• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gila Monster dual sport adventure rally - Aug 22 - 28, 2021

Hi Andre, I cant get the time off from work. Gina and I have rescheduled our week off to October. We were really looking forward to this one.

Gina did JT cancell? Arr you dtill coming?

The degree of bummer-ness can't be overstated. :-(
I rescheduled my one week of remaining vakay so John and I can go somewhere together.

I look forward to exploring this part of NM next summer, fingers crossed.

I haven't been riding knobbies very long, so y'all help me decide: Keep the half-wore-down TKC 80s on the 500 or spoon on some brand new Dunlop 606s that I have on hand? It sounds like there will be plenty of mud.

There may be mud. There may be dry sand. Spoon on the new tire and take a set of spares. The truck won't feel the extra weight.

I haven't been riding knobbies very long, so y'all help me decide: Keep the half-wore-down TKC 80s on the 500 or spoon on some brand new Dunlop 606s that I have on hand? It sounds like there will be plenty of mud.
So today I took off the rear TKC 80 and went back on with the Dunlop 606, a new tube, and a rim lock (first experience with rimlock install). The Dunlop is super stiff, but after a few hours and watching videos online, I got everything back together....and I pinched the tube during my struggles. Do I start over and hope for better results or wait until tomorrow and see if Granbury Powersports can bail me out? I'm the stick-with-it type but more so before I got old and my back hurts and I have a stiff neck and arthritic fingers, anybody feeling me out there?

I guess that last post belonged in the maintenance section. I pinged those guys. I have time to regroup since Powersports isn't open on Monday, anyway.

Tracks up, good luck.

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

**All tracks are ride at your own risk. These tracks are drawn up from data collected from the internet. I have done my best to verify that these roads are legal to ride, but, I will not be responsible for any problems you may encounter whether you are on the tracks or not.

Attachments

• EscudillaMtn.gpx
    525 KB · Views: 151
  • BlackPeak.gpx
    217.1 KB · Views: 150
  • EaglePeak.gpx
    694.4 KB · Views: 169
  • BursamRd.gpx
    270.2 KB · Views: 149
  • BearWallow.gpx
    238.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
The forum viewer seems to have blown a gasket, open in Basecamp, Mapsource, Gpsvisualizer or map app of choice.

Here are all the tracks and a few out and back alternates in one file. Note that Bear Wallow and Bursam Rd overlap a bit, but if you like one, do the other in the opposite direction.

GPX viewer

**All tracks are ride at your own risk. These tracks are drawn up from data collected from the internet. I have done my best to verify that these roads are legal to ride, but, I will not be responsible for any problems you may encounter whether you are on the tracks or not.

Attachments

• Gila-all.gpx
    2.6 MB · Views: 150
Last edited:
I sure wish I was going.... :party:

Also, everyone should load Avenza Maps on your phones. Then download the free MVUM maps for Gila NF Westside, Quemado, Reserve and Glenwood Ranger Districts in the app. This will allow you to view your location on the MVUM even if you do not have cell signal. Might prevent an expensive ticket. Here are the .pdf versions of the map, but you have to download through Avenza to make them work with the app.

Attachments

• GilaWestSideQuemadoReserveGlenwoodBack.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 184
  • GilaWestSideQuemadoReserveGlenwoodFront.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 170
Any last minute riders? I have a house rented right by ride headquarters. Have space for 1-2 more. Message me if you’re interested. Frank (512)789-6779

Many roads in a National Forest will be closed at any particular time. The Multi Vehicle Use Map or MVUM is the Forest Service guide to open roads. Taking a wrong turn in the forest can earn you a very expensive ticket. The app Avenza is the easiest way to use the MVUMs with a GPS device. It is available for iphones and droids. Look it up.

Many roads in a National Forest will be closed at any particular time. The Multi Vehicle Use Map or MVUM is the Forest Service guide to open roads. Taking a wrong turn in the forest can earn you a very expensive ticket. The app Avenza is the easiest way to use the MVUMs with a GPS device. It is available for iphones and droids. Look it up.
This brings up another point that needs to be said. All tracks are ride at your own risk. These tracks are drawn up from data collected from the internet. I have done my best to verify that these roads are legal to ride, but, I will not be responsible for any problems you may encounter whether you are on the tracks or not.

This brings up another point that needs to be said. All tracks are ride at your own risk. These tracks are drawn up from data collected from the internet. I have done my best to verify that these roads are legal to ride, but, I will not be responsible for any problems you may encounter whether you are on the tracks or not.
Release signed.

Routes downloaded to my Garmin but this (Avenza) App and MVUMs maps downloaded to my droid is quite amazing and a very interesting tool. Thank you very much for the hard work.

Our organizer Wes contacted Jen at Hidden Springs on Tuesday and I wanted to pass on the following info regarding food and meals.
Breakfast will be available each morning at the restaurant between 7-8am. The restaurant will be closed dinner on Tuesday and Wednesday.
She said to be prepared as there will be very few places to eat. Maybe none at all for lunches and some dinners, so i’m taking a few camp meals just in case.
The dinner nights will be Monday and Friday at 6:30.
She also said there are a few other small restaurants in the area but their hours are very inconsistent they may or may not be open. oh, also she said that if you want beer you probably need to bring it yourself. There is a local bar that has carry out but she said the prices will be double what were used to in the grocery store.
Drive to the place where they get groceries and beer is 60 to 70 miles away.

Bottom line - where we are going is remote with limited services so be prepared in advance with extra food for lunch, snacks, beer etc..

I did some looking around the other day on websites and Facebook it appears that the other restaurants in the area close at 2pm. They're closed on different days but that really doesn't help. Adobe Cafe website says they're open Sunday night (steak night).

Thanks for checking!

Anybody planning to boondock around Ruidoso or Cloudcroft on Saturday night? I may drive the extra 50 miles to go through Cloudcroft because I know good spots. Sunday will be easy day and early arrival. I don't have to do a 750 mile day, so I'm not.

I'm off!
20210821_065944.jpg
20210821_070648.jpg

Back