using my waterproof stuff more.
Yesterday was the HD Vanocker leather jacket and pants with all vents closed. No liner. Stayed dry but the lower half was chilly.

Back