• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Givi G37 side case, are they worth the price?

Reaction score
I have been looking at these for a while and I just can’t make my mind up if I want to pull the trigger. At nearly $900 for cases and brakets that’s a big chunk for me
I don’t like the way they look and I won’t Keep them on the bike permanently. Only for road trips.
I really would like to get into Moto camping this year, once the corona bs is over with.

Attachments

• 623BE69A-9DB5-4F36-9DC9-AB14808EBDA3.png
    623BE69A-9DB5-4F36-9DC9-AB14808EBDA3.png
    314.8 KB · Views: 174
Another option that may be cheaper if you are just going to be using them for moto camping could be soft panniers and or some of the large top bags.

Motocamping is a terrible thing to waste your time doing. It is almost as bad as riding motorcycles. You are constantly planning that next camp out. Befor you know it, a week can’t pass without getting some moto camping done.

My advice, stay far far away from this detrimental activity [emoji23]

a70a6e69886b34c087ec83f7f9ab1db0.jpg

Seriously...for that kind of money I am a HUuuuge fan of mosko moto stuff.

I had them on a Ninja 650 for 7 years. I liked them when touring, but they were too wide to fit through gaps during my commute. I bought a Vstrom a year ago and it has the full set on it. I have never used them and that bike will be for sale shortly, I just don't like it. Most of my touring is done with a duffle bag for camping and a tank bag for incidentals. If I'm not camping a single soft sidebag is plenty.

Motocamping is a terrible thing to waste your time doing. It is almost as bad as riding motorcycles. You are constantly planning that next camp out. Befor you know it, a week can’t pass without getting some moto camping done.

My advice, stay far far away from this detrimental activity [emoji23]

View attachment 257441

Seriously...for that kind of money I am a HUuuuge fan of mosko moto stuff.

lol, I’m really trying to talk myself out of motocamping, I just can’t get it out of my head.

I can't imagine a motorcycle without luggage. We were supposed to do a short weekend trip this weekend out to the hill country; that and a Birmingham trip that got cancelled in November I'm seriously having withdrawals on motorcycle camping.

I've had my v35 on several bikes and I really like the. The v37 is a restyled version that isn't really any larger. You might be able to save some money if you can find a used set.

I love a tail bag on all bikes. Grocery shopping mostly. I have hard side bags or panniers but seldom need them. When I camp I like them for also a wide platform to bungie stuff on top of them and seat. Loaded bags change dynamics of bike.

I have the V35 cases on my bandit & love them. I love that they are lockable so my stuff is safe. One is permanently loaded with my helmet and rain gear in case I need it. There is lots of room in them if you want to pick things up before heading home. They are also waterproof. I've taken them off the bike and brought them into the hotel at night as well. The only thing I wish were different is that my older bags E21 (on a v strom), opened from the top which I like better, but they were also smaller cases.

Givi makes quality products,, but you pay for the name. Walmart has plastic boxes that make good top boxes if mounted with a metal strip inside and out. The one on my original TW200 has about 47,000 miles on it, bolted to the original holes for the rubber rear fender pad. No cracks, yet. Cost? About $12.

I have the V35 cases on my bandit & love them. I love that they are lockable so my stuff is safe. One is permanently loaded with my helmet and rain gear in case I need it. There is lots of room in them if you want to pick things up before heading home. They are also waterproof. I've taken them off the bike and brought them into the hotel at night as well. The only thing I wish were different is that my older bags E21 (on a v strom), opened from the top which I like better, but they were also smaller cases.
We're in the same school here. My V35s have been very waterproof and I need lockable since I commute and travel. And the bit about top opening would be nice so nothing falls out when you open it up, but that's ALL side opening cases. Top openers tend to be square boxes only. But the issue with top openers is I tend to strap things across the full width of the bags for stability and I wouldn't be able to open a top opener without removing everything strapped on. So, side cases have that benefit.

What I like about my Givi setup is I have the quick release mounting racks that I can remove easily if I want to go as if I have no rack at all. Just a 1/4 turn with the included key. But I tend to leave them on full time anyway since it's a commuting mule.

Last edited:
We're in the same school here. My V35s have been very waterproof and I need lockable since I commute and travel. And the bit about top opening would be nice so nothing falls out when you open it up, but that's ALL side opening cases. Top openers tend to be square boxes only. But the issue with top openers is I tend to strap things across the full width of the bags for stability and I wouldn't be able to open a top opener without removing everything strapped on. So, side cases have that benefit.

What I like about my Givi setup is I have the quick release mounting racks that I can remove easily if I want to go as if I have no rack at all. Just a 1/4 turn with the included key. But I tend to leave them on full time anyway since it's a commuting mule.
Yup, I commute about 5k a season here and my bags just stay on the bike...great to pick up groceries etc..too. I also read that they don't really impact mpg on the highway. I have the quick release too so I just click them off the bike and bring them in the hotel or bring them inside for the winter months...I just purchased a second bike, the honda 500X and am psyched cuz I can use the V35's on that bike too! I just have to buy the rack, but it'll be well worth it to be able to use the same lockable bags for both bikes.

this was my setup for hauling camping gear & riding lots of road & easy gravel stuff
SML-20160424-082319-jpg.jpg

IT's too wide for urban/commuting use, but just about perfect in cargo capacity for those Costco trips
10312015a.jpg

Having lived w/ those two side cans w/ top lids, I'm sold on alum panniers. each box only weighs 10 lbs. they're super lightweight, imo. and with the matching quick release side racks, in less that a minute, the entire racks comes off the bike, and now my bike's trimmed down for a day riding the hill country twisties
20180310-110026.jpg

My side racks, two alum panniers, & side crash bars was an upgraded pkg from suzuki, which added another $1500 to the base vstrom 650. So yea, i agree it's a hefty chunk. But having those high dollar add ons put to use in 5 yrs, I feel like they were worth the expense b/c those accessories allowed me to prep -at the snap of a finger- to take off on any epic adv rides, and most of mine were w/in a week's notice, and it was modular enough to convert my bike to meet my diverse riding demands. YMMV.

Top-loading cases are SO much easier to deal with. That's the one big bummer of my el cheapo seahorse 720 cases. If I were to do it over, I might get the Pelican 1440 top loader instead. Pricey at $200 each (vs the $60 each I think I paid), 33 liter capacity, 14.5 lbs each. Even at $400 total, that's about 1/2 of new bespoke cases.

For my side-loading 720 cases, I was able to find some very light bags that are pretty close to the size of the case. So loading the case means loading the bag up, then opening the case, sitting the bag on the lid, then closing the lid very carefully. Sounds simple - but it's always.

I mounted my cases on SW Motech lockable racks that quickly remove and leave nearly nothing visible on the bike. Those are WELL worth the price. Racks were about $300 I think.

Goin back to the first post...looks like the bike to be fitted with side luggage is a late model SV650....
Not many options for that bike...only hard bag setup Ive seen is the Givi/Kappa PLX/KLX for the Monokey Contour style cases which are avail in 33..35 & 37 ltr models. The racks are only avail in permanent mount...not quick release (PLXR/KLXR) which is a shame on a bike like the SV650
SW Motech does show a semi rigid Blaze setup ...with less capacity though

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back