• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gnats, Knobbies, Bolts, Bullets and Boulders... The Thrashing of Best Laid Plans...

Just think, you guy's had the time of your life. This is the kind of trip that you will remember for a long time.
That's definitely the way I feel, and I hope they felt the same way. Some people don't like the drama and challenges. I actually look forward to these kinds of situations, and get a rise out of finding my way out... sometimes I think I subconsciously put myself into these situations (no, I didn't sabotage this trip :angel: ;-) ).

wow...what an adventure...these are the kind of stories that grandchildren must hear one day...

So Scott, then what happened??? Did you ever hear from Casey again? Did you make it out okay, or are you still there?

HA!!
Great picture!

_DSC3204.jpg

Tuesday - 5/22: "So...Are the gnats bad over there...?"

:tab Knowing that I don't HAVE to get up at the crack of dawn, I briefly entertain deluded fantasies of sleeping a little later to catch up on some rest... :lol2: The desert has no sense of compassion... only a grim humor. Feeling like a wrapped potato in an oven, I roll out to greet the new day. No sounds of gunfire or helicopters. No holes in the tent or bike. Maybe it was all a dream...? I'm hungry.

:tab John is up and busy doing.... well... nothing. Seems like a plan to me so I join him. I guess I could wander around and do some hiking and exploring but the thought of actually exerting myself is just not real appealing. Before the sun gets high enough to turn the silt between the tents and the edge of the river into a blistering torture trail, I grab my stuff for the day and head down to the river to enjoy the cool morning breeze and shade. As always, the Camel Bak is by my side. We engage in some idle speculation as to what may have happened to Casey... "You's a purdy boy ain't you now!" Cue the banjoes... Has he been able to get a hold of his buddies? Will he remember to bring me a cold Coke!? What the... doh! My shade is drifting. Time to find a better spot to lay down.

:tab The gnats are a constant annoyance. They were bad yesterday too. It seems they have company today though... flies :roll: It would seem that what energy I manage to recover from resting could easily be spent constantly swatting gnats and flies out of my face. I sit. I stand. I pace around. I sit. I lay down. I stand. I pace around. John can't take it. The idleness wears on him and he starts hatching plans for "doing something". Doing nothing is still doing something, but I guess that is not enough for him :lol2: So out comes his big knife and some rope... essential tools for doing something!

Something to lean against...?
IMG_0820.JPG

The first version fell down, so time for some modifications to beef it up a little
IMG_0821.JPG

:tab Well, it soon becomes obvious that John is not Bob Villa when it comes to making things out of wood :lol2: We sit. We stand. We pace around. We lay down. "Dude... are you hungry? How about lunch?" Sounds good to me!

John is better at cooking, Alton Brown eat your heart out!
IMG_0822.JPG

The groovy stove that is a hoot to light! It involves BIG flames :dude:
IMG_0823.JPG

Delicious Mexican Rice and Beans!!
IMG_0824.JPG

The far bank sits there... taunting us... soooo close and yet so far :twitch:
IMG_0825.JPG

:tab Earlier in the morning, John had noticed that the water level of the river seemed to have gone down several inches over night. Looking around confirms that it has indeed gone down probably four inches or more. He pokes a stick into the mud on the edge of the river to use as a reference to monitor any further drop in the level. You know the saying... "A watch stick never changes its level indication..." It is amazing how many times we both walk over to take a look at the stick during the day, as if the water would really be going down that fast :doh: Besides, it would have to drop a foot or more before we could attempt a crossing at the other crossing where the ATV's went across. Worse... we'd have to GET there, which would involve going back up that insane hill between here and the top of the ridge :suicide: I check the stick again...

:tab Sometime in the afternoon, I have this fuzzy feeling of having fallen asleep at the waters edge. Odd sounds of clicking and buzzing float in and out of my ears. Strange dreams of being experimented upon and sexually violated linger in the dim edges of my consciousness...

IMG_0826.JPG

:tab All my parts are accounted for... must have been a dream... :shrug:

:tab And the afternoon drags on... "Do you hear that!?" Hmmm... sounds like helicopters again. They sound really close. In fact, they sound like the are coming directly at us! I stand near the edge of the river and peer down through the trees and over the water. Sure enough, the familiar profile of a Blackhawk looms low in the sky, skimming up the river between the trees, and coming fast! I wonder if they might see us? I move out from under the trees and up the bank a bit to get in the open. When they get closer, I start to wave my arms back and forth to see if I can draw their attention. Apparently not... They pull up and bank hard right over our position, arcing up over the river and falling away behind a ridge line on the far side of the river. Hmmm....

:tab John and I joke about how cool it would be to have them see us, agree to drop a cable to wrap around the bikes, and to haul us over to the other side of the river. Imagine that trip report! Pics of our bikes dangling on the end of a cable slung under the belly of a chopper. The desert boredom is taking its toll on our mental faculties... "Do you hear that!?" It is the unmistakable sound of another chopper coming up the valley towards us! I move back out into the open to watch for it. Sure enough, another Blackhawk rounds the bend, its massive rotors whomping the air into submission. Once again I wave. Once again they bank right over us before falling away over the distant ridge line. This chopper was a medic chopper and had the big red cross emblem painted on the sides. We can hear the choppers winding down after having settled behind the ridge line out of sight. These guys can't be that far away. John starts hatching plans to wade across the river, hike over to their position, and to introduce ourselves, "Hey guys! Got any spare MRE's!? And oh yeah, think you could spare a hummer or chopper to get us across the river?" :lol2:

:tab I check the stick in the water... no change... Let's see... where's a good shade spot? And so the day goes...

:tab It is interesting that when I have time to just sit, and I mean really just sit and do nothing, at all... I start to notice things. There is the feel of the breeze on my skin. There is the constant sound of the water undulating as it courses down the valley. There is the clicking of branches as they rub against each other in the wind. There is the soft rustling of leaves as the wind passes through them. There are birds EVERYWHERE! There are big birds, little birds, bright yellow birds, blue birds, hungry birds... The big vultures continually soar on the winds above, slowing when they get directly overhead for a good look at us :wary: How long can those guys stay airborne without flapping their wings... It would seem a LONG time! At one point, I swear I see several different huge McCaw birds flying across the river, you know, the ones like Tucan Sam... There are lizards everywhere we look. One even comes out to the end of a branch near John and starts showing his colors in a threatening manner! Little does he know that John is eying him while thinking of how he might be cooked... :lol2: Then there are the bugs.

:tab If a person does not like bugs or at least have a tolerance of them, then that person should avoid the desert. In every direction I look, there are spider webs. These are the ones that look like funnels. The webs always narrow down to the spot where the long legged and LARGE spiders are hanging out, sitting just inside the hole waiting to leap out in an instant to drag their prey back into the hole. At times there are so many webs it seems as if they blend into each other. It is a good thing I am not arachnaphobic...

