• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GL1000 Quatrofini

DaveC

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Carter
My names Dave and apparently I don't know no better. I have started working on another 70's era Wing a 75 to be precise. This is the fourth one. You would think that after a few that I might have figured these things are a bit of work with little financial reward. So I need to go take pics of this Red'un that I got from Rusty. Thats kinda funny a red Rusty bike.:mrgreen:

I'm off I think this week so I shall post pics and do some righten (This is how you pronounce writing in Texas) in the afternoons. So Same Bat Channel Same Bat Time Tomorrow .

Goldwings are great bikes (Especially the old 1000,1100 & 1200), this site is an excellent source for help and parts if you don't already know it :- http://goldwingdocs.com

Good luck with the project.

Gary

I was thinking of GL before getting my CX650. It's great machine to be on a Cafe racer.
Photo update please.

I don't have the photo of it loaded into the truck, it was full (the truck) So Where to start?
How about the carbs?

100_2915_zps701b1e82.jpg
[/URL]

:doh:
So it sat under a tarp in the back yard did it? :eek2:

Well, how about I boil them ?Soften up the crud?

100_2916_zps818f6283.jpg
[/URL]

Don't take much off when you do that. looks like it is elbow grease time!

100_2913_zps21b8d432.jpg
[/URL]

And through the majic of the internet I give you carbs!

100_2939_zps21933450.jpg
[/URL]

Moving on.:zen:

This is "when chrome goes bad".:eek2: (you well notice a reoccurring emoticon in this thread :eek2:)

100_2941_zpsde9423c2.jpg
[/URL]

I can not get the stuff to media blast off,:angryfire

whaat to do?

Call Al down in Seguin. Maybe he has some parts!
More internet magic , trip south on the toll road and a KLR brings back these.
100_2940_zpsbe4c6ba1.jpg
[/URL]

So what do want? I did not feel like editing the image.
Any way the tubes from El Quatrofini are fine, the triple tree upper is not, the fork lowers are sorely needing magic too. The set I got came with the upper, and good lowers the tubes are spotted rust. They would leak unless a huge amount of elbow grease and some 1000 grit emery is applied. The new set has bearings installed:-D I can either (a) remove them or (b) grease them and leave them:ponder:

So lets take a look at the front fender. These things in undented, with out rust or minor rust bring upwards of $100 +:eek2:
No can do, this is a budget restore, not a concourse model. Lets take a look at what I have to work with.

Maybe a trip to the cabinet well show some love?

100_2943_zps86db84d9.jpg

Yes there is hope, aluminum oxide is giving it new life.

Not so good these dings! What to do? Mallet? Wood blocks? wood chisel!?!?
100_2945_zps604dcc9b.jpg

Wack it, it is bent what can it hurt? OK wack it gently.:mrgreen: See the crease is there but it looks a bit better.
100_2946_zps6e8a92f1.jpg

Now how do I want the show side to look, blast it and paint or just naval jelly the thing?

So it hit 1000( OK so it is just 100, but when the fan is forcing 100 degree wind on you it feels exponentially heated) and I came in, the boss don't pay me enough to get heat exhaustion!

Bolt broke in the upper triple tree,:brainsnap: :eek2: things went from bad, when I drilled it and to worse,:huh2: :thpt: :tears: when I tried to rethread it. :doh:

Heli-coil on amazon with jobber bit $28.00 , but hey it has free shipping! :argh:

wonder what else I can snap off...........................................

Have you worked on the 1200's much? My brother loves his and it needs some TLC but he isn't a good wrench on bikes and I don't know anything about the wings. He has an `84 the last year you could get just bags.

Have you worked on the 1200's much? My brother loves his and it needs some TLC but he isn't a good wrench on bikes and I don't know anything about the wings. He has an `84 the last year you could get just bags.

There are quite a few GW hobbyist, he should look around and ask a few of the independent shops if they know of such a sen-say. I am in Hutto, so convenient I'm not.

Any idea how your cafe racer will look like? Any sketch or some modified bike to do replica?
Please educate me on the Naval Jelly. Is it rust removal? Useable for chromed materials only or whatever, metal or plastic... etc..
Thanks.

I used naval jelly on some sl350 handlebars and it ate them up. I must have left it on too long.

I found a new broken bolt extractor and Lowes but I can't remember the name. I have been using EZ-OUT but this one is much better. It is small and has a drill bit that first drills, then you use the opposite side to remove. EZ-OUTs drill and remove with the same bit.

My vote would be to grease the tapered roller bearing and install if the alternative is the loose ball bearings.

I have to ask, what are you doing to keep cool. Those carbs would have taken hours to clean and rebuild, did you a/c your garage? I am seriously getting fatigued doing this work in 100+ heat after work. It is no surprise to me that most talk about "winter" projects.

One thing is not like the other.

Come to find out that the loose ball bearings where used in the 75/76 then Honda went to the tapered bearing. So to make the lower tree work I have to replace the bearing.:ponder: I think the old race for the rollers well be easier to remove and the seal well work with the roller, maybe?
100_2959_zpsea856e23.jpg

New top tree victim ,er candidate. Looks like a long and protracted media blast is in my future.
100_2936_zpse6764fab.jpg

one thing is not like the other.
100_2956_zpsd91b8e44.jpg

So back at the bench my newer top tree is hosed!:doh:
This is right before I snapped it off using a 3/4 drive. Should have stuck with the electric impact and let the PB work it's chemical majic!
100_2954_zps1fcd6f9b.jpg

I got a little sumpin done, took a some elbow grease but I did manage a little shine. Not factory or professional but for La Oxidado Rojo just fine.

100_2962_zps6ad15c2e.jpg

Any idea how your cafe racer will look like? Any sketch or some modified bike to do replica?
Please educate me on the Naval Jelly. Is it rust removal? Useable for chromed materials only or whatever, metal or plastic... etc..
Thanks.

There is no cafe racer, just a old Wing with the rust removed. Naval Jelly is a de ruster, spread it on and it dissolves rust,rinse it off, wipe clean. there is one version that you leave on and paint over. Does something to the rust. If it is rusty you can use it. If it ain't rusty your wasting time and money. It is a mild acid suspended in a jelly like solution to hold it in place.

I've done a fair bit to mine. Any particular questions?
I'm only marginally closer than Hutto, but I do have a '85 and a FSM, so I'd be happy to reference if I can help.

Thanks.
Naval Jelly
May have to get some of that myself.

Back