• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

WEST TX: Ft Davis ADV Ride/meet up Spring 2023.

Reaction score
Fort Davis Sky Island adv ride/meet up

Date: confirmed March 31st - April 2nd ( dates not to conflict with around the bend)

2 days 500+ Miles of great big bike friendly adv self guided routes.

Ride or drive in and stay at The Historic Prude ranch with choice of accommodations.
You'll have your pick of staying in the Bunkhouse, a private guest/family cabinets or bring your rv( a few hook ups) and or tent for primitive camping.
Ranch has a large Lodge will serve breakfast and dinners.

Routes: self guided rides around west texas

3 routes: GPX tracks will be available for download at sign in..

route1: North loop out of ft davis. consisting of mix of roads surfaces and big bike friendly 250 miles +/- with short cuts/ bail outs. plenty of gas along the route (80 miles max) expect average speed to be 50 mph. expect the ride to take 5 to 6 hours

route 2: South loop.. 300 miles +/- This is a true ADV route that will test your riding/adv skills. Many are familiar with Pinto canyon.. this route will take you through one of the best scenic adv routes in the area. from there you will be treated of an amazing ride along the boarder Via Chipsa rd up to Van Horn then. this section is very challenging as there is deep sand on Chipsa road.. nothing a competent ADV ride cant handle. a word of caution: this area is very remote and any search and rescue will take hours. temperatures can get quite high here even in spring.. expect mid 90s in the lower sections of this route. there is no bail out once you get on chipsa.. it's either all the way to van horn or all the way back to Presidio or Marfa. you will need a minimum of 150 miles fuel range on this route. expect 6 to 8 hours to complete depending on ability.. there is a bail out at Van Horn to take the interstate back to 118 to get back to ft davis if needed. suggest leaving early and riding with a sense of urgency to finish all of this route.

route 3:.. Pinto canyon /Casa Piedra loop.. 215 miles +/- (90 mile fuel range). Fun route that is about 70/30 (paved/dirt). great route for big bikes and novice Dual sporters. great senic route will take you down Pinto canyon to Ruidosa.. then the fun winding hwy 170 into Presidio for fuel and lunch.. then up Casa Piedra road up to marfa and back to the ranch.. this ride should only take 4 to 5 hours.

Bonus: Bring your small trail bikes. this ranch has horse trails that the ranch will allow us to ride.. I'll be marking a 5 to 10 mile loop for your enjoyment.

other activities:

Barrel races with prizes
scavenger/ geo-cache event
Saturday nite bonfire/ Keg party.

Costs:
  1. Registration link ; $55 entrance fee https://square.link/u/VR6YkqGW
  2. you will be responsible your accommodations: (Prices per night)
  • private cabins sleeps up to 4 (limited to 4) $130
  • family cabins sleep up to 6 (limited 2) $240
  • bunk house limited to 20 persons (bring your own linens) $30
  • RV site 30 spaces (30/50amp hook ups) $100 and up
  • Dry tent camping (access to showers and bathrooms) $20(gestimate..price TBD)
  1. you will be responsible for your meal tickets. breakfast and Dinners are buffet open seating.. drink options are (tea, juice, water and coffee) byob or soda.
    • Dinner (buffet style) $18.95
    • breakfast (buffet style) $9.95
    • BBQ/bonfire dinner ( TBD)
    • BYOB

route.JPG
route sheet.JPG

I will update i the next month.. please post up with any questions and if you are interested.

Last edited:
So I am thinking I might like some of the tracks while at Around The Bend. Would be willing to sell just the tracks. Can’t do both, but could add a day to Around the Bend. When you say sand, are you talking an Arizona waddy bottomless sand, or just a mildly deep sand road?

Updated the posting.. we are confirmed for the dates at the historic prude ranch..
we have researved the whole ranch. I'll post up the group contact when she is ready to start taking reservations and update the dry camping.

Love the idea. watching for details...

When is this is relation to the next 'Round the Bend? (perhaps we get both onto the TWT Calendar?)

When is this is relation to the next 'Round the Bend? (perhaps we get both onto the TWT Calendar?)
RTB is the first weekend of March.. this is about a month later the first weekend of April (march 30-april 2nd). shouldnt be alot of cross over of routes as RTB is really BBNP.. the route we've designed is more around Van Horn.. north and south.. so i should be a good addition to those who love the area

RTB is the first weekend of March.. this is about a month later the first weekend of April (march 30-april 2nd). shouldnt be alot of cross over of routes as RTB is really BBNP.. the route we've designed is more around Van Horn.. north and south.. so i should be a good addition to those who love the area

That's what's really tempting me. I haven't explored that area even though I've been to the park a few times.

So I am thinking I might like some of the tracks while at Around The Bend. Would be willing to sell just the tracks. Can’t do both, but could add a day to Around the Bend. When you say sand, are you talking an Arizona waddy bottomless sand, or just a mildly deep sand road?
PM me. we can discuss the route.. Deep sand.. as in deep wallering sand.. rode it in Feb on my Ducati Multistrada Enduro and it's all do-able.. but I'm an 50+ expert enduro rider and still had a few spots I went "oh ****" on.. A novice rider that over sold his abilities crashed and got hurt when he crashed in a wash and broke his ribs. I had to ride him out to the hospital 70 miles to van horn.. but we had a few other first timers that had no issues getting through and really loved the route.

I've updated the top post. added preliminary route sheet.

also there are only a few cabins left.. so dont hesitate to register and reserve a room asap

Back