• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

funeral train

focus frenzy

ok, how many people are planning to go stake out a spot to photograph the president Bush 41 funeral train?

in the world of rail fanning this is a holy grail, it has been 49 years sense the last time there was a presidential funeral train, and very well could be the last time one happens.

I have already picked out a spot that hopefully is not crowded and provides a good angle.

I have not heard of this. Would love the kids to see it if it works out.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
ok, how many people are planning to go stake out a spot to photograph the president Bush 41 funeral train?

in the world of rail fanning this is a holy grail, it has been 49 years sense the last time there was a presidential funeral train, and very well could be the last time one happens.

I have already picked out a spot that hopefully is not crowded and provides a good angle.
I've seen the route but not the times, have you figured the time out??

For anyone that hasn't seen the route mep:
https://www.up.com/cs/groups/public/@uprr/@newsinfo/documents/up_pdf_nativedocs/pdf_up_media_bush_41_route_map.pdf

I've not seen a play-by-play schedule, but the media has reported the following:
"The departure ceremony [from St. Martin's Episcopal Church] will start at 11:15 a.m., where he will then be transported by motorcade to Union Pacific Railroad Westfield Auto Facility.
The train will run through Tomball, Magnolia and Navasota on the way to College Station, and the ride is expected to last 2.5 hours."

I would figure as with most events heavily influenced by the Secret Service, the exact times are not published.

focus frenzy

departure according to Union Pacific is 1pm with arrival at destination at 3:45pm

the roster just list the 4141 but there is rumor locomotive 1943 will also be used.
the consist includes:
three power cars 207,208,2066
"city of Portland" dome diner
"city of San Francisco" dome lounge
"the council bluffs" baggage car
"Lone Star" business car
"Harriman" dome lounge
"overland" Diner car
"Portola" deluxe sleeper
"City of Denver" diner car
"Walter Dean" dome lounge
"Kenefick" business car

StromXTc

Forum Supporter
Confused, thought I heard leaving Ellington Field for Washington this morning by one of the presidential 747 jets. :shrug:

Please clarify . This is interesting ,as you said

Think I understand...this will be for the burial at week's end I believe in college station.

Last edited:
Confused, thought I heard leaving Ellington Field for Washington this morning by one of the presidential 747 jets. :shrug:

Please clarify . This is interesting ,as you said

Think I understand...this will be for the burial at week's end I believe in college station.
This is a 3 stage event. Today flying to DC. In state there till Wed and flies back to Houston. Funeral service Thurs morn in Houston. Leaves after service for internment in College Station Thurs. That is when "4141" arrives approx 3:30-4:00 pm. in CS.

focus frenzy

he will lay in state in the rotunda at the capitol from 5pm today to 10am Wednesday and then be transported to the National cathedral for the national service that is scheduled to last 90 minutes (televised) he will then be taken to joint base Andrews for the return trip to Houston, arriving back here at around 4:30pm
Bush will then lie in repose at St. Martin's Episcopal Church in Houston for the service here Thursday morning, he is then to be transported to the Union Pacific yard and loaded onto the train in the "council Bluffs" car for departure to College station at 1pm with Arrival scheduled for 3:45 pm

South Tex

Forum Supporter
Any idea where in College Station the train will stop to transfer for the final ride to the burial site ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Centex

Forum Supporter
FYI, two links for all the available information:

(Union Pacific) George H.W. Bush Funeral Train

(Joint Force HQ) Official U.S. State Funeral Honoring former President George H.W. Bush, 1924-2018

The Union Pacific link above includes further links to info, video, and pics about the route, consist, etc, etc. There's a mention in there that the train will stop, and presumably transfer the President, "across from Kyle Field" in College Station.

The second link includes info on all of the events and schedule from now through burial at the Presidential Museum.

Last edited:

South Tex

Forum Supporter
Thanks centex, I’ll try and get some pics Jarrett. Not sure how close they’re gonna allow us at that point.

Dahveed

Forum Supporter
I would figure as with most events heavily influenced by the Secret Service, the exact times are not published.
You know your career is limited in the Secret Service when you're assigned to guard the dead guy. :rofl:

Just kidding. It was probably the same people that did a good job of keeping him secure during his living years. Sounds like a neat trip. I wish I could go. I hope the rain in the forecast doesn't rain on your parade.

You know your career is limited in the Secret Service when you're assigned to guard the dead guy. :rofl:

Just kidding. It was probably the same people that did a good job of keeping him secure during his living years. Sounds like a neat trip. I wish I could go. I hope the rain in the forecast doesn't rain on your parade.
I know you were kidding, but just like this morning, I expect 43 will be there with 41 the whole way and perhaps many other dignitaries.

South Tex

Forum Supporter
Yup yup. I’m just going to pay my respects and kinda doubt I’ll get close to anything pic worthy.

