• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Future thinking?

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan

As autonomous cars come along, the scenario described is awfully scary for riders. Especially with David Kafka's way of thinking. That because we ride we are the primary player at fault just for tiding?? As David Fernandez states our future is scary. If you didn't read original story, if I remember right, when computer has to pick between a bike and a Volvo it picks safest outcome for the car it's driving.

And the adjacent ad is for a radar detector.

Maybe vehicles (bikes included) will be part of the "internet of things" and will automagically communicate with each other, detecting problems before they become problems, and in this way making the paradox of who/what to save a moot question?

I was asked this question once and I still don't know how to answer it: If the autonomous car was given the choice between killing 4 people in the middle of a road or killing the sole occupant (you), which would the car choose?

I could see motorcycles being mandated to have some kind of transponder mounted on them, same for bicycles. That way even if the car couldn't 'see' the bike, it would at least pick up on the signal.

I was asked this question once and I still don't know how to answer it: If the autonomous car was given the choice between killing 4 people in the middle of a road or killing the sole occupant (you), which would the car choose?

I could see motorcycles being mandated to have some kind of transponder mounted on them, same for bicycles. That way even if the car couldn't 'see' the bike, it would at least pick up on the signal.
That's exactly what the article was about. And bicycle, motorcycle loses.

Back