:tab Then there are the gnats. These things are EVERYWHERE!! One can hardly take a breath without having a gnat buzz up the nose. Considering that my eyes, ears, nose and mouth are only a very small portion of the total real estate of my body, it astounds me that the gnats are overly preoccupied with those parts of my anatomy :argh: Yet even these annoying and seemingly worthless pieces of creation are fascinating. As I sit still and watch, I notice several different clouds of them. One of them is a good ways out over the river. I watch it on and off during the day. These things collect in clouds of swarming gnats, all buzzing around in seemingly random patterns, and yet the cloud never changes position. It never drifts one way or the other. For hours and hours, these clouds will stay in the exact same spot. I would have thought that with all the random buzzing around that the cloud might drift one way or another, especially when you consider the breeze that has been blowing all day, but no... it stays put :ponder:

:tab John has cooked up his last meal. My jerky is gone. My power bars have been consumed. Casey left his stuff with permission to eat what we want... I peek over the berm between us and the blistering silt path to the camp site where his food sits. The shade has extended over the path just enough that I can walk up the edge of the silt to get to the camp. It's still hot, but that stinging burning of the sole of the feet is gone. I find his bag and start to take inventory... sausage... cheese sticks... wine!? Geez, hehe. Casey is living large! I grab a handful of stuff and head back down to the river to share the loot with John. The cheese sticks have mostly melted. I am not a wine drinker. But I bet that sausage would taste good heated up!!

:tab John and I spend the remainder of the afternoon pondering our situation and making alternative plans in the event Casey is not able to get back out to us today. It is already getting late in the afternoon. So unless he gets here with a way to get us across the river, we are going to be spending another night here anyway. Looking at the maps, we see that the railroad on the other side of the river follows the river roughly East and West between Kelvin and Florence. Fifteen miles to Florence. Ten miles to Kelvin. We can walk ten miles... We had been considering getting up before dawn, leaving our camping stuff here with Casey's bike, and then riding out that nasty mesa climb in the hope that it is the way out. The more we think about it though, the more that ten mile walk to Kelvin appeals to us. Leave just before dark, take the remaining food, water purifier, GPS's and flashlights, and just follow the tracks to town. Call Casey to let him know we are out, get a room for the night and something to eat, come back for the bikes tomorrow. Before long, the walk out plan is pretty much what we settle on doing.

:tab "Do you hear that!?" Sure enough, it sounds like a motor getting closer... far side of the river... sounds big... pushing branches out of its way! And then a huge jeep thing bursts through the trees and emerges on the far shore! Is that Casey!? It is! Amazingly, he is just in time to save his food :lol2:

The big rig, belonging to Casey's friend Drew
IMG_0828.JPG

Casey wades across to give Drew an idea of the depth and speed of the water
IMG_0829.JPG

:tab John and I get busy breaking down camp and getting our stuff ready to go while Drew gets the jeep ready to make the crossing. After much discussion and weighing of options, Drew backs the jeep across the river, right up to the bank, and drops the tailgate. John start riding the bikes down to the rivers edge, no small feat! It takes all three of us to pull them over the last berm before the edge of the river as it is crisscrossed with HUGE tree roots and loose silt. Then he just rides the bike right into the back of the jeep bed :dude: How sweet is that!?

[I have vids, but they are in AVI format and HUGE! I will try to upload them tonite. If anyone knows how to convert them to mpeg, let me know!]

Drew's friend... also Drew... lowers the tailgate prior to loading the bikes
IMG_0831.JPG

Casey and John look on with great relief!
IMG_0832.JPG

Notice the water level on the front tire... It is deeper out in the middle of the river...
IMG_0833.JPG

:tab That four inches the river went down really helped!

:tab As we are getting the bikes loaded in the back of the jeep, I notice that the front of the jeep seems to be sinking! No doubt, the stiff current is washing the bottom out from under the tire. It was doing this to me earlier when I was just standing in the water. I just gradually sank deeper and deeper. Drew informs us that we need to get moving before the front sinks too deep and the engine is stalled! We get my bike, Casey's bike, and our gear loaded. John will wait for the next trip.

:tab On the ride across, the motor of the jeep starts making odd noises... :eek: Hopefully, it is not getting any water in the intake! It would suck to not be able to get John across... :-P

Drew lets the jeep idle for a bit to dry out
IMG_0835.JPG

A good view looking back at our camp and a small ridge behind it
IMG_0836.JPG

Drew (the other Drew) wades across to help us unload the KLR and DR
IMG_0837.JPG

All snuggled up, safe and dry...
IMG_0838.JPG

Preparing to unload the KLR and DR
IMG_0839.JPG

Drew explains to Drew how to use the scuba tanks to inflate their river raft...
IMG_0840.JPG

"So you see... this has 3000 psi in it and you want to go reallll slow because I forgot the low pressure regulator..."
IMG_0841.JPG

"Hey guys... remember me!?"
IMG_0842.JPG

It takes several tries to find a good line for going back for John, but eventually they make it
IMG_0845.JPG

Preparing to unload John's KTM
IMG_0847.JPG

Since they are already here... Drew and Drew figure on playing on the river while we get packed and ready to roll again
IMG_0848.JPG

The other Drew is prepared to survive in the wilderness
IMG_0849.JPG

Casey's bud from his Az days, the Elder Drew :-P
IMG_0850.JPG

:tab Casey did remember to bring the Cokes, iced down even!! However, when I open the ice chest, my eyes are drawn to the chilled Gatorade. The Coke can wait... I down a liter of Gatorade over the next ten minutes or so and it hits the spot like never before :drool: Being on the right side of the river, knowing we will soon be back in civilization, and having a nicely chilled drink, all seems right with the world again :mrgreen:

:tab So while we are busy getting our gear sorted and the bikes packed. The Drews decide to have a go at paddling up stream... :roll: I can't get the video camera out fast enough to catch them paddling furiously with everything they have, only to barely hold position against the current. Elder Drew was apparently a river rafting guide at some point in his past life and he is barking orders to younger Drew concerning proper paddling technique. It is hilarious :lol2: Soon, they are drifting down stream with a promise to return for the jeep.

:tab John and I are packed and ready to roll pretty quick. Casey doesn't pack quick, hehe. Come to think of it, Casey doesn't do much of anything quick... except ride :rider: Soon, the elder Drew comes walking up out of the trees. It would seem they drifted a pretty good ways. He's come to get the jeep and to go retrieve the raft and the other Drew. They'll meet us at the railroad tracks so he does not have to drive the jeep back down the narrow tunnel road through the trees. The sun is starting to slip low onto the horizon. I'd really like to get out of here before dark. A short while after elder Drew leaves with the jeep, young Drew comes walking back around the corner to check on us. Casey finally gets all his stuff repacked and on the bike. I head out for the tracks to find elder Drew waiting with the jeep.

