• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gearing change

Reaction score
Bought slightly used 16 CRF250L in March. Stock gearing is 14 - 40. I first installed a 45 rear & was pleased. But put a 13 front yesterday & now - It's alive. 13 - 45.
Tested on the hwy @ 60 mph & was fine with plenty more top speed on tap. Going out to Xtreme for a real dirt test today.

I tried the 13-45 on mine and I liked it for single track. I ride the 250L on the road primarily so I switched back to the 14 on the front and 45 rear.

The 13-45 was good but first gear is so low it is almost unusable. I didn't use it at all on the street as I would just start in 2nd gear.

Here's one of those unanticipated consequences...buddy switched to 13/52 for really technical stuff in the mountains. Worked great but...when he got back on pavement his engine locked up. The verdict was rpm was so high for so long that the oil volume wasn't enough to be everywhere at once or got so frothy to be marginally effective.

Back