• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

getting body back into riding shape, especially hands

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,

With the break down of our five month rain/dismal/cold/overcast pattern in Houston, I have been riding more. Most of this winter I have averaged one short ride maybe every three weeks. Been out five times this week, including once on my bicycle. What I find, especially after a day like today--- my body is sore. Rode the MV Agusta about 150 miles today, big loop from Sugar Land to Belleville, then around and home. Gorgeous day, lots of wildflowers, all good. Met my friend Mitch for lunch at Newman's Bakery, he was on his Zed 900 Kwacker. I had high head winds on the way home. Anyway, yep, Advil time. I have small hands, and also one back muscle that just starts complaining after about 100 miles.

So, back into riding shape. I guess I should have used my hand grip exerciser thingy-thing this winter. The MV is tougher on my body than the cushy Moto Guzzi. Controls are extremely sensitive, and a bit stiffer, and wind blast is higher. And, I think I ride a bit tense on the Italian Terror due to its incredible power, and lightning style responsiveness.

Anyway, after a few weeks, my body will be back into a more resilient mode, with hand strength better. And, I try to stretch my back and entire body.

Dang, forgot to take a picture of our two bikes. They are a "bumptious pair", per one of the sayings of Winston Churchill.

YMMV, EOM

Only two ways to cure your problems :trust: And you know what they are.

Hmm... ride more and ride more? Being almost half way to 70 is part of the issue too...

You have one right. Ride more. Since you guessed right twice you get an A.

Stickers ??? We don't need no stinking STICKERS !

Hmm... ride more and ride more? Being almost half way to 70 is part of the issue too...

LoL :rider:

Hand stiffness/soreness is also an issue when you’re more than half way to 100 :eek2:
Guess more ridding is in order. :dude:

Last edited:
Reactions: Vec
I will add that local roads are packed with left hand turning cagers, constructions, horrid intersections and huge trucks. Hence the tension.
Constant total vigilance is required to survive. When I lose that edge, I will sell out and quit and buy a Porsche 911 convertible.

Pretty simple system. Join a gym and go four days a week. Get a trainer. Quit eating bait and eat fuel instead. Sleep more. And if you're really serious, buy a dirt bike. I turned 60 two months ago and have never felt better... well maybe when I was 28 and still running.

Pretty simple system. Join a gym and go four days a week. Get a trainer. Quit eating bait and eat fuel instead. Sleep more. And if you're really serious, buy a dirt bike. I turned 60 two months ago and have never felt better... well maybe when I was 28 and still running.
Sounds simple, in real life not that easy for me! But I do still ride the dirty bike!!

...So, back into riding shape. I guess I should have used my hand grip exerciser thingy-thing this winter...

I believe JMZ's #2
Is that what we're calling it nowadays? LOL

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

three score plus some... yeah I hear you... lol...

For the past 30 years, I work out for an hour 5 days a week, running on the treadmill and lifting weights. This is both good and bad for motorcycle riding.

Bad: When it comes to my weekend adventures I don't have any excess stored up energy. The fuel got spent during the week.

Good: I think I am using endurance and strength during the ride and my recovery is complete after a good nights sleep. Very little or no soreness the next day. My left hand is always fresh because I ride a DCT motorcycle :)

If you are starting the work out thing, you need to be aware your muscles will be tightly strung when it comes to the weekend. Do lots of stretching. I would guess it probably takes a solid couple of months for your body to adjust.

I am in reasonable, but not outstanding shape. Never been very athletic. I do walk a lot, and stretch, and hit gym for weights. Don't go to gym enough.
I do bicycle, my favorite form of exercise. Small hands are an issue. In general Hobbit-like in many ways. Love mushrooms and taters.

Did somebody say mushrooms ?
da42ceb5c02d7569d16d20b960196025.jpg

Stickers ??? We don't need no stinking STICKERS !

Back