• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gila Monster dual sport adventure rally - Aug 22 - 28, 2021

Just noticed this thread. The Gila wilderness and surrounding area has offered one of be best DS experiences I’ve had to date. 👀 on dis

Last edited:
Reactions: JT
I’m thinking about heading out to Reserve in August for the Gila Monster rally. Anyone else from the East Texas area? I’m from Paris

I have rented a house right by the rally start meeting point. There is a bedroom with a twin bed and 2 bunk beds and a sleeper sofa in the living room that are available. Contact me if you’re interested in a place to stay for the rally. Frank. Text me at(512)789-6779.

My question before signing up is what is the weather generally like in August? I would think that it will be very warm. On the fence.

With the altitude it'll be cooler than Texas, less humidity. It's monsoon season too so that will help.

I'm glad New Mexico is getting rain this monsoon season since they have had a really bad drought. I just hope it lets up by the time this event happens.

I'm glad New Mexico is getting rain this monsoon season since they have had a really bad drought. I just hope it lets up by the time this event happens.
We spent 5 days in Raton over July 4th and I have never seen it that green in all the years I have been going up there. It was pretty cool to see.

Riders,

I just spoke with Jenn at the Hidden Springs Inn about the current room reservations. She asked that if you are planning on staying at Hidden Springs and you a) haven't already reserved a room or b) haven't given them your credit card to hold your reservations, then you should do that today!!!

We have a hold on all the rooms at Hidden Springs for our event but that hold is going away on all rooms that are a) unreserved and b) reserved but no credit card info on file.

Not sure if you reserved your room with a credit card? Call Hidden Springs now and confirm.

Not sure if you have a reservation? Call Hidden Springs now and confirm.

If you wait, you may not have a room when you arrive.

I'm in. Boondocker. Bringing 500 EXC and Multistrada for riding to Morenci (at least once, that road was a major selling point!). Hope others have the same idea and want to block out a day for some choice pavement.

Alan

I'm in. Boondocker. Bringing 500 EXC and Multistrada for riding to Morenci (at least once, that road was a major selling point!). Hope others have the same idea and want to block out a day for some choice pavement.

Alan
That's my plan as well.

That loop Reserve-Alpine-Morenci-and back to Reserve on 180 is 225 miles. Perfect day ride. The only road I can compare to that one is Idaho 12 from Lewiston to Lolo just for the length and quality.

We are still planning on being out there the week before you all are. I just made reservations today and the nice lady I talked to said that quite few of the forest road are closed due to the massive amounts of rain they are getting every day. Hopefully things dry up in the coming weeks. We are still planning on being out there, I just wanted to pass along the info I got this morning.

Since this is a week long event, I would like to do some Night Riding at point to get a different experience. Maybe sleep in one day and ride a trail at night and give my Aux Lights some time in the field. 😁

external-content.duckduckgo.com (2).jpg

Personal situation changed that I need to cancel for this year - bummer.
I had a room at Hidden Springs - #5.
Just sent an email to cancel the reservation - room with 2 beds.
So will be up for grabs maybe in next day.
Hope y'all have fun out there.
Ben

Personal situation changed that I need to cancel for this year - bummer.
I had a room at Hidden Springs - #5.
Just sent an email to cancel the reservation - room with 2 beds.
So will be up for grabs maybe in next day.
Hope y'all have fun out there.
Ben
Bummer

I'm in, will be bringing a smaller KTM for the dirt and a Tiger for the roads. (I'll likely be headed in from Dallas at least one day early, so i'm up for some riding Sunday morning/day)

Back