:tab While waiting for Casey to arrive, I notice that my rear bag is flopping around more than it should. I get to checking and to my shock I find that it is not a case of loose straps as it had been earlier. This time it is broken subframe bolts where the rack bolts to the rear of the subframe!! They have simply snapped off at the nut on the frame, leaving the ends of the threads down in the nuts :doh: Not only that, but the two bolts on the sides of the rack are loose as well and the whole rack is able to rock back and forth as if on a hinge. Well, the only thing I can do is torque down the remaining two bolts and hope they hold until we reach civilization :shrug:

:tab As I am taking care of my bike and getting my bag situated, a truck pulls up loaded with a bunch of young soldiers. The older of them, which looks to be their ranking guy, does not look all that thrilled. The younger guys, maybe 18-20 years old all look like they are having a blast. I ask if they were "playing" last night and they all respond with BIG grins. I thank them for the entertainment as they pull around us and drive off. Just then I hear this horrible noise and look up to see Casey low side his bike right in front of the railroad tracks! What the heck is he doing? :scratch: He gets his bike up and comes over to where we are and explains that he just carried a little too much speed in the corner, hit the loose stuff and the front end tucked. He seems none the worse for the wear and we are good to go.

:tab The road leading out is deep silt. I have to remind myself that just because we are across the river, it does not mean I can relax. We still have quite a few miles to roll before we reach pavement. Buried randomly in the deep silt are large rocks waiting to kick the front end of the bike out in an unexpected direction. The front end continually wants to just keep going straight regardless of where I point it. The back end continually wants to slide out from under me when I try to put the power down to get the bike to turn. The weight up high and on the back of the bike really makes riding in this stuff a challenge! After a few miles, the road finally starts to climb up out of the river valley and run in the hills. Fortunately, the road here is wide and relatively smooth unlike the "roads" we had been riding on the other side of the river. There are huge wash board ruts, with rocks, sand and silt scattered about in the corners. However, we are able to run about a 35-40mph pace comfortably. I would love to stop and take some pictures as the sun starts casting long shadows. It is beautiful out here. At this point though we are just focused on getting to the nearest town for the night. The road twists and winds, rising and falling like a serpent strewn across the land. Eventually, we reach the paved highway and turn North for the run up to Superior.

:tab It is a strange feeling to reach the pavement and know that the worst is over. I don't recall ever really thinking we were in serious danger. However, the experience was certainly a good reminder of the unforgiving nature of the desert environment and how quickly things could go from fun to disaster. I fall in behind Casey, his bug lights illuminating the road ahead. My normally great headlight is horrible. Something must be wrong because the beam is bouncing all over the place. I would guess something broke during a drop or maybe another bolt is broken or missing :doh: The hum of the knobbies on the pavement is somehow reassuring. We pass by some large open pit copper mines as the last light fades from the sky. The run into Superior is a nice stretch of pavement, a relaxing way to finish the day's ride.

:tab Once in town, we start looking for a place to air up Drew's tires on the jeep. They can't run prolonged highway speeds at such low pressure without overheating. As we are putting through town to find a gas station, we spot a little local hotel on the side of the road. We stop at a gas station a few blocks down the road. We made it... I'm hungry... It takes close to $10 in quarters to get Drew's tires aired back up to their normal pressure! While messing with this we notice that his front left shock mount has broken and the shock is just dangling from the top mount :huh2:

Drew checking out the busted shock mount (notice how tall the tires are!)
IMG_0852.JPG

The tops of his tires are about even with my seat...
IMG_0853.JPG

:tab While the others are airing up tires, I head back up the street to check out the little hotel. Two rooms left. Perfect. I snag them and head back to the gas station. On advice from several locals, we plan to hit Los Hermanos for dinner. I inform the others about the rooms and head over to the restaurant to secure seating for our group. When I walk in wearing full gear and covered in several days of desert grime, I get some strange looks from the locals :lol2: "Have no fear, I come in peace, just show me your pork chops!!"

:tab The others arrive, we place our orders, suck down our drinks before the waitress barely walks away from the table, and the story telling begins! I know I am supposed to take pictures of the food, but I can't bring myself to wait that long to get started on it! :eat: The dinner salad is great. The potatoes are great! The corn is great! The big fat pork chops are GREAT! All this for a mere $8 too! Noticing the large breakfast menu, we decide to come back in the morning! After a great dinner we all head back the hotel for some parking lot bull session and to call the wives to let them know we are still alive and kicking. Eventually Drew and Drew head back to Mesa, leaving us to turn in for the night. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day. The bikes all need some TLC in return for their faithful service the last few days.

:tab The bed is stiff and hard, the pillow to thin, the air conditioner loud and ineffective... I'm asleep before I know it...

:tab John and I are packed and ready to roll pretty quick. Casey doesn't pack quick, hehe. Come to think of it, Casey doesn't do much of anything quick... except ride :rider:
Funny, people usually observe that everything I do is in a frantic, hurried fashion, yet rarely get anything accomplished so. I get so bogged down in the details, making sure everything is 'just so'. Of course in this case, I had a bag strapping 'system', which wasn't the simplest, and everything had to be just right...

I was trying to give Scott some time to catch up, but my memory is beginning to fade a little, so I shall continue…

Friday, 5/25
More itinerary adjustments… and things had to be going a little too smooth…

Once again I awoke with the early Arizona daybreak :sun:, still frustrated at the fact that I just paid to camp… in Arizona! :huh2: That’s like going to the coast and paying to see the ocean… Oh well, you do what you gotta do sometimes.

New friends helped us pack
DSCN2373.jpg

DSCN2375.jpg

Since the park search took us far out of the way of our route, I opted to continue the “AZ Route Digest” and skip the forests east of I-17 and head straight for Oak Canyon. Of course, this would also mean than we’d miss out on Schnebly Hill Rd descending into Sedona, unless we rode back to I-17 and took the freeway… no, no we don’t want to do that. We’ll if we skip that part of the route, then that’ll put us at the next camp site, which happens to be one of my favorites, at around noon… :-? so, as much as I hate the idea of missing out on another one of my favorite camp sites, maybe we’ll just make a stop there, then plan on camping at the trail head to the ruins. That would give us time to make Senator ‘Highway’ tomorrow.

After stopping for gas in Sedona, Scott stopped at the local NAPA Auto Parts for some brake fluid, and I continued to the only McDonalds in the world that has teal arches. I ordered me a couple of Sausage McMuffins and a coke, and waited for Scott and John to arrive.

After breakfast and a stop at Safeway for water and bungee cords for Scott, we began our run out the scenic 89A along Oak Creek for our climb out of the canyon.

Looking back toward Sedona From the crest of the canyon. Note the 3 roads… that are actually the same road…
DSCN2378.jpg

Scott taking one of 400 pictures
DSCN2377.jpg

Once out of the canyon, we turned west on FR535 and I took the guys on a fun ride through the forests above Oak Canyon for a visit to one of the many secluded fingers in the canyon.

