• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Getting gasoline - what price for you?

Paid $3.79 last night for Prem. This new Aprilia gets some seriously bad gas milage. Low fuel light went on at 46 miles. Took 1.3 gallons to fill it up. Oh wait, I guess it isn't that bad. Having a 1.9 gallon tank is a **** though. :lol2:

Skip Hunt makes an interesting observation since starting his recent trip to Mexico:

One thing I can't figure out is... why the gas hasn't really gone up much since I was here over a year ago. I thought this oil problem we're dealing with in the U.S. was a global problem? If so... why doesn't it appear to effect Mexico?

I have put one tank of gas in my truck this year and it is sitting on 3/4 of a tank at the moment.

Ride more and drive less is my moto.

I have put one tank of gas in my truck this year and it is sitting on 3/4 of a tank at the moment.

Ride more and drive less is my moto.

That's because you ride with others when you can't :rider: .

I've put a battery maintainer on the van. Also put Seafoam in the tank. It will need oil and filter before driving it again--about 2700 miles in 5 months, and that includes a trip to Big Bend.

Skip Hunt makes an interesting observation since starting his recent trip to Mexico:

:tab I would speculate that as an exporter of oil and with a nationalized oil industry, Mexico can afford to keep back part of its supply to keep gas cheap in Mexico. Given the political benefits of keeping the masses happy, this is a smart thing for them to do. My understanding is that this is common in oil exporting countries.

Gas jumped 12 cents per gallon at lunch - at every local station... all within an hour or so window. $3.71.9 for regular at the station across the street.

With the rapid price increases we have been seeing, has anyone started stockpiling? Obviously, it is easier to do with diesel than gas, but still... anyone?

Stockpiling? Yeah, I've got a 2 gallon can for the mower. Does that count?:mrgreen: If I bought 300 gallons, the price would drop a dollar the next day. :rolleyes: I had a motorhome in 79 when the gas lines started. I can see doing it for if we start getting shortages again. I filled that thing up and just siphoned what I needed that summer for the bike. Didn't drive my Toyota much. I made it though the summer without having to sit in a gas line more'n a couple of times.:mrgreen: I could do that ploy with the van if I needed to. That motorhome had 70 gallons capacity. The van only has 35 gallons, but that'd last a while on the little bike.

Gas is 3.65 at walmart. I had to gas the wing, was 10 cents cheaper at HEB because they haven't gotten a delivery lately. Every delivery they get, it jumps five or 10 cents.:giveup:

Been thinking again. (Uh-oh!)

What are the possibilities that the stupid-low interest rates and bail-outs and unsecured loans are specifically designed to transfer wealth to the plutocrats?

With the rapid price increases we have been seeing, has anyone started stockpiling? Obviously, it is easier to do with diesel than gas, but still... anyone?

I filled up the bathtub. For some reason, the wife was NOT happy. :mrgreen:

The stuff about speculation and regulation has been pulled and move here since it was going off the original topic.

I want to learn how to make E-85 moonshine. There's lots of steals for sale on ebay. :lol2:

Only the alcohol part of E-85 is related to moonshine. You definately don't want to drink E-85, though.

You come up with a still and I'll give you a recipe.

$1.55 per liter here x 3.874 (US gallon) = $6.00 per US gallon.

A co-worker of mine just got back from the UK. He said it was nearly $10 a gallon there (doing the math)... It cost him $200 for a taxi ride from the airport to his hotel. The whole thing is nuts, the world's pricing has gone mad.

Wayne

i paid $3.91 this morning in Friendswood...that's pretty close to $4...it is just a matter of time. pretty sad when paying $3.50 would make me feel good.

I'm going to have to drive to Edna today to finish a job. I charge 'em 40 bucks out of county. I think I'm going to have to go up on that in the not too distant future. I'm taking the car to economize, but sometimes I have to take the van if I have to haul equipment on the trailer.

I filled up my 2008 Silverado Friday May 9th with E85 at $3.14/gallon but didn't look at the price for Super. I then filled up yesterday May 13th with regular and paid $3.65/gallon. The E85 may be cleaner and greener but it is much less efficient. I only averaged 10MPG on that tank compared to a tank of regular that usually gets around 17MPH if it's mostly highway miles. I have a SuperChips tuner I have been experimenting with and may try Super to see if I can get even more miles from a tank of gas. The tuner allows you to change the engine and transmission computer. I tried it a few weeks ago but had it in performance mode instead of economy. I may try towing mode to see how it handles as well. When I did use Super a week or so ago I think I paid around $3.75/gallon but I'm not sure. It's most likely close to $4/gallon around here right now if not more.

I'm going to have to drive to Edna today to finish a job. I charge 'em 40 bucks out of county. I think I'm going to have to go up on that in the not too distant future. I'm taking the car to economize, but sometimes I have to take the van if I have to haul equipment on the trailer.

If I leave the shop we charge .501/2 cents a mile roundtrip.

Jack:
Off Topic:
The reason I hate rain is I learned that while my skills are pretty good on two wheels in the dry, wet weather changes everything. My early riding days 20+ years ago I was caught in the remnants of Hurricane alicia (i think) as it broke up into storms here in north texas. Well it was a huge eye opener for me as I was riding home. No place to pull off, both boots completely full of water and
pavement was slick due to oil washing off. Might as well of been ice. This was all AFTER an hours downpour.

What I am saying is you might control the bike but the rider has absolutely NO control of road conditions or weather and the adversity that goes with it, more so when its wet. Dry can be bad enough.;-)

I decided then that I would never deliberately go riding in wet conditions again. Now that is not to say I have not gotten caught in the rain. But if its wet outside I will not be taking any un-necessary chances in it. Its a risk I choose not to take.

