• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Galveston Seafood

Reaction score
Gonna be in Galveston for a couple days. Always liked Gaido's but wondering if there is another place of like quality. I know there was a couple other places but have been told the storms and Covid have killed them off. Suggestions?

Just rolled through there last Saturday . Didn`t do our homework and ended up eating at Salt Grass for lunch :giveup:

Pricey but all good food on the island is. Always had good food at Fisherman’s Warf. Make sure to order Shrimp Kisses for an appetizer.

We always like Fish Tales for seafood. It is across from the Pleasure Pier and is part of Tillman's empire but the food is still good.
For breakfast, one of our favorites is The Sunflower Cafe on 14th.

The Spot along Seawall is one of those lively places if you're looking for that type of thing.
All of these places mentioned have outdoor seating.

+1 for Sunflower Bakery breakfast. Not seafood, but if you want some quality Mexican food, try the Original Mexican Restaurant by UTMB ( close to Sunflower Bakery). If you get off the Island and run up to San Leon, Topwater Grill has some excellent seafood. It was on Texas Bucket List last weekend. If you like Cajun seafood, Benno’s on the sea wall is a good place. Their Cajun oysters are awesome. It’s east of the Pleasure Pier.

I know North Padre much better. Last time I was in Galveston, we ate at Landry's.

Been a few years since I’ve been there but I remember a smaller place next door to gaidos that was real good and not near as crowded . My favorites are Mario’s on the seawall on the east end and the original Mexican , when I’m looking for seafood it’s monument inn at Lynchburg or Repcas in the rice fields north of brookshire

Yeah, I also remember eating at Gaido's once, and they were good.

Last time we were there we found out some disappointing news. We wanted to stay away from the huge corporate owned seafood restaurants so we looked them all over very carefully and selected a smaller restaurant. Our waiter came by trying to get us to sign up for their loyalty card, and then he proceeded to list all the restaurants under the same ownership where we could use it and he listed almost every single restaurant we'd looked at, all the big ones and small ones. But our food was good, just seems like you'll likely be getting similar product no matter where you go.

On the island; if it's not owned by Moody, it's owned by Fertitta.
But the competition is good for consumers.

Thanks to all. Just gained 27 lbs just reading this. Should have added, we are looking for something on the upscale side for a "coming out" after the covid crunch. Probably end up at Gaido's, been good to us forever.

Bronco Burritos is a really good locals' spot for breakfast

Gaidos, its Seafood on the Island to me, been eating there since I was a kid at least once a year

Try the Black Pearl at Market & 25th Street. Nice Bar next door too, Market Street Pub.

I know this thread started earlier this month but when I'm around Galveston I go to Gilhooley's in San Leon. Great little dive, great food and no kids allowed. Period.

Yep. No kids. Big ole sign up front. Adult dive only. Not that anything adult is happening other than drinking, smoking and eating but I guess they don't want that riff raff because of the folks that frequent the place. Totally not your hipster hangout. But really great food. Bring cash only. They don't even have a ATM machine.

Galveston has plenty of seafood restaurants that cater to tourists who are more interested in quantity over quality. The Fertitta owned chains strive for mediocrity and they deliver it.
If you want upscale, Rudy & Paco's is very good and very pricey...but it's not the generic fried stuff that is on every menu in town. We'll only go there for very special occaisions but it never disappoints.
Looking for something different? Riondo's restaurant on the Strand is quiet, romantic, and possibly one of the very best meals we've ever had on the island.

Galveston has plenty of seafood restaurants that cater to tourists who are more interested in quantity over quality. The Fertitta owned chains strive for mediocrity and they deliver it.
If you want upscale, Rudy & Paco's is very good and very pricey...but it's not the generic fried stuff that is on every menu in town. We'll only go there for very special occaisions but it never disappoints.
Looking for something different? Riondo's restaurant on the Strand is quiet, romantic, and possibly one of the very best meals we've ever had on the island.
:thumb: :thumb:

Galveston island seafood the place to go is Shrimp N' Stuff at 39th and O. Awesome hole in the wall local restaurant. We drive from Conroe to eat there occasionaly even when we dont go to the beach.

That might be the place that @therealbigman told us to go a few years back. I'm surprised he hasn't seen this thread [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Says the smoking Iratollah...

Back