Making dust on FR535
DSCN2382.jpg

From the one of the side routes to the canyon
DSCN2385.jpg

_DSC3209.jpg

Gratuitous bike shot
_DSC3213.jpg

Once back to FR535, I led the way to FR231, which is a maintained gravel road that leads most of the way to Sycamore Canyon, where I had originally planned to camp. Once I got on FR231, I told the guys to take the lead, so I could deal with the washboard without hindering their fun. Luckily the washboard wasn’t as bad as I had expected and they didn’t need to wait much. I resumed the lead where the road passed trough the gate and became an unimproved road the rest of the way to the canyon rim.

Rim break
DSCN2386.jpg

DSCN2387.jpg

DSCN2391.jpg

DSCN2392.jpg

DSCN2393.jpg

DSCN2395.jpg

The plan after the break was to make a connection to the west side of the canyon with a detour to the small community of Parks for gas. Since we would be covering a lot of miles today, I decided to let Scott’s GPS do the brunt of the work and showed Scott the route on my map so he could enter it into the GPS. Since we were to follow his gadget, I let him take lead through the red dirt forest roads. As we made our way deeper into FR231A, the dusty trail began to get entertaining, with large embedded rocks, water berms, dried ruts and general erosion. A good line was crucial any decent speed, and I placed my trust in Scott’s growing ability to pick a line as I practically hugged his back tire, otherwise finding myself dangerously lost in the dust if I dropped back. Scott did a good job of leading me through the minefield of rocks and ruts, until the one time I veered off his line as he appeared to fall into a deep rut… I heard a sudden *WHACK!* as I saw the KLR do it’s best to buck Scott over the bars, all the while I’m thinking to myself “hang on Scott, ride it out!” Scott brought the loaded KLR back into control, but not without a clicking, rattling sound of possible damage. He clicked to a stop, luckily to find the noisy culprit; the back tire had sucked the license plate into the fender well, with the plate rubbing against the Dunlop knobby. Scott pulled the plate back out to a position somewhere near it’s original location and we continued a short distance to an old crumbling log cabin where we stopped for a rest and route check. We weren’t far from Parks; just a mostly straight shot up this road, which should end at a maintained gravel road into the ‘town’.

Rest stop
_DSC3220.jpg

Once on our way again, we were quickly halted by a cattle guard at a fence where we were faced with a ‘No Trespassing’ sign… :argh: Now what? This is the way we needed to go; any other option was a long way out of the way, with a good bit of back-tracking involved. I had a hunch that we wouldn’t be on the private property for long before we reached the main road, so we took our chance. The hunch was correct, and after a short sprint we turned right for a dusty ride into town.

We fueled-up in Parks, but there wasn’t much for eating options, so we decided to follow the old Route 66 and some back-roads into Williams, since my bike pretty much wouldn’t go over 50 mph at this altitude. Once in Williams, we stopped at a quiet old Route 66 café for lunch. I still wasn’t real hungry after my morning McFeast, so I settled for an order of greasy fries and a couple gallons of Pepsi :thpt: .

Back on the bikes, we headed south on Perkinsville Road, the DR spitting and sputtering as we wind through the tall pines and stands of Aspen looking for FR139, which would take us back to the roads around Sycamore Canyon. FR139 came in short order, which led us to the series of roads that would lead us on our dusty journey south through the pine forests to the canyon rim, and eventually to our planned :rolleyes: camping destination at Cow Flat near the Sycamore Canyon Wilderness.

FR139
DSCN2396.jpg

Sycamore canyon. Hopefully Scott or John will post one of their panoramas
_DSC3236.jpg

_DSC3222.jpg

After our break at the rim, I donned the neglected helmet cam, and with the route entered on Scott’s GPS, sent him into the lead. The next few miles was yet another pleasant rolling ride through the forest on FR105. The further we went south, the more the “road” deteriorated, until it became a jeep road as it began it’s descent into the high desert. We were moving at a good pace, and were making good time. I had long since dropped back out of Scott’s dust for the video’s sake, enjoying the views of the mountains to the south and west from our winding shelf road. The road began to get increasingly rough, until eventually I was dancing across boulders... No sooner than I thought to myself “man, Scott must be getting the hang of this”, he appeared around the bend… not on the bike, but rather standing the middle of the road next to an upright (thank God) KLR with his arms waving. The fun was over, and I rolled to a stop. It appears Scott had lost the left footpeg when it slammed into one of the big boulders, completely shearing the bolts that held it, as well as the aftermarket center stand. Of course, once again, the threaded portions were still snug in the frame :doh: .

Something is missing from this picture…
DSCN2400.jpg

DSCN2401.jpg

Much rougher than it looks. This is where the belly of Scott’s bike made hard contact with one of the many large embeded rocks
DSCN2398.jpg

We still had a bit of this abusive FR354 ahead of us, and the sun was making haste for the horizon. Lucky for Scott, he still had the highway pegs that I had poked fun about earlier in the trip, so we knew once we got to a smoother road he’d be able to cruise okay. One thing was certain though, the rough 13 mile ride out FR181 to Cow Flat was not going to be a realistic option for him. After looking at the map, he decided to go out the smooth FR492 to Hwy 89 for a paved ride into Prescott. Since John was quick to volunteer to join him, stating that we didn‘t think he‘d be up for the ruin hike the next morning anyway, I decided to continue on to Cow Flat. We would meet in Prescott sometime around noon the next day, allowing time for Scott to find a shop to extract the bolts.

While we were prepping Scott’s bike for its limp to Prescott, I was feeling some strong, um, ‘intestinal urges’… :wary: So I told them to go on without me. Things were getting a bit urgent, and my ‘paper’ wasn’t in a convenient place, so John tossed his pack of wipes at me and I went in frantic search of a good rock…:moon:

Feeling better, and now sold on wet wipes in lieu of paper, I suited up and mounted my tired bike for the remainder of the ride to my camp site. The sun was getting low now, directly in my eyes, and my dirty, dusty goggles were proving difficult to see out of. I stopped and tried to go without them, but after a few minutes decided that the tinted lenses were a necessity. I only had to endure a few more miles before I would turn away from the sun, so I pressed on. The trail got even worse before it got better, and I hoped Scott was fairing okay some distance ahead of me.

I finally came to Perkinsville Rd and made haste for FR181. The sun was about to set, and I still had about 13 miles of a rough, twisty, hilly jeep road to navigate.

