• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike For Sale Adventure Ready Versys 650 [sold]

Jeff S

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff

Update April 14: Back for sale!

I only put 800 miles on this bike since taking it off the market in Oct 2019. Need to make room for new toys..

Up for sale is my 2010 adventure ready Kawasaki Versys 650.

That shot (Texas hill country somewhere..) shows most of the relevant farkles:
  • SW Motech Crash bars
  • SW Motech bash plate
  • Barkbusters
  • Arrow exhaust (have the stock one too)
  • Stainless braided brake lines
  • Two tool tubes stashed under the rear subframe.
  • DL1000 wheels - I have a two full sets of wheels for this bike. The stock wheels are 17" front and rear - these have Metzeler Tourance NEXT tires on 'em that are still quite new. The set you see above are from a V-Strom 1000 - 19" in front, 17" in rear. They include rotors, sprocket and all the spacers to drop right in. These currently have TKC70's on 'em with at least a couple thousand miles left to go. The photo shows TKC80's. The 19" front make a huge difference off the pavement. I raised the front fender to fit the larger front wheel. I bought this second wheel set here on TWT for I believe $1000.

That's at the top of Pikes Peak in May, 2013. This photo also shows:
  • SW Motech locking, removal side racks. The photo above shows the bike with the racks off - basically zero hardware is left on the bike, so it's clean and tidy looking.
  • Side cases: Seahorse SE-720 (link here)
  • Aprilla mirrors (have the stock ones also, but they aren't work a darn)
  • Touring windscreen (have stock also, which I use when it's not snowing and around town)
  • Lithium Ion Shorai battery (LFX18A1-BS12) is just a few months old. I LOVE never needing to trickle-charge it.

She's wearing the stock wheels above - outsite Zion National Park. Here's a better shot of the stock wheels (and stock exhaust). The Arrow exhaust (slip-on, using stock headers) sounds GREAT and is something like 8 pounds lighter than stock.

I did a valve check, throttle sync and last oil change (always full synthetic) at 42,591 miles (last Oct) and she's got 43,342 now.

The bikes doesn't have a center stand, so you'll get both front and rear pit stands to help when swapping wheel. The street wheels (17/17) are on it now. The two full wheel sets also let you use different gearing for pure street and in "dirt road mode".

Kebler Pass, Colorado:

I've got all the original hardware, user manual, service manual (PDF), maintenance log and more photos that you can shake a stick at. I did a 4400 mile ride the year I got it (2012, second owner, bought from TWT) and have been to and thru Big Bend, every dirt road I've been able to find in the hill country, and on several other multi-day rides through New Mexico and Colorado. I did Angel Fire NM to Austin in a single day - it really is "all day comfortable". I've probably done a dozen 400+ mile days on her.

The bash plate and crash bars have both paid off - I've slid out on the Sandy Creek crossing, zero MPH tipover on Pandale Road, and at least a few others. Nothing even bent, I was never hurt, and it's actually hard to even find where the bars touched ground. Buy her and don't be afraid to drop her (but, yeah, try to avoid it ;-) ).

Royal Gorge Bridge:

I love this motorcycle. Cycle World calls it one of the best used motorcycles you can buy. Motorcyclist Magazine dubbed it Motorcycle of the Year in 2008. It's the do-all-end-all motorcycle, and might be the Ultimate Dual-Sport Adventure bike. I'd hop on her tomorrow and ride to Alaska with total confidence. NADA suggests $4000, so we'll start there - lowered to $3500 lowered to $2900 - even though this comes with two full sets of wheels, brakes, tires and all the bells and whistles listed above. She's in central Austin, no test rides without cash in my hand.

Summary:
2010 Kawasaki Versys 650, 43k miles, in Austin, Clear title. All the Adventure farkles you'll ever need, including hard luggage. Two full wheel sets. $2900.

Last edited:
So cool. This is how the Versys should have been built from the beginning.

OK, it's clear this has not already sold because I forgot to mention one important farkle: Bar Risers!

So, yeah, it's got 20mm risers and I'll knock $500 off - take it all for $3500.

Don't want both sets of wheels? That's your loss, but sure, take only one set (either) and save another $500.

I would love to take this off your hands, but must wait until my 05 Superhawk sells, unless you are interested in a trade...?

I would love to take this off your hands, but must wait until my 05 Superhawk sells, unless you are interested in a trade...?
Thanks, but no. I'm already over-stocked.

But, I'm not it too big of a hurry to move it...

