• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Getting gasoline - what price for you?

I HAVE definitly noticed a mileage drop from what i was getting this time last year. I was getting 120 miles on the highway at 75 before i had to hit reserve, now i am making about 105 or so. I always buy premium unleaded from QT whenever possible, i don't notice any difference but my bike seems to like the QT fuel.

Is your bike high compression or super advanced timing? If not, why run premium? It's actually harder on the bike to run premium if the bike does not require it.

Jack G, KenH:
offtopic:
Last spring was caught in the rain. I knew it would not last long and no
we did not have suits on, was two up on the wing. Pavement slick, slick, slick
Pulled off and it let up while at stop light had been northbound on East loop 820 in Fort Worth. Same day friend of mine was caught in same storm and exited his motorcycle at 50 mph landing in a concrete culvert with pretty severe injuries. He is over 60 years old. Retired military

If its light rain its not too bad and the traffic light its not near the bother a frog strangler in heavy traffic is.

ontopic:
Diesel fuel prices is getting real depressing. Rode to Aquilla yesterday and noticed
prices were 4.69 gallon at various places.

Is your bike high compression or super advanced timing? If not, why run premium? It's actually harder on the bike to run premium if the bike does not require it.

The bike just seems to run best on high octane. I ride it hard sometimes and it will detonate pretty hard on the freeway if i get on it hard above 65 with regular fuel.

Is this thread about fuel cost? I passed a sign this morning showing diesel @ $4.89/gal:eek2:

We just got back from a funeral in Hawaii. After hearing all the horror stories about fuel costs there, I was surprised to find $3.80/gal rather common. Their prices haven't increased as quickly as they have here. From what I understand, it was about $3.60 a year ago there. Never saw $4.00 for regular.

In BCS I see $3.60-3.70

I gassed up my motorcycle on Friday after the fuel light came on. I cost me $22.44 to fill it up with mid-grade. :brainsnap I'm glad I don't drive a Suburban.

Just put in 67.51 in the Tacoma, similar to what tim had stated earlier, the most I have ever paid for a tank of fuel for this truck. It had the fuel light on and was pretty empty.
I don't really watch price per gallon much. I just buy what I need (I have a short commute of about 6 miles each way down a farm road,not rich)and glance up at the pump so I can know what it is when I balance the checking account online. The 67 bucks did catch my eye today, had me standing there shaking my head a lil.:giveup:

Nearby crude oil futures almost kissed $130.00 by just a hair. Natural gas is cheap on a relative basis. Now to convert yer car into natural gas :)

RB

CNG conversions have been doable for years. Unfortunately, the compressor used to fill that big, heavy tank that takes up half your trunk space is very expensive. Also, CNG is a very "dry" fuel and prolonged use under heavy loads can cause rapid damage to valves and seats.

While there are many fuels that can be used as alternatives to gasoline, none duplicate gasoline's versatility, for any price.

The drama continues :doh:

House passes bill to sue OPEC over oil prices

As if that won't just drive prices even higher! :argh: How do such idiots manage to convince people that they should be in positions of power... :brainsnap

Scott: I agree but is this the "real" reason those idiots did what they did/
The legislation also creates a Justice Department task force to aggressively investigate gasoline price gouging and energy market manipulation.

"This bill guarantees that oil prices will reflect supply and demand economic rules, instead of wildly speculative and perhaps illegal activities," said Democratic Rep. Steve Kagen of Wisconsin, who sponsored the legislation.
Wally, suffering at $4.15/gal

Scott: I agree but is this the "real" reason those idiots did what they did/
The legislation also creates a Justice Department task force to aggressively investigate gasoline price gouging and energy market manipulation.

"This bill guarantees that oil prices will reflect supply and demand economic rules, instead of wildly speculative and perhaps illegal activities," said Democratic Rep. Steve Kagen of Wisconsin, who sponsored the legislation.
Wally, suffering at $4.15/gal

Please define gouging. I think it mere political grandstanding :roll: If we are going to investigate market manipulation, how about we start with examining the role of the government in the market via regulations, taxes, and also its wanton destruction of the dollar ;-)

Haven't you made that same comment already?

:tab I thought so, but apparently I am missing something :-P When does the price become gouging? How do we know ahead of time? There are no rules. It is always an after the fact judgment. One person's gouging is another's perfectly reasonable price. To allow for the claim of gouging is to completely deny the right of private property and to approve the use of force to confiscate such property for the benefit of others. If we are so worried about gouging, then the government should just go ahead and enforce price controls so there is no question about how the price is set. Of course, we soon have LONG lines at the pump again... :doh:

I paid $2.21 per gallon of diesel this past weekend. I think I might have to make weekly trips to the beach just to get good deals on fuel. Hmm, at $2 per gallon cheaper, how long would it take to pay off a 100 gallon in bed tank?

:tab I thought so, but apparently I am missing something :-P When does the price become gouging? How do we know ahead of time? There are no rules. It is always an after the fact judgment. One person's gouging is another's perfectly reasonable price. To allow for the claim of gouging is to completely deny the right of private property and to approve the use of force to confiscate such property for the benefit of others. If we are so worried about gouging, then the government should just go ahead and enforce price controls so there is no question about how the price is set. Of course, we soon have LONG lines at the pump again... :doh:

I view the massive run-up in fuel prices as mirroring about what is happening on the world futures market. This is invisible hand of the market forces.

Gas stations, within reason, will track the spot prices of gasoline. There might be small deviations based on location, transportation cost etc.

Regard to gouging, I think hardware stores charging 5-8 times than the prevailing value for say a hammer or lumber during the Katrina incident would be a better example.

RB

Had a friend with a Chevy Silverado back in 76 that converted to propane/gasoline. Easy enough to do with a carbureted engine. Not sure how you'd do it with EFI. +1 for carburetors. :mrgreen:

I have a setup for carter carbs, goes on top of your carb. This was in a jeep, we had dual fuel, flip a switch to off, let the gas carb run dry, flip to propane, and start the engine. The timing was a bit retarted for propane, but all is good, didn't matter much.

Regard to gouging, I think hardware stores charging 5-8 times than the prevailing value for say a hammer or lumber during the Katrina incident would be a better example.

RB

Why is supply and demand to be suspended during an emergency? Why does an emergency suspend property rights?

Why is supply and demand to be suspended during an emergency? Why does an emergency suspend property rights?

In general is it morally wrong (remember, you're the guy that promotes absolutes in morality - to which I agree). In the example of the Katrina victims they needed the items they're buying. And gougers know this. And they ratchet up their prices to take advantage of that need. That looks an awful lot like exploitation, and that seems wrong.

It’s one question whether prices should be allowed to adjust freely fer market forces, and another whether someone who exploits that freedom. In extreme circumstances of widespread suffering etc....the Government can and does suspend certain rules. This provides a sense of base for rebuilding.

RB

Back