The start to FR181
DSCN2413.jpg

Once at FR181, the race was on to beat the sunset to camp. The faster I rode, the longer the road seemed to go on, then as I reached the familiar flatter, silty stretch before the end of the trail, the ‘urge’ returned… this time with a vengeance :shock:. I carefully opened the throttle to manage the DR’s rich hiccups, and focused on reaching the end at speed… I could see it now, the opening in the barbed wire wilderness boundary where the main road ends, and part of the Sycamore hiking trail continues. In one fluid motion I slid to a stop, leaping from the bike, frantically shedding my gear, and dashing through opening in the fence, then right, up the fence line behind the trees :oops:. I don’t know why this was necessary, as I was far from civilization. conveniently, the bottom wire of the barbed wire fence was barbless, and made for a nice perch…:moon:

This time didn’t go as smoothly as the last, and at this point, I was getting concerned. But ambient light was fading fast, and I had a camp to build. I slung my gear over the bike and made my way up the hill a short distance to my camping spot. Once again, while I was pitching my tent, the urge returned… :argh: this is getting ridiculous! I couldn’t find a good rock or anything else at a glance, and the bottom wire of this fence was barbed, so I had to resort to holding onto a post and relying on the strength of my legs. I had no idea how difficult this could be, and soon the burn in my legs began to exceed that of other places… Luckily I thought to pack some Imodium :clap:, so after a large dosage I frantically resumed my tent pitching. I finished just in time to get a fire going before the last bit of light slipped away. Now was a good time to enjoy the Chianti that I had packed in a small plastic water bottle, along with a stick of cheddar. Enjoying my solitude, I sat on a log next to my fire and reflected on the trip thus far. Although little went as planned, I still felt as though it was a success, rich with drama and adventure, just how I like it.

_DSC3243.jpg

:sleep:

Last edited:
Gotdurt said:
...so I had to resort to holding onto a post and relying on the strength of my legs. I had no idea how difficult this could be, and soon the burn in my legs began to exceed that of other places…

TMI!! TMI!! :nono: :lol2:

"After stopping for gas in Sedona, Scott stopped at the local NAPA Auto Parts for some brake fluid, and I continued to the only McDonalds in the world that has teal arches."

Man those GREEN arches should have been a dead give-a-way. :eek2: Or did you eat some unsuspecting lizard?:eat:

"After stopping for gas in Sedona, Scott stopped at the local NAPA Auto Parts for some brake fluid, and I continued to the only McDonalds in the world that has teal arches."

Man those GREEN arches should have been a dead give-a-way. :eek2: Or did you eat some unsuspecting lizard?:eat:

LOL, guess your're refering to my 'issues'? I blame the large, dripping-greasy plate of fries I scarfed in Williams...

I do not think I could have made it more then one day of your guy's pleasure cruise.

Great Adventure.

Wednesday - 5/23: "What size bolts do you need again...?"

... As I put my helmet back on, it occurred to me that you are never more completely the sum of everything you've ever been than when you take a slightly difficult motorcycle trip into a strange land. And make it back out again. [ Peter Egan, Leanings, July 07 issue of Cycle World]

:tab Written after a trip to Copper Canyon Mexico where things simply did not go as planned... :lol2: I think Peter would have had a fun time on our trip :trust: I know I would have enjoyed reading his perspective on the craziness of the past few days! He certainly has a way with words when it comes to the experiences of motorcycling :bow:

:tab Despite having all the curtains drawn tight, my room lights up with the morning sun. The pathetic curtain over the window has no chance of blocking any of penetrating brightness... my eye lids aren't much better :huh2: Nothing to do but get up. We're going to have a busy morning doctoring the KLR back to traveling condition.

If it were any brighter, the curtain would burst into flames :argh:
IMG_0857.JPG

Our weary steeds strapped to the hitchin post...
IMG_0854.JPG

Casey scopes out the remnants of John's Terraflex
IMG_0855.JPG

After two days of rocky abuse, maybe 75 miles total...
IMG_0856.JPG

Developing a little too much character...? :ponder:
IMG_0858.JPG

Of course we had to go back to Los Hermanos for breakfast :eat3:
IMG_0859.JPG

:tab After a fantastic breakfast that cost a mere $4 including the drink and tip, we headout. Our new plan is to get to Globe just up the highway where we will have a better selection of autoparts stores in our search for replacement hardware for the KLR. We also need to find someone that can remove the remnants of the busted bolts in my subframe. The run up US 60 is nice easy pavement through some beautiful terrain. It is very rocky and there are massive boulders strewn about as if God dropped his bag of marbles. We did not top off the bikes in Superior and sure enough, a few miles from Globe my bike starts to sputter... I reach down and flip to reserve and then pull up to let Casey know I'll be needing gas sooner than later.

:tab We make it into Globe with no problems and get gas. Then it is off to the Wal-Mart to restock our supplies. Lastly, we start looking for places to get the bolts pulled on my bike. We had passed a shop with a bunch of ATV's and a few bikes out front so we backtracked there to see if they could help us. A minute or two of explanation of what we need and they were on top of things!

Drilling out the studs and running the hole all the way down through the subframe
IMG_0860.JPG

I failed to get a good shot of him, but this is Bill, a friendly and enthusiastic service tech! We need more like him in the industry!!
IMG_0861.JPG

Hole drilled, we still need to find some replacement bolts. The shop did not have any long enough.
IMG_0862.JPG

:tab If you are ever in the area around Globe, Az., and find yourself in need of assistance, be sure to check out the folks at Copper Mountain Motorsports. They have us good to go in short order and for an unbelievably good price :thumb: We say our thanks and head off in search of bolts.

:tab We stop at the first auto parts store we see and check to see what they have. I start unpacking the KLR so I can get to the rack. Once that is done I head inside to join Casey and John in the hardware isle. They don't have what we need... and I have to go outside and repack the bike... At the next place I will check first and unpack second :doh: So we head down the road a little further and come to another place. We pull up onto the sidewalk under the awning to get into the shade. The adjoining stores seem to be closed down so this is a great spot to work on the bike. We spend the next thirty minutes in the back of the auto parts store digging through boxes and trays of assorted bolts, nuts and washers. Computerized inventory tracking has not made it to this store yet... However, they are right in the middle of making the transition, literally! There is stuff everywhere and they are totally reworking the store, so confusion reigns. The guy helping us is determined though and he does not give up until we find exactly what we need. Satisfied we have what I need, I unpack the bike ;-)

John is the tool man... His packing system makes his the easiest to access!
IMG_0863.JPG

:tab We soon find out that the holes that were drilled all the way down through the subframe are just a tiny hair too small to let the bolts come all the way through :doh: The guy at the store mentions a place next door that works on cars, so I cruise over there, explain my problem and in moments the holes are drilled out a bit larger. No charge. Awesome! Back to the sidewalk and shade and I commence to getting things fixed.

