• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Galveston seafood restaurant

Updates please. Last trip to Gaido's we found the menu was still very sparse. Surprised/disappointed at how limited Galveston is now regarding traditional seafood restaurants compared to the "old" days.

For 30 years I have liked Benno's on the east seawall.

Reasonably priced. Good. Fast friendly service.

exterior.jpg

Surprised/disappointed at how limited Galveston is now regarding traditional seafood restaurants compared to the "old" days.
Disappointing but not too surprising.
Tillman is slowly taking over the whole island, pushing out the Moodys.
His style of restaurants is bright, loud, fast and fun. Traditional style restaurants don't draw the Y and Z crowds.

That said, we just ate at Fishtales for lunch on Saturday(another Fertitta takeover). I had the seared tuna salad. Despite the noisy pleasure pier across the street we still enjoy the food and being able to see the beach & water from the balcony dining. Street traffic can be a bit noisy.

There are still a couple of restaurants off of Harborside Dr that are more traditional style. Despite the cruise terminal crowd, it seems Harborside is less flashy than Seawall side.

Looked at satilite picts of the island yesterday , lots of stuff missing that I used to visit , maybe thats why I havent been down there in years . Casey’s used to be the best seafood but since ive found much better without driving that far . Giados has never been on my list . And Marios on the seawall is probably my all time favorite and Original Mexican restraunt close to the strand . Lots of empty lots . That seems never got rebuilt after the last storm .

If you come up on the Mainland, try Top Water Grill:

If you like Cajun Grilled seafood, Benno's in the old Burger Chef location is pretty good. I haven't been there in years, but Fish Tales used have some decent food, although pricey.

Thanks folks. We have spent way too much time going to the Med Ctr in Houston in the last three/four years and if we get finished early enough we head down to Galveston for some better scenery making the drive back to our Beaumont area. We have enjoyed Fishtales, Original Mex,and the Sunflower. My history goes back to the fifties and really miss the traditional stuff now almost gone I guess. A quality stuffed flounder puts me in hog heaven! Will try some of the new places mentioned, times-a-changing no doubt! :thumb:

Month or so ago i stopped at Pine Island , first time Id been in 10 plus years , very disappointing , shrimp was mediocre and oysters were down right nasty . I guess building an all new fancy building was more important than keeping good cooks . But they wont need to worry about me coming again .

Thanks folks. We have spent way too much time going to the Med Ctr in Houston in the last three/four years and if we get finished early enough we head down to Galveston for some better scenery making the drive back to our Beaumont area. We have enjoyed Fishtales, Original Mex,and the Sunflower. My history goes back to the fifties and really miss the traditional stuff now almost gone I guess. A quality stuffed flounder puts me in hog heaven! Will try some of the new places mentioned, times-a-changing no doubt! :thumb:
The place on the Mainland (Top Water) in San Leon has a REALLY good stuffed flounder and is my go-to dish there.

Back