On Topic:
Paid 3.71/gal to fill the wing up yesterday afternoon

David
JPD: just plain dumb

Jack:
Off Topic:
The reason I hate rain is I learned that while my skills are pretty good on two wheels in the dry, wet weather changes everything. My early riding days 20+ years ago I was caught in the remnants of Hurricane alicia (i think) as it broke up into storms here in north texas. Well it was a huge eye opener for me as I was riding home. No place to pull off, both boots completely full of water and
pavement was slick due to oil washing off. Might as well of been ice. This was all AFTER an hours downpour.

What I am saying is you might control the bike but the rider has absolutely NO control of road conditions or weather and the adversity that goes with it, more so when its wet. Dry can be bad enough.;-)

I decided then that I would never deliberately go riding in wet conditions again. Now that is not to say I have not gotten caught in the rain. But if its wet outside I will not be taking any un-necessary chances in it. Its a risk I choose not to take.

On Topic:
Paid 3.71/gal to fill the wing up yesterday afternoon

David
JPD: just plain dumb

Many people feel exactly the same way. If you aren't comfortable with bad weather, you're making the best possible decision for yourself. :rider:

Yeah, it's a skill, riding in the rain. It requires smoothness and awareness of the tires and feel for what they are doing. I have somewhat of a talent for wet riding. When I raced, I'd often pray for rain. :lol2: Separates the men from the boys and gave me an advantage. Even won some races on slicks in the rain. Talk about walkin' a tight rope in the corners!:lol2: But, they stick okay so long as it ain't ponding too bad. I have busted my butt in the wet, though. :lol2: But, I rode through tropical storm Claudette in 1979 from College Station to Brazoria, 60 mph side wind and driving rain. That's not normal. :lol2: But, you do what you gotta do and I'm not skird. But, it's an acquired skill set and many avoid rain for those reasons. If you're not used to it, it can hurt you. You have to leave yourself more room, be really smooth, don't be ham fisted on the brakes or throttle. I have been in situations with vehicles tail gating me on wet pavement where I really didn't wanna run over the speed limit that I would have rather avoided. I don't like being in heavy traffic on wet, slick pavement. I avoid that, myself. :trust: Someone cuts you off, smoothness on the brakes or controls can fly right out the window. So long as it's an open road or just light traffic, I can handle it. But, 59 through Sugar Land seems somewhat suicidal even on DRY pavement. :lol2: See, there's a difference in the clean, controlled environment of the track and the perpetual road construction and bumper to bumper POed commuters on some commutes. I'll weigh the situation before I leave. If I had to ride 59 every day, I'd buy an old truck, put big, heavy pipe bumpers on either end and a brush guard on it. I'd buy it somewhat beat up, put a big V8 in it and just dare people to mess with me. :rofl:

Yeah, it's a skill, riding in the rain. It requires smoothness and awareness of the tires and feel for what they are doing. I have somewhat of a talent for wet riding. When I raced, I'd often pray for rain. :lol2: Separates the men from the boys and gave me an advantage. Even won some races on slicks in the rain. Talk about walkin' a tight rope in the corners!:lol2: But, they stick okay so long as it ain't ponding too bad. I have busted my butt in the wet, though. :lol2: But, I rode through tropical storm Claudette in 1979 from College Station to Brazoria, 60 mph side wind and driving rain. That's not normal. :lol2: But, you do what you gotta do and I'm not skird. But, it's an acquired skill set and many avoid rain for those reasons. If you're not used to it, it can hurt you. You have to leave yourself more room, be really smooth, don't be ham fisted on the brakes or throttle. I have been in situations with vehicles tail gating me on wet pavement where I really didn't wanna run over the speed limit that I would have rather avoided. I don't like being in heavy traffic on wet, slick pavement. I avoid that, myself. :trust: Someone cuts you off, smoothness on the brakes or controls can fly right out the window. So long as it's an open road or just light traffic, I can handle it. But, 59 through Sugar Land seems somewhat suicidal even on DRY pavement. :lol2: See, there's a difference in the clean, controlled environment of the track and the perpetual road construction and bumper to bumper POed commuters on some commutes. I'll weigh the situation before I leave. If I had to ride 59 every day, I'd buy an old truck, put big, heavy pipe bumpers on either end and a brush guard on it. I'd buy it somewhat beat up, put a big V8 in it and just dare people to mess with me. :rofl:

I won't set out on a for-fun ride in the rain, but if I need to be somewhere, weather doesn't stop me.

I've noticed that my reserve comes on sooner and sooner. Always use my trip odometer. Always buy the fuel for the bike at the same location. I'm wondering is it ethanol or is it the station messing with the pumps. Anyone else with mileage drop lately?

I HAVE definitly noticed a mileage drop from what i was getting this time last year. I was getting 120 miles on the highway at 75 before i had to hit reserve, now i am making about 105 or so. I always buy premium unleaded from QT whenever possible, i don't notice any difference but my bike seems to like the QT fuel.

I HAVE definitly noticed a mileage drop from what i was getting this time last year. I was getting 120 miles on the highway at 75 before i had to hit reserve, now i am making about 105 or so. I always buy premium unleaded from QT whenever possible, i don't notice any difference but my bike seems to like the QT fuel.

That 12.5% drop in efficiency would be typical for a switch to gasohol. I can see a % or two in a mal-adjusted meter, but 12.5% would be a little obvious.

Back