Replacing the headlight mounting bolts
IMG_0864.JPG

:tab Where possible, we put longer bolts in the place of the original bolts and added either lock washers or lock nuts to help prevent further issues with parts going MIA. By the time we finally get everything taken care of, it is getting to be early afternoon. Casey is busy doing the mental rerouting to salvage what is left of the day and to maximize the ride experience. Our new plan is to make it to the town of Young... wherever that is :shrug:

Back together, better than new, and ready to resume duty!
IMG_0865.JPG

:tab We make one more stop on the way out of town to load up on water. I snag some powdered Gatorade/Propel packs to tuck away in my Camel Bak pockets for later use. It occurs to me now that it would have been reallll nice to have had some of these when we were out in the desert a few days ago :doh: We head North out of town on Hwy 188 and up into the mountains. It almost feels like we are setting out on a whole new trip. As the road winds through the mountains we see numerous large Saguaro cacti everywhere. Oddly, many of them are being propped up by 2 X 4's in groups and have what looks to be a water tank nearby :scratch: It kind of reminds me of all the palm trees in Houston that have to be held up by 2 X 4's because they just don't grow real well in Houston :roll:

:tab We soon start dropping down out of the mountains into a large wide valley. Off in the hazy distance I can see a shimmering lake North of us. Before we reach it, we turn off onto Hwy 288. This is supposed to be a great long ride through the mountains on a rutted dirt road! It starts out paved.

Crossing the Salt River, which flows into Roosevelt Lake, before we start climbing again
IMG_0866.JPG

IMG_0867.JPG

:tab The bridge crossing is right around 2500 feet in altitude, by the time we stop again a few miles later, we are up to 5000 feet. When we get to the spot where the sign says "Pavement ends", it keeps going :argh: It would seem that since Casey was last out here, the Arizona Highway Department has been busy! No matter. We are passing road construction trucks that are coming down off the mountains so they are probably still doing the paving and hopefully they have not gotten very far. Still, it makes for a fun ride!! :rider:

Looking West back toward Roosevelt Lake
IMG_0868.JPG

Not the best pavement in the world, but the KLR eats it up!
IMG_0869.JPG

:tab After a few more miles, Casey pulls onto a rocky little side road that runs out towards the rim of the valley. We follow the road for maybe 3/4 of a mile and then it crests a slight rise to reveal the entire valley down below.

According to the Topo Maps on the GPS, the cliffs we see are over 1000 feet tall and I can get reallll close to the edge :eek:
IMG_0870.JPG

Spring has not totally sprung just yet...
IMG_0871.JPG

Apparently, cactus like living on the edge ;-)
IMG_0872.JPG

Looking back East to what I think is Asbestos Point (6654 ft).
IMG_0873.JPG

:tab After soaking up the view for a bit, we head back to the highway and continue our climb to higher altitudes. The road starts getting really curvy with some fun switchbacks and we are soon nearing 6000 feet. We pass a few more construction vehicles and then finally reach the start of the paving.

We spend some time hanging out with this guy just chatting
IMG_0874.JPG

Wasting time while waiting for the pilot truck to show up, looking back South the way we just came
IMG_0875.JPG

:tab It takes about fifteen minutes before the pilot truck comes around the corner, followed by all manner of construction trucks and equipment. Worst of all, there is a big oil tanker truck dripping fresh oil :uhoh: Sure enough, as the pilot truck gets turned around and we start following him, we have to ride on the freshly oiled side of the road :argh: The sand and oil is kicking up off the pilot truck, off of Casey's tires, and I can hear/feel it getting stuck all over the bottom of my bike :doh: This is gonna be messy... The pilot truck crawls along at a snails pace, almost so slow that it is hard to keep the bikes balanced, just fast enough I can't coast but not enough to let the clutch all the way out. After what seems like an eternity of gravel bouncing off the bike, we reach the end, leave the pilot truck and oil behind, and the road is unpaved!! :dude:

Does it get any better than this...?
IMG_0877.JPG

The long shadows of the late afternoon make for great views!
IMG_0878.JPG

From destruction comes new life....
IMG_0879.JPG

For the last three days of desert heat, not a cloud to be seen, but now... :roll:
IMG_0880.JPG

[More later, gotta go to work :doh: ]

[Okay, back to bidness]

It was a beautiful ride, perfect temp, not to windy, great scenery, nice road, very relaxing... just what I needed after the last few days!
IMG_0881.JPG

:tab Since I have not spent any time going over Casey's routes I really have no idea where we are going or how close we are to being there. It is kind of a nice change because I just focus on enjoying the ride and leave all that stuff to Casey. Normally, I would be the one doing all the constant rerouting and worrying about mileage, places to stop, and all the other things that I worry about when I am leading a ride. Yeah... this is great... I just kind of slip into a groove and enjoy the show.

:tab Soon we are starting to descend and I can see a wide flat valley below. I presume this is Young, where we will be staying the night. It is getting on in the evening so that is fine with me. There is supposed to be some incredible place to eat here that Casey has been dying to revisit. That's cool, I have a few of those places as well, so hopefully it will be really good.

A blooming Century Plant spotted on the way down into the valley below
IMG_0882.JPG

IMG_0883.JPG

The buds were just starting to open... a few more days and it would have been spectacular!
IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

:tab We round the last few curves as we drop to the valley floor and the road is paved again. It runs straight into town. This is obviously a small town. I've no clue what folks here do for a living, maybe ranching? We cruise through town and spot a decent looking little hotel. Casey keeps going, so I guess he is looking for the restaurant where he wants to do dinner. We cruise right out of town... okay... and then he pulls over at a gravel road.

Isn't there a song about this place or something?
IMG_0886.JPG

:tab Seeing the open sign swinging in the breeze, we head on up the side of the hill. The restaurant seems to be someone's house set high on a nice hill. We pull into the parking lot and as I am trying to park the bike some lady is yelling at us. Casey does some yelling back. What the...? It would seem they are closed and she is telling us to go away :doh: Real friendly folks... :lol2: So... back into town we go. Casey is disappointed... just another plan tossed aside like so much nothing :-P

:tab We passed a place on the way into town that I pointed out which looked interesting. It would seem it is our only alternative as public eating establishments are not real common in this town. So we pull up outside the Antler Cafe. Looks charming enough... :shrug:

Never judge a book by its cover :eat:
IMG_0887.JPG

Is that a deck table umbrella up there? This could be interesting...
IMG_0888.JPG

Always a good sign to see a few local vehicles out front!
IMG_0889.JPG

This the Cafe side, the other side is a bar and some kind of museum :scratch:
IMG_0890.JPG

:tab Bacon Cheeseburger and Fries for me please :mrgreen: Extra grease! The food comes out and is HOT! I bite into one of the fries and soon realize I have sacrificed a few layers of skin from the roof of my mouth to the experience :doh: The fries are awesome though, as is the burger! Stuffed and getting stiffer by the moment from sitting, we waddle out of the place and get back on the bikes. Time to get a room.