Replying to a couple questions:
  • Yes, the Texas title is in my possession, in my name.
  • The bike is inspected and registered in Texas until April 2020.
  • The 2 LED running lights kinda visible in the top photo are not currently installed. The mounting brackets (bike specific and very sturdy) are installed, but I'd planned to move the lights to my new bike. If this matters to you, you can have 'em, along with the handle-bar switch and LED light controller. Install should take you 30 minutes. This offer expires the day I get around to mounting these on the new bike (and I'll edit this post at that time).
  • None of the soft bags in the photos are included (don't worry, they aren't worth much anyway).

Now this is how you write a for sale ad. Never really considered a Versys much before.. nice bike but...... sorta plain. But now, wow. This Versys is causing a shift in my perception.

Now this is how you write a for sale ad. Never really considered a Versys much before.. nice bike but...... sorta plain. But now, wow. This Versys is causing a shift in my perception.
Yeah, I might not have picked "plain" as the word, but it certainly is under-appreciated, not beautiful in stock form, and kind of a blank slate to make from it what you choose. I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted a Twisted Sister carver or a Real River Road adventurer, so I built one bike that does both.

The extra wheel set really makes this a screamin deal, IMO
Thanks - and yes, the ability to swap from a 100% street setup to TKC70's (in less than 30 minutes, with the pit stands provided in the sale) lets me swap back and forth as needed. Hard cases and racks come totally off, and even remove the bottom bash plate to transition to pure street mode.

Come to think of it, maybe I need to just make room permanently for this fella and hold on it. Hmm...

OK, so, no one is buying... is anyone trading?

It's gotta be plated, interesting, different (not dual sport, not ADV), and running. Ural? Royal Enfield? Old beemer? Super Sport? I could throw in my 1974 Kawasaki F7 to sweeten the pot a bit...

I still have my superhawk and still want to trade. I can come to you from DFW any day til friday.

I still have my superhawk and still want to trade. I can come to you from DFW any day til friday.

That is different for me! I'm not sure I can put a fast bike like that to best use. But I'll give that a think...

Werent all the SuperHawks carbonated ...not fuel infected
My friend had one that he loved riding.....until it ran outta gas on the twin bridges! Sumthin ta do with the reserve I think

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Keep it !!!
Yeah, this is looking more likely. I told the wife when I got the FJ-09 that it would be replacing the Versys. But, she can still see both bikes. Hmm, I just need better hiding places...

Anyone have camouflaged bike covers?

Yeah, this is looking more likely. I told the wife when I got the FJ-09 that it would be replacing the Versys. But, she can still see both bikes. Hmm, I just need better hiding places...

Anyone have camouflaged bike covers?

I also have an FJ-09 and I wish somebody would figure out how to do a similar conversion for that bike.

I also have an FJ-09 and I wish somebody would figure out how to do a similar conversion for that bike.

Yeah, I had that thought, but it's really not the right setup. The oil pan is super thin cast aluminum, and it's just too street / hooligan for dirt (suspension, throttle response and power delivery). Not to mention non-disablable ABS. I'll put a thin bash plate on mine and a radiator guard just to keep gravel from causing unneeded headaches when on dirt roads (which it'll have to do on occasion). Folks do push it a little farther down the 'ADV' path than this, but that's not for me. I can't imagine a 19" or 21" working very well on this fella, either.

Wait for the T7 or whatever that'll be called once it's actually launched...

I have seen this bike in person and a half dozen or more occasions and it it nice.

Just a quick update. I'm keeping this bike. Too darn fun to give up for too little dough.

Anyone who sees this thread in the future: feel free to ping me if you're interested but I'll be keeping it and will keep riding and loving it...

It's nice to see my old bike and I'm glad you still have it and continue to have fun. 🙂

Just a quick update. I'm keeping this bike. Too darn fun to give up for too little dough.

Anyone who sees this thread in the future: feel free to ping me if you're interested but I'll be keeping it and will keep riding and loving it...

It's nice to see my old bike and I'm glad you still have it and continue to have fun. 🙂
Me too, DBL!! This bike is just more fun and versatile than it should be....

Good for you. Everyone needs two bikes................or more.:deal: How are you liking the Yamaha?

Good for you. Everyone needs two bikes................or more.:deal: How are you liking the Yamaha?

The FJ-09 is fantastic. The engine is just amazing, and I'm getting the ergos and other details dialed in. It's very much like a newer, stronger Versys - upright seating on semi-tall bike, amazing value and just more fun that should be allowed.

The FJ-09 is fantastic. The engine is just amazing, and I'm getting the ergos and other details dialed in. It's very much like a newer, stronger Versys - upright seating on semi-tall bike, amazing value and just more fun that should be allowed.
Hope to see you at the next Meet and greet and check it out.

Back