• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ghostrider's Camp-out ride, Gatesville Tx. March 2012

Reaction score
Thank you Ghostrider1964 for having us over for your camp-out! I truly enjoyed your generous hospitality, and you live in some incredibly great riding country! Mudclod and RoaDmap thanks for sharing those very special roads in your area. I was blown away by what we rode in the Gatesville, Fort Hood, Belton, Kempner and Stillhouse area.
RickM, Clark and Curtis are really great guys too, and I felt pretty special to be riding with them. Hasbeen, great seeing you - I always get a kick out of your stories! TXJames, nice meeting you - and I am glad your healed up and racing!

These tracks show what I had planned to ride (magenta) and what was added to the ride by Mudclod (lime green).
I must thank Mudclod for entertaining us with his immense knowledge of the Fort Hood and Belton areas. Mudclod and his buddies have been riding these parts for decades and it was a treat to hear the history of the trails and dirt roads, and how access has changed since "back in the days when..."!
Stories of floods and military operations were abound too, great stuff!
ROadMap's eastern tracks took me through hills and valleys, farm land and lakes that were incredible. Really high quality roads, loaded with scenery and sweeping turns with some hairpin turns.
mudclod_tracks.jpg

ghostrider_spring_ride_001.jpg

ghostrider_spring_ride_004.jpg

ghostrider_spring_ride_003.jpg

ghostrider_spring_ride_006.jpg

Our first water-crossing - I always get nervous navigating these.
I try not to get tense and just chug across in first gear with the engine just above idle.
Hands off the brakes, and no sudden throttle, and no handlebar input, gets us through.
ghostrider_spring_ride_007.jpg

By chance we hooked up with Mudclod and his buddies earlier than expected.
I have been wanting to ride with Mudclod for over a year, happy the time has come!
ghostrider_spring_ride_011.jpg

Mudclods DRZ is super-sweet and includes a nice custom made dash and control center.
ghostrider_spring_ride_010.jpg

ghostrider_spring_ride_012.jpg

The KLX 250 gets real high marks from Clark who is super experienced!
ghostrider_spring_ride_013.jpg

Mudclod, doing the deed! His "ALL SEEING EYE" on his helmet provides lots of entertainment!
ghostrider_spring_ride_014.jpg

ghostrider_spring_ride_015.jpg

ghostrider_spring_ride_016.jpg

ghostrider_spring_ride_018.jpg

This is the most beautiful spring in quite a few years.
Our drought conditions and wild-fires have made the last couple of years rather nerve-wracking.
Finally some relief!
ghostrider_spring_ride_020.jpg

ghostrider_spring_ride_021.jpg

ghostrider_spring_ride_022.jpg

We ate lunch here! Can you guess where? The chocolate malt was freakin awesome.
ghostrider_spring_ride_023.jpg

Later in the day now and we are close to Ghostrider's place. Mighty fine country to live in!
ghostrider_spring_ride_024.jpg

ghostrider_spring_ride_025.jpg

Ghostrider's fire rocked, and was even still burning to warm us up in the morning.
ghostrider_spring_ride_028.jpg

The following morning started cool and a bit misty, but cool and moist is what we need these days!
ghostrider_spring_ride_031.jpg

Plus I kinda got a kick out of the dew on the bikes.
ghostrider_spring_ride_030.jpg

ghostrider_spring_ride_033.jpg

ghostrider_spring_ride_034.jpg

ghostrider_spring_ride_038.jpg

ghostrider_spring_ride_039.jpg

ghostrider_spring_ride_041.jpg

Some rockin coolness at the restaurant where we grabbed breakfast.
An interesting mix of Elvis and the Beatles... in Gatesville! I would have liked to seen them.
ghostrider_spring_ride_042.jpg

ghostrider_spring_ride_043.jpg

ghostrider_spring_ride_044.jpg

Flooded at Lake Belton, but no problem-o. Tons of great riding in the area.
ghostrider_spring_ride_045.jpg

ghostrider_spring_ride_046.jpg

Most certainly too deep and muddy, sorry to disappoint Mudclod's "ALL SEEING EYE"!
ghostrider_spring_ride_047.jpg

I rode a lot of this solo on the last stretch home. Once it hooked up with Hwy 183 I was home by 3:30.
Thanks for what I am sure was one of my best rides this year *:happay :happay
ghostrider_spring_ride_048.jpg

Great photos, looks like a good time. I would like to explore some of those roads the next time I'm visiting my inlaws, thanks for sharing...

Thanks Ghost for hosting an outstanding event, can't wait to return and try those awesome trails ya'll have worked so hard on. TX James is very talented as your images attest to. Glad I saw him with my own two eyes! And thanks to Patrice for putting up with Clark, Bultaco, RickM and myself. I'm sure you realized we're all about fun! Don't wait a year to ride with us again.
005-3.jpg
008-1.jpg
016-1.jpg
014-2.jpg
015-3.jpg
013-1.jpg
019-2.jpg
012-2.jpg
048.jpg
050-1.jpg
060.jpg
011-3.jpg