• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Galeana

Alright alright. Signed up. Now to start prepping on my end. Stalefish - are you planning to trailer out of Central Texas?

$40? See post #121.

i think he means the oct ride so that will cost $40 but the official registering for oct when you pay hasnt started yet, for the ride in may next month there is no extra fee to anyone, just show up at the border, hey since i live here in the valley, we hear more than you guys up there, so many locals are staying away from the border towns since the last 3 weeks, its been brutal with the criminal activity, just to think about it

I had hoped to go on this run but unfortunately the SO reminded me we have a wedding to attend that weekend. Next time.

i think he means the oct ride so that will cost $40 but the official registering for oct when you pay hasnt started yet, for the ride in may next month there is no extra fee to anyone, just show up at the border, hey since i live here in the valley, we hear more than you guys up there, so many locals are staying away from the border towns since the last 3 weeks, its been brutal with the criminal activity, just to think about it

uh, did I read this right? “brutal”, “think about...” :eek2:

details? thoughts? or...same old, same old?

the usual where everyone says we're crazy for going, however it's more than the usual car jacking and mugging to an extent where locals who always say it's the norm have stop going unless extremely necessary even they are cautious, but if we stick to our travel plan and just head straight for the mountains without letting others who don't really need to know, so I highly suggest we don't call the hotel. Philip don't call, it's better...

the usual where everyone says we're crazy for going, however it's more than the usual car jacking and mugging to an extent where locals who always say it's the norm have stop going unless extremely necessary even they are cautious, but if we stick to our travel plan and just head straight for the mountains without letting others who don't really need to know, so I highly suggest we don't call the hotel. Philip don't call, it's better...

nail-biting-o.gif

Just got my mejican permits in progreso, ready to ride, FYI - I can accommodate 4 truck with trailers only at my place and no charge BUT my place is not locked at night, only locked when my wife is at work so you need to make sure your trailer is locked and secured to your truck etc

Just got back from Galeana. We arrived Sunday evening, rode the Gold Standard, Los Lirios, and Cienega del Toro routes as outlined in MexTrek, then rode back to the border yesterday. Great weather -- 44 in the morning in Galeana and about 78 in the mountains in the daytime. Nothing but friendly people the entire time. Wishing we had at least another two days there. Stopped at Cola de Caballo on the way up to Laguna de Sanchez on Wednesday. The people in Rayones seemed very friendly (more so than Galeana actually). Great towns. Great people. Great food. Absolutely gorgeous scenery.

Attachments

• 20150427_135424.jpg
    20150427_135424.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 251
  • 20150427_135434.jpg
    20150427_135434.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 243
  • 20150427_121135.jpg
    20150427_121135.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 253
Nice, I figured as much, I can't wait someday very soon guys, hey my son wants to know if stalefishs picture is Daffy Duck?

Last edited:

Ride is still on & everyone is still welcome. PM me to join up.

Hey guys thanks for all the PM's been traveling & working, I will have everyone entered in the next 24 hours.

Done, so far I have;

philipbarrett
kayakkawakid
Stalefish
kojote
dmux

And if this bunch hasn't dissuaded you and your name isn't here please PM me. All are welcome.

You guys are going to have a blast! I 'll never forget my first time in Galeana. I would be with you, but I already have a MX trip planned for next month. :trust:
I have all the routes converted to tracks if you want them, let me know, I'll be watching this thread.
:chug:

JT, I would really like to get those tracks from you. I'll try to put them to good use.

Next up, what ya gotta do is read TricePilot's excellent guide to the legalities & practicalities of riding in Mexico;

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12049000&postcount=2

To sum up his list you need;

1) Mexico Insurance (I ran his MexAdventure link and the policy cost for 6 days was less than $50 including AirEvac).

2) Temporary Vehicle Import Permit (TVIP) - these can be purchased online (allow 7 days) or at the border. I think our plan should be to follow advice & purchase at the border, evening of May 21st? There are bond fees of $200 to $400 depending on year make payable by cash or credit card

3) Tourist Cards - purchased at the border, as above

4) Valid passport & motorcycle "Ownership Document" which can be the title or registration. Note that rules apply if you have a lien title, please investigate further if you are in this situation.

FYI spot checking of Mexico insurance papers is becoming more common

There is a whole host of benefits provided by the underwriters of most all the major Mexico policies that most buyers don't know they have because they don't read the fine print. Air evac insurance is one example - comes with the policy.

Plan is to meet up at kayakkawakid's place, Thursday 21st in Mercedes, TX in time to do the border paperwork on the Mexican side. There is a hotel that looks perfectly fine close to him. I called & they have availability for 4 rooms that night, rate would be roughly $76 with taxes. I'm happy to hold these on my credit card.

http://www.lacopainn.com/mercedes-hotels/

According to the Hidalgo/Pharr Border Station both they & the Mexican side are open 24 hours, however maybe a local can advise as to the accuracy of that info?

Next up, getting to McAllen. I posted a map showing everyone's locations here -

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z0wcdn13S_Jg.kMIRpbJVjnog

And we can contact each other though the spreadsheet I created earlier which I've now made accessible ONLY to this group (see email from Google).

This is ON guys! :rider:

Thanks again to Tricepilot for more great advice on money. You will need a total of $300 - $400US converted to Pesos to cover the trip including hotel. IBC Bank in McAllen does currency exchange and they are open until 5pm.

You will need a "day wallet" to use whilst riding, buying gas etc. and a place to safely stash the rest. Just good precautions since you don't want to be fumbling through large bills at a Pemex forecourt.

La copa hotel is fairly a new hotel next to a chilis and a whataburger and gas station, it's a good choice, I recommend getting pesos from your local bank, most will exchange at same rate, that way that's one less thing to do when you're down here and plan $100 per day = $400 no less in case you have to hire a local to transport your bike back to the border for example, that bridge crossing last I heard was open 24 hrs but the anzalduas bridge crossing in mission has less traffic and is where we were planning to cross, still need to confirm if it's open 24 hrs too, I will be off Thursday too so just ring me up when in town to give you directions etc

Back