Interesting. Something I'd like to do, considering that Pres Bush is one of my favorites of the 20th century. But that's a long way for me to go. Plus, it would take weeks to reschedule my Thursday a.m. doctor's appointment.

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
Reading the online news, so much is going to be shutdown all day, from around 6am along the whole route it might be useless even trying to get close. In College Station there will only be 3 viewing spots for the public. Navasota pretty shutdown too. Maybe out in the rural area you might be able to sneak a view or if you have access to private land. Guessing crowds could be huge.
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Everything-you-should-know-about-this-weeks-events-in-Bryan-College-Station-501742851.html

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
I wonder if they will be shooting down any drones that attempt to fly over for video footage...? :ponder:

M38A1

Admin
Reading the online news, so much is going to be shutdown all day, from around 6am along the whole route it might be useless even trying to get close. In College Station there will only be 3 viewing spots for the public. Navasota pretty shutdown too. Maybe out in the rural area you might be able to sneak a view or if you have access to private land. Guessing crowds could be huge.
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Everything-you-should-know-about-this-weeks-events-in-Bryan-College-Station-501742851.html
That rail line criss cross so may FM's I'd guess it wouldn't be that difficult to find a spot along the route.

South Tex

Forum Supporter
My plan is to be in Navasota at noon and wear good walking shoes.

focus frenzy

I have picked out a county road with area for parking just down from a FM that lets me work my way in bypassing towns on the route.

got go pro clone, Cannon , and I-phone XS

TWTim

Forum Supporter
UP 4141 is an impressive-looking EMD unit. I'll be looking forward to seeing any stills or video TWTers in that area manage to nab. Fingers crossed for good weather.

1095164806_74593d0981_z.jpg

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
That rail line criss cross so may FM's I'd guess it wouldn't be that difficult to find a spot along the route.
While that's true if George Jr is on there I bet they are either closed or closely monitored. Not to mention other folks will be thinking likewise.

I have several picts of it at TAMU when it was new and a couple of it head on a freight run out west of plantersville . A stretch of county road runs beside the tracks east of FM 362 with the sun in the right direction , may ride a bikeup there Thursday if its nice

South Tex

Forum Supporter
f44381dace3277fc47257cda330caac5.jpg

Probly the last time we see a president with these credentials

TWTim

Forum Supporter
Fox has cameras on the train and are currently streaming the procession:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ey2Cjh_Vws"]Live: George H.W. Bush's funeral train travels to Texas A&M - YouTube[/ame]

South Tex

Forum Supporter
0ca736967a5148df0d06a111384f3a10.jpg

dc7378885a77279706636e8cf19e4d7b.jpg

Lotsa lotsa folk along the tracks in each town standing in the rain

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
Just watched the coverage of the train ride, arrival to College Station and final transport to the Bush Library, his final resting place.

It was really good coverage and watching the crowds and the reception at College Station by the A&M Corps of Cadets and Honor Guard I thought it did a great job of honoring 41 as the true patriot he was.

I'm glad I was able to take the time and watch it.

Last edited:

focus frenzy

here are some of my pictures.
low this multipurpose personal electronic device (insult to call it a cell phone)
can take pictures while shooting video.

A49D0D50-0155-45C2-A62E-6CF78CE1F67E_zpsgvlff2b4.jpg

83CD534D-8099-4AD0-A6D1-2D2B83C36381_zpscmjbc8ja.jpg

HW Bush 41 was carried in the car named "council Bluff" the pall bearers also rode in this car, the officer in charge stood at the head of the casket for the whole ride.

W Bush 43 rode in the following car, Business car "Lone Star"
5F1E9563-ACDE-43C0-86E6-73493761F0B2_zpso3bnsfle.jpg

4A008172-92E2-40ED-A9B6-CF3676E5E198_zpsx426sfb6.jpg

George HW Bush 21 aircraft missing man flyover.
[ame="https://youtu.be/GT88tYXln4I"]George HW Bush 21 aircraft missing man flyover - YouTube[/ame]

StromXTc

Forum Supporter
Thanks for that, Fox News was terrible, they only showed a couple of formations. They did not show the missing man formation!

I saw part of it because my son and wife were there. The aggies made me proud yesterday!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Same here. Stupid NBC feed bairly caught the m.m. maneuver. Was not able to see the cloud effect. Thanks for the post

Wonder If Michelle Obama was proud?

Dahveed

Forum Supporter
Thanks for that, Fox News was terrible, they only showed a couple of formations. They did not show the missing man formation!

I saw part of it because my son and wife were there. The aggies made me proud yesterday!

I saw the Fox feed last night. They didn't bother to show the missing man formation, but they did manage to squeeze in 5-10 minutes of static Bush Library footage at the end. :brainsnap

I might ride down there Sunday and visit the grave and buy myself a new sweatshirt.

Fly overs always put a lump in my throat. That one was special. Thanks to all who shared their photos and video.