:tab The hotel seems pretty nice. They even have a cool fire place outside the rooms. Hopefully they will let us use them. The office is closed but they have a phone on the wall with a number that says to call, so I do. A few minutes later the owner comes walking up from behind the building to check us in. The rooms are NICE! Amazing compared to what we have been staying in the last few tries at motels. I think my bathroom alone is nearly the size of the entire room I stayed in the night we got out of the desert :lol2: When I come back out of my room to start unloading the bike, I notice Casey has a beer in his hand... Where'd that come from!? Upon further inquiry, it seems some angel of God visited the room before we got there and left exactly THREE beers in the fridge :hail: Hmmm... My fridge is empty :doh: Casey is kind enough to share :lol2:

IMG_0891.JPG

The fire place, even has a gas grill they told us we could use if we wanted to do some cooking!
IMG_0892.JPG

The light fades as I set to building a fire :trust:
IMG_0893.JPG

Casey enjoying the beer from Heaven :chug:
IMG_0894.JPG

Casey after his beer trying to figure out why his bike is running so poorly :scratch:
IMG_0895.JPG

John enjoying the cool clear evening, a cold brew and a nice fire. A great end to a great day!
IMG_0896.JPG

Shortly after this, the flames were spilling out the front and up the face of the hearth!
IMG_0897.JPG

Casey sets up to experiment with some low light photography
IMG_0899.JPG

:tab We enjoy a nice evening sitting in front of the fire, listening to jets on approach to Phoenix, and star gazing. Eventually, the best wood is all burned away to ashes and I hear my bed calling... well... actually I hear the hot shower calling a little louder ;-) So I call it a night and head to my room.

:tab It would seem that Casey is not the only one destined to have his plans dashed on this trip. I thought I might get by without having made any plans or formed any real expectations leading into this trip. I'm wrong... When I pull back the shower curtain to step into the steaming hot water, I notice the water is just falling straight down out of the shower head instead of spraying. Worse yet, there are streams spraying in all directions out of cracks in the fitting where it screws to the water pipe coming out of the wall. It would seem the casting has completely cracked in several places. Thinking I might be able to at least adjust the head to get a decent spray, I reach up to turn the knob only to have the entire head fall apart into my hands, scalding hot water going everywhere! :eek2: Now I am not one that normally gets into dancing, but I am busting some serious moves trying to avoid getting particular parts of me scalded!! :shock: I manage to get the water cooled off and then get the various pieces of the shower head reassembled. The best it will do is the straight down stream... Oh well... at least it is HOT!!

:tab Clean and relaxed, I slip into a very comfortable bed and soon drift away to dream of things to come...

Last edited:
Hmmm... My AVI video files are pretty big. The smallest is about 8Mb, but most are up around 20Mb or more. Everyone viewing them would kill my monthly bandwidth. I guess I could stick them on YouTube :shrug:

I'd love to see you guys compare and contrast the three bikes on this trip. A KTM, a KLR and a DR650 on this true dual sport trip with a wide range of conditions ought to be a classic thread. How much fuel did the KTM hold? How far was it between fuel stops and how overall availability?

That KTM has a factory 5 gallon tank I added that holds exactly 5 gallons (found this out when I ran out one time and had to push to a station). I never had less than a gallon in the tank at any time, and wasn't all the way full when we started.

Was running a 14-45 sprocket set, made first gear a granny gear only and RPM's at 75 were higher than I like to run the bike for a long period of time.

Suspension was great, considering the springs front and aft were carrying significantly more than their rated load.

Tires were my only issue, the terraflex made the bike feel like it was understeering pretty bad, even on pavement, and felt real squirmy when I leaned in to a corner on pavemant. Had me riding real slow in the twisties.

Terraflex absolutely rocked for those gnarly rocky climbs though, could stop and start again on pretty much all the climbs if I needed to with that low gear and tire. Same for going down the steep rocky descents, There were places even the terraflex had a hard time keeping my speed controlled, but not many. That and that engine has more than enough power for anything, and will lug up most climbs even at just over idle revs.

That said, I'll never buy another Terraflex I don't think. :)

Bike is basically stock other than tank/seat though and had zero issues.

From my perspective the DR looked great, aside from jetting issues and Caseys cut rear spring/shock that didn't seem to be doing well, specially on washboard roads.

Scotts KLR was geared too high, Where he got it stuck day one I tried to ride it up and couldn't, had it been geared better I'm sure I could have. I got my KTM in the exact same spot he was in and rode it up from there pretty easily. If it had been geared a good deal lower I doubt he would have had as much trouble. Could have used a little more ground clearance maybe.

Last edited:
For the most part the DR650SE did pretty good. It handled very well, even in the sand without headshake.

Gearing was adequate for me at 14-41 (15-41 stock). It got me up every climb and over every obstacle first try, so luckily I didn't have to test it for a mid-climb restart... that's the idea, right?

For tires I was using a Maxxis M6006 rear and Kenda Trakmaster front. I continue to be pretty impressed by both. I made every technical climb with ease and rocked pretty good in the sand washes. I was amazed that I didn't suffer any pinches, even after some hard hits, especially the last day. I ran about 15psi in them on the first 2 days and about 20psi the rest of the trip. 20 psi was fine on pavement as long as I didn't ask too much of them. Pavement is great at about 30 psi, even for the aggressive Kenda.

I have a 4.9 gal IMS tank. Plenty big for this trip, and I averageed a little over 40mpg.

My Supertrapp IDS2 exhaust sounded really cool.

From my perspective the DR looked great, aside from jetting issues and Caseys cut rear spring/shock that didn't seem to be doing well, specially on washboard roads.

Yep, the big problems on the DR were suspension and jetting. The rear spring was cut to a 450lb spring (stock is 365), but the already poor damping shock was far from adequate for such a stiff spring. This made for a lot of motion, and control could be an issue over large obstacles, g-outs, etc at speed. Wash board was the worst though; the rear suspension was way to live/active for the evenly spaced bumps, and the back tire would basically levitate. It was a necessary trade though, because before, the stock spring would bottom (without a load) if I so much as sneezed hard; there's no way it would've handled all of that weight on some of those trails. With the stiffer spring, even with the gear weight, it never bottomed once, and there were times that I showed no mercy, especially on the last day.

The front suspension was too soft. I had cut a little off the front springs, but not much because there was a threat of coil-bind. They are adequate without a load, but loaded they were a bit overwhelmed. I had to focus on predicting where the front would be an issue and make the back take the hits. Hard to do though when you can't work the throttle due to jetting...

Jetting was my other big issue, starting at about 4k feet. It was rideable above that, as long as I was real easy on the throttle and keep the top speed down, depending on the elevation. At elev's above 6-7k', I couldn't go over 50 mph. I had planned to remove the airbox lid at one of the overnights, but kept forgetting once we were off the bikes.

I carried a lot more weight that I really needed and would normally carry, but I wanted this to be a comfy, pleasant trip, so I brought more clothes than needed, as well as other things to make life 'easier' and cleaner. I also brought a lot of camera gear (which I hardly used :argh:), including a tripod, multiple lenses and a video camera with a helmet cam. I had a lot of weight on my back, as well as on my bike.

