• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fuse block help/suggestions?

Reaction score
My friend has a Harley and he currently has about 5 things connected to his battery for stuff like a USB power port on the handlebars and spot lights.

I just replaced his battery as the old one was dead and it was painfully obvious that he is in need of a fuse block for all the things connected to his battery. I get the idea of how a fuse block is supposed to work, but I've never installed one.

Any suggestions on how to do it and what to get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Does he, or you need anything to be run off of switched power? If not, then it is easy as can be. The one that @bwdmax linked is one that lots of us have used in the past.

There are some fancier ones that are split half always hot and half switched but if you don't need that then don't spend the extra money on it. They are super easy to install as long as you can follow basic instructions and crimp wires, then you will be good to go.

Does he, or you need anything to be run off of switched power? If not, then it is easy as can be. The one that @bwdmax linked is one that lots of us have used in the past.

There are some fancier ones that are split half always hot and half switched but if you don't need that then don't spend the extra money on it. They are super easy to install as long as you can follow basic instructions and crimp wires, then you will be good to go.
I don't know what my friend "needs", but switched power would probably be best for him. As for my set up, I have my spot/fog lights hooked up to my headlight low beam wire, but haven't ridden at night since I got them wired up that way. I used to have them just on battery/non switched power. That worked, but there are "funny" people at work who might go turn my lights on if they knew they could so I re-wired it.

I'm thinking I will get the fuse block bwdmax suggested and rewire some of my stuff. Just need to get some terminals to crimp on to the wires as I go.

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I'll work with my friend to see if I can talk some sense into him.

Eastern Beaver has some options. I have the PC8 fuse block on my Vstrom with terminals for both switched and unswitched power. I also purchased (but not yet installed) a splitter from Eastern Beaver for my CBX that plugs into the diagnostic port. Takes up less room than a fuse block. Mine is split to 3 outlets but I can go more if needed. I’d just need to buy the pigtails

+2 for Eastern Beaver. Installed one on my AT with the cable that plugs into a spare port to provide switched terminals. There are plenty of videos on how to install.

I've also used the Centex AP-1. It's very well made and small so it fits just about anywhere. You might want to install one near the battery for acçessories near the back of the bike, and another up front for acçessories at the front of the bike. IMO, it is best to keep wiring as short as possible. You may still have to run wires from the fuse block at the front of the bike to the battery (if you can't tap into any wires at the front of the bike) but at least it's only two instead of four or more.

As stated before; just get the Eastern Beaver and be done with it. Amazon as had number of "fuse block" options that actually work, but you need to make up your own battery connections etc. By the time you buy the 8-10 gauge wire (depending on your load) connectors and all for a couple more bucks you could have bought the Eastern Beaver and he puts in instructions in it.
I did a 6 fuse block from Amazon for a buddy that rides a Road Glide Ultra but I had all the wire and connecters in my garage already.

Back