• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GL1000 Quatrofini

Well I started the science experiment.
Got the bicarbonate of soda, I have a pool so I have a few pounds in a bucket. I made the anode out of a square tube from a old gazeebo. I used a 1 1\4" threaded adapter and a 1 inch coupling both PVC to make the insulator for the anode. The battery charger is "smart" if it does not detect the battery it won't turn on. So add my spare lawn tractor battery, two sets of alligator clips with the quick connect . This is a bit freaky for the electrically disinclined. When you plug the two sets together it swaps the polarity so to speak. You have to ignore the color (red/black) at one end and hook them up "reversed":huh::confused: So when you look at the connection your going to see re and black at the same location. :eek2: It is OK, I'm a professional, I can do stuff like this.:lol2:

100_2969_zps8af337d9.jpg

Checking voltage at the anode and verifying battery chargers output.
100_2977_zps4e658bdb.jpg

I had to pull the battery box and as things were just boiling away I went ahead and sandblasted the thing. Here you see what part of the rust looked like and the sandblasted portion.
100_2971_zpsae6a5f9d.jpg

Oh Look! an extra screw! how handy is that?:doh:
100_2980_zpsc4587fd3.jpg

So I get a first coat of rattle can on it. BTW if you can get you one of these ultrasonic cleaners, Works great on the weed wacker carb!:clap:

100_2981_zps8b24293f.jpg

Things you really don't want to see when doing a restore. On the positive side, the bike well be liter. In weight is it lighter or liter? well any way I was working the inside of the fender and , well I saw these appear.:doh:

Day light, nothing but blue skies.
100_2974_zps11693ae7.jpg

So much more to do,.... I well think of a solution that well be cost effective.:ponder: :trust:

New shop dog, Romeo. My SIL found him in her yard and she just loved the little critter but her weenier dog don't take to strangers so we ended up fostering him until some one claims him. They posted on the neighborhood facebook page. He is young and prefers inside to out, but the other dogs do too.

I got a pack, I am the Big Dog here!
:rofl:

100_2965_zps4e063f6e.jpg

Here I am a few days later, let it be known that this form of rust removal is not quick. It is very effective, some what safe as in low chemical contamination, the electricity with water thing can be painful if misused:eek2:

What we have here is the new sacrificial anode and the old sacrifice, the old rusty gas gap is the results, I have not got the sacrificial anode to develop rust. Mine seems to disolve and in the process get the rust to detach from the tank. My plan is to use up this anode , drain the tank, inspect and reapply this mad science to the fenders, fuel sending unit and other needful bits. I read and followed the "Sidecar of Doom" thread and the mate did this to the entire frame. It was not quick but it is inexpensive compared to all other methods.

Something New and Something Old
100_2983_zps1fb4b5d3.jpg

Something Borrowed With the Blues.
100_2984_zps8a6efd43.jpg

You can see my PVC insulator, you must be imaginative when considering making one, some folks have rubber bits they can use, others plastic, Wood may work also but the rusty water well , or may , cause some issue. I can't say as my experment is with PVC:mrgreen:

Battery box with bumpers.
I got several layers of paint on it then I started to replace the isolators. The bottom two went in easy enough for 35 year old rubber bits but the side and back bumpers needed a soaking in silicon.
100_2992_zpse769bcac.jpg

Tomorrows project:
The bench seat for the yard.
100_2989_zps1d9d5c34.jpg

100_2988_zpsbbeedcbb.jpg

It ain't all fun and games. But I did manage to turn some of my cabinets from storage :
100_2995_zps84ae6100.jpg

to information center and storage. That be chalk board paint. Ever time I change oil or tire I end up misplacing the data. This solves that issue.:sun:
This also allows me to label the contents:trust:
100_2996_zps5960f886.jpg

subscribed. Can't want to see this roll into Ken's on afternoon!

My daughter-in-law used that chalkboard paint on a coffee table to use for her little clients (she's a speech therapist). I'm going to have to use some when I make a play table for my grandson.

I ALWAYS use Rust-O-Leum rattle cans. I have some parts that were previously rusty, painted with Rust-O-Leum 30 years ago, still look just fine.

IT WORKS.

I ALWAYS use Rust-O-Leum rattle cans. I have some parts that were previously rusty, painted with Rust-O-Leum 30 years ago, still look just fine.

IT WORKS.

I used Rustoleum recently on an Sl350 frame. Put down a base coat of primer and then three coats of silver Rustoleum. Two weeks later I saw a bird poop on the frame and washed it off but a spot still remains. Was I supposed to put wax or a clearcoat over it?

When I first tried it with primer, it never stuck.

Now I just scrape, sand, clean and paint.

I don't use clear.

I have made little and no progress with this bike. Well I ever have the time and or money to get it running? Should I sell it and pass it to the next brave soul? I completed the carbs with a Randack kit, I bought a some new upper fork tubes but I have not spent the 3 or 4 hours to rebuild the forks and mount them. I have the radiator hoses, but I want to replace the timing belts before mounting the radiator back. I wouldn't mind replaceing the water pump but it isn't leaking, yet. Well I have about 8 weeks of scool and then my summer days well start. maybe then?

Oh look, summer is almost over. My son and I swapped the cam belts. Gosh I am moving at a glacial pace! The tires well expire before I can get them on the ground! I swear every day I am going to do something then, bam, the day is shot and nothing gets done. I have had this 11 months!

I have done a fork rebuild and nothing else in the last year! I have taught MSF BRC nearly every weekend! I wanted to pull the motor to install a new stator. I need two things, a stator and some time! I looked at the tires, they are now 12 years old! Brand new , rolled across the shop floor new!

Sent from my iPhone, that's sort of wonky as it thinks it can spell Texan better than I !

Back