Scotts KLR was geared too high, Where he got it stuck day one I tried to ride it up nd couldn't, had it been geared better I'm sure I could have. I got my KTM in the exact same spot he was in and rode it up from there pretty easily. If it had been geared a good deal lower I doubt he would have had as much trouble.

I rode behind Scott a bit, and was surprised at how well his suspension worked. He had a progressive rear and straight rate Race-tech front. The KLR appeared controlled over everything.

His biggest problem (besides a little more weight) was gearing. Had I known he still had a 15t front sprocket on the bike, I would have suggested 14t. He had a 14t, just didn't bring it with him... The 14 might not have helped get the bike restarted after stopping, but might have made the difference between stopping and keeping it moving.

I didn't get to spend any time in the rougher stuff behind the KTM, but didn't hear John complaining much. Since it's far more of a dirt bike than the other 2, I'd venture to say it did great ;-) . He did drop back pretty far in the twisties due to the squirmy Terraflex though. He was smart and packed the least.

Last edited:
Heh, yeah as many have said it's probably not wise to ride behind a terraflex in the rough stuff. I didn't chew that tire up taking it easy on it. :)

That tire was my only real beef though, could have used bigger springs as KTM springs the bikes for 160-170 lb riders and I weight 200 plus gear. Only bottomed the rear out a few times though.

I was very surprised we had no pinch flats, I popped my front hard enough on big rocks a few times I stopped to take a look afterward. I was running one of those D908 Rally raid front tires with a heavy duty tube, I still need to check the front wheel for bends after some of those hits though.

I probably wouldn't have used the Terraflex, but I've had it sitting in my garage for 2 years and figured I have to use it sometime.;-)

I only packed the necessities, one change of lightweight clothes one to wear and one to wash, 3 pair of wool socks and drawers, lightweight food and stove, 3.5lb tent, lightweight sleeping bad and essential tools. I figure 30-35 lbs total not counting 3 liters of water in the camelback. Split a bit over half on the bike in a $5 totes duffle bag bungied on and the rest in my camelback backpack which was a little heavier on my back than I would have liked. Had a mesh jacket and liner with me, but had it gotten cold and rainy my pants were goretex and I'd have been limited to a garbage bag over my jacket liner up top.

I basically treated it like a light weight backpacking trip and packed what I would have for a several day backpacking carrying it on my back trip plus bike tools. I wasn't going out in the middle of nowhere without some real food though.

Last edited:
:tab I don't think gas was too much of an issue for me. I was getting pretty good mpg even in the technical stuff. Bike ran great at altitude as well. Suspension was working fine.

:tab Several issues for me: rear weight up high, stock gearing, no rim locks so I could not air down as low as I would have liked.

:tab I was using the Wolfman large Expedition tail bag. I had learned on the Mexico trip last March not to over pack it. So I had my sleeping bag, a few days worth of clothes, and some tools. My tent was strapped to the back of it. Still, it was pretty heavy, up high, and far back. This made some of the hill climbs tough because the front end kept wanting to come up when I tried to throttle over stuff. I could not weight the front end enough to keep it down. Saddle bags would work better because they keep the weight lower. The bag also got in the way when I needed to pick the bike up after a drop. I could probably have packed a bit less in the way of clothes and maybe tools. I carried 3 liters in my Camel Bak with jerky and power bars. Given our experience, I think I might look at packing the kind of food John had, but I need a stove. I really think John has one of those magic Bags of Holding. Anyone that played Dungeons and Dragons knows about these! They open to another dimension and you can cram tons of stuff in them but they never get bulky or heavy :lol2:

:tab I have the 14 tooth front for the KLR. That would have helped a LOT because throttle control in first gear is real snatchy which makes the climbs tough. It is either on or off and not much in between. If I tried second gear, I just couldn't carry enough speed to keep from lugging the engine into a stall. This is not to say someone else might not have been able to carry the speed, but at my current skill set (very inexperienced) and given the technical nature of many of the climbs, I was barely treading water ;-) I think the 14 tooth might have let me run 2nd gear on the climbs and made it easier to control. I might have lost a few mpg, but not much. Like John's KTM though, I would not want to rap it out on the highway at 75mph for very long.

:tab I aired down to about 20psi. Not having rim locks I am not wild about going lower. The tires were the D606s and they did great. Mine was no where near as shredded as John's Terraflex. However, trying to restart on some of those climbs had the rear spinning instead of grabbing. Everywhere else though it was great. I don't think anything would have helped in those gravel washes... :brainsnap

:tab Given the cost of the KLR and the few mods I have done to it, I am pretty happy with how it did. The bolt issues could have been taken care of ahead of time if I had thought about it :doh: I would say that the first few days were pretty much at the limit of what I would want to attempt on a KLR though. If I were to ride out there more often so that I could actually develop some skills, it would help tremendously!!

:tab Ground clearance was only an issue once or twice... that last one being when the centerstand took a serious whack that ripped off my footpeg :doh:

What did you end up doing about the foot peg? When mine came off, Cagiva 549 helped me out by drilling it out and using a helicoil to insert SS threads and used stronger bolts.

Are these the infamous subframe bolts everyone upgrades?

Actually, no. Those had already been done and they were fine. These were the two small bolts that go down through the top of the luggage rack and screw into nuts that are welded to the backside of tabs which are themselves welded to the frame tube. I've not seen those included in any of the upgrade kits. However, I was able to have the bolts drilled out and I had the guy run a hole all the way down through the frame tube so I could put lock nuts on the end of the bolts.

The same is true for the footpeg bolts. I have never seen them included as part of the upgrade either. I think the bolts that were in there were not stock as they are longer than the stock bolts to allow for the thickness of the centerstand mount bracket. The nut for the footpeg bolts is welded inside a box with no way to access it. I don't want to risk drilling all the way through the main frame at such a high stress area. So this presents a bit of a dilemma with regards to improving the strength of the mounting.

The other bolts are just bolts that vibrated out and disappeared. I use blue loctite on most of them, but that did not seem to hold. Red loctite will actually damage some of the nuts on the bike because of the lower grade metal used. Casey's friend Drew mentioned some kind of grey stuff that is supposed to work like loctite but it doesn't dry or mess up the threads. I can't remember the name of it though :shrug:

What did you end up doing about the foot peg? When mine came off, Cagiva 549 helped me out by drilling it out and using a helicoil to insert SS threads and used stronger bolts.

Well, as far as we could tell, the nuts for the footpeg were still good after we removed the remainder of the bolts. John thinks one of them might be on the verge of having the threads shear out though. So I was thinking of doing the helicoil thing. I have never done that before so I don't really know what is involved. One of the bolts that holds down the rear of the gas tank has the same problem with the nut threads. I need to get that one fixed as well. Right now I just have a big zip tie holding it down ;-)

Okay, finished the report for Wednesday. I'll try to get more done tomorrow.

Back