• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Garmin Overlander

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
Sitting at my desk pulling up some routes from last years Ouray epic rides and starting thinking how I need to start carrying cheater glasses so I can see my Garmin 680 when I am riding. I jumped onto the Garmin site just to see if there is anything new and saw this Overlander. Man, 7" touch screen Android tablet navigation system. Don't really think it would be practical, but it sure looks cool. Oh and it adds global back country text messaging via the InReach device if you have one.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/685257

P.S. Richard, you had some kick butt routes for us last year, really enjoying Google Earthing them again at my desk!

I wear safety glasses with cheater bifocals in the bottom so I can see the gps on the fly. I have dark and clear both.

I am going to check out that overland also.

Sitting at my desk pulling up some routes from last years Ouray epic rides and starting thinking how I need to start carrying cheater glasses so I can see my Garmin 680 when I am riding. I jumped onto the Garmin site just to see if there is anything new and saw this Overlander. Man, 7" touch screen Android tablet navigation system. Don't really think it would be practical, but it sure looks cool. Oh and it adds global back country text messaging via the InReach device if you have one.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/685257

P.S. Richard, you had some kick butt routes for us last year, really enjoying Google Earthing them again at my desk!
Something else to pry our money away. Looks like the ultimate!

The overland doesn't appear to support tracks and doesn't appear to be waterproof. I hope they continue to develop this. I still like a dedicated GPS, but the current offerings seem to be lacking. I like my Montana over all but it is getting long in the tooth and the display has a few lines going across it. The one complaint i have about it is that the maps are only stored on the SD card so if i put an SD card in to get a map my card that has "city navigator" map has to be removed, so now I don't have a rotatable gps that can search and find gas, hotel, or wal-mart. Small inconvenience, but a reality none the less. The latest setup I ran was to have a custom map with a track on my Montana and an old Nuvi running city navigator side by side. I kept the Montana zoomed in tight on the track and the Nuvi zoomed out to see general lay of the land and my position. I like this and may replace the Nuvi with a zumo, but man they are expensive.

I like my Montana over all but it is getting long in the tooth and the display has a few lines going across it.

My 600 just started doing the lines on the screen thing July 4th. Garmin just sent me a refurbed 610 for $160. My 600 is going in the mail to them. They claim that they will transfer the unlock codes for my maps to the new unit. I think I am going to have to pester them about that... They also would have let me send in the old 600 and get a 20% discount on any new unit, but none of the new units really looked any good compared to a 600/610 :shrug:

With all the folks using their cell phones now as GPS units, I have to wonder if Garmin has taken a big hit in their sales :ponder:

The overland doesn't appear to support tracks and doesn't appear to be waterproof. I hope they continue to develop this. I still like a dedicated GPS, but the current offerings seem to be lacking. I like my Montana over all but it is getting long in the tooth and the display has a few lines going across it. The one complaint i have about it is that the maps are only stored on the SD card so if i put an SD card in to get a map my card that has "city navigator" map has to be removed, so now I don't have a rotatable gps that can search and find gas, hotel, or wal-mart. Small inconvenience, but a reality none the less. The latest setup I ran was to have a custom map with a track on my Montana and an old Nuvi running city navigator side by side. I kept the Montana zoomed in tight on the track and the Nuvi zoomed out to see general lay of the land and my position. I like this and may replace the Nuvi with a zumo, but man they are expensive.
how dumb that they dont have the waterproof and tracks

With all the folks using their cell phones now as GPS units, I have to wonder if Garmin has taken a big hit in their sales :ponder:

I’ve done this and it seems to be a good option. Wonder why more riders don’t go this route! Probably some disadvantages but what I’m not sure what.

Back