• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gave up mounting a tire for the first time

Kshaw

Reaction score
I have mounted at least 14+ motorcycle tires with just 2 tire spoons and lube. I’ve ran tubliss on 2 bikes as well. But today gents, I had to give up on mounting an AX41 rear on a tubliss rim for my ktm. Never struggled so hard in my life haha.

Have any of you given up mounting before, and if you did, where did you take it? Honestly I’m so mad I just want to get a new tire because these will suck coming back off!

I did many times. hurt fingers for days. Until I bought the Baja No-Pinch system. Expensive but makes it less of a chore.

I did many times. hurt fingers for days. Until I bought the Baja No-Pinch system. Expensive but makes it less of a chore.

That is worth the $$ very good ideal. Guess the first bead from the inside then the outer bead?

Interesting. Never seen something like that. I’m 99% sure this tire is a 17” rim and they misprinted the side to say 18” because it wasn’t even close. I even used 4 clamps to keep it in the drop down center of the rim. Either that or the tubeless AX41 isn’t designed at all to be used with the ktm rim. You can see in the pic it isn’t even close. Can’t even see the rim, there’s no way the tire would stretch over it.

Attachments

• 9B801880-6CE3-4DC8-A199-24E81B4EFCCC.jpeg
    9B801880-6CE3-4DC8-A199-24E81B4EFCCC.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 204
Did you get the inside bead over rim?
Yup. The other side is all good. Tomorrow I’m going to try taking it somewhere, I’ll call and see if a place can do it. I’m hesitant because it’s tubliss system and people don’t want to do it.

If the inner bead went on seems like the outer would. I use windex. Maybe there is something wrong with tire. I would try from otherside and reverse which side goes on first. Good luck let us know what happens. You'll get it. Maybe heat tire up some with heat gun since can't really leave out in sun. Bring it in the house overnight.

And there's absolutely no slack to be gained from the rim channel of the area off screen of the side already mounted and the bead already started?

I must not use it right, very little help on back and almost none on front as it doesn't really reach on 21" rim. Tips?

put a hair blow dryer in it for a few minutes. warm tire is much more pliable.

The Tubliss is not helping. It takes up a lot of space in the center of the rim. I’m thinking maybe the clamps you’re using are pulling the lower bead up against the Tubliss, and not letting the top bead get far enough down into the center of the rim. I bet it would go right on with a normal tube.

The Tubliss is not helping. It takes up a lot of space in the center of the rim. I’m thinking maybe the clamps you’re using are pulling the lower bead up against the Tubliss, and not letting the top bead get far enough down into the center of the rim. I bet it would go right on with a normal tube.
Yup that’s what I think. The tubliss isn’t letting it drop in the center. It’s fine though I think I’m going to unmount the front and give the set away or sell em cheap. My new tires came in. Afraid I’ll burn these down too quick on the road but oh well.

Attachments

• 82528A08-4D10-4CA7-9393-BA5A43769BFF.jpeg
    82528A08-4D10-4CA7-9393-BA5A43769BFF.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 167
Only once given up, and it wasn't on the mounting it was on seating the bead. I took the old tire off and put the new one on, couldn't get it to seat. Tried all the tricks I could find on the internet. Took the tire off and put the old one on and seated the bead in seconds. Swapped back to the new one and couldn't get it to seat at all. I tossed in the towel and took it to the local bike shop. The guys in the shop smirked when I told them it wouldn't seat and pulled out the air hose. In the end it took four of them pushing on the tire and two with air hoses, one in the stem and another shooting in the side to get it to finally seat. Even they admitted they were almost beaten by it. Never had any problems with it after that. Good luck with yours.

Took it to a shop and 45 min later they gave up. About ready to sawzall it off. If someone wants a case a beer and a free set of new AX41’s they welcome to try.

Take picture and get your money back.
I don't think it is the tire it is the tubliss system that hinders it from getting all the way into the drop center. That system definitely makes it harder to mount a tire. I know lots of folks love that system, but i'm not one of them.

Wish i was closer i'd like to check it out.

Update: I used a sawzall and wire clippers to cut the bead and remove the tire. I also had to destroy the front as well to remove it. Only thing I can think of is the tire does say tubeless and maybe because of this the bead is set so far inward that it just naturally rests almost in the drop center of the rim and with the tubliss bladder it just doesn’t work. It could also be my rim, as this is the first ktm I’ve ever owned and had it about a week.

I did manage to install both front and rear goldentyre gt333 and gt216aa fatty in about 20 minutes each.

Back