• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gnats, Knobbies, Bolts, Bullets and Boulders... The Thrashing of Best Laid Plans...

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab So I survived a week of DS riding in Arizona, joined by Dyna Sport and "led" by Gotdurt :lol2: The saying is that the adventure really begins when things stop going as planned... and perhaps when you start wondering how grilled lizzards might taste... Well, we got a real jump on starting the adventure for this trip :doh: I'll start posting pics and reports as I can... stay tuned!

Re: Gnats, Knobbies, Bolts and Boulders... The Thrashing of the Best Laid Plans... Az

I’ll go ahead and kick off the report since I already had the first couple of days prepared. We all apologize in advance for the lack of photos in the best areas and trails, as we were either having too much fun to stop, or were under too much stress to think about pulling out the cameras ;-). Since Scott has more patience for writing, I'll leave the creative writing to him, and to keep my side short and to the point...

Friday, 5/18 though Saturday 5/19
Getting things in place

I was useless at work on Friday, so I knocked off early and headed for the house. I had all my gear ready and waiting in the front when John ('Tx Rider', prev 'Dyna Sport') arrived, and the 2 of us were ready to go by the time Scott pulled up at around 6:30 PM. The plan was to drive through the night, arriving in the Phoenix area by noon. We loaded the bikes after some last-minute trailer modifications and climbed into the truck. My eyes welled up as I watched my not-quite 3 year old son begin cry as he waived and said "bye-bye Daddy".

The night was so long, but strangley short... Make sense? As we began to enter the more familiar areas that I had once explored, I was struck by the odd feeling that I had never actually left; many things hadn’t changed, and memories came flooding back. Driving through Globe presented a rather surreal feeling, and once in Mesa I felt like I was home…

We arrived a little early and opted to find a motel before going to drop off the truck in Tempe. I had a place in mind that I had remembered seeing on Main street in Mesa; it was a c. 60's era motel that had a neon sign with a woman jumping from the top of the sign landing in a splash of water at the bottom... however, I wasn't married to the idea, so we opted to drive further to see if there was one that was closer to Walmart, as we still had some items to get for the ride. The idea was to find a ground-floor room that we could park the bikes near. We saw a few along the way, and John spotted one that appeared to be in decent condition just down the street from Wallyworld. The lobby was clean enough, and the rates were along the lines of the local Motel 6's, so we took 2 rooms. What was better was that the rooms had patio doors, and we were told that we could just park the bikes in the rooms...

We found the building with our rooms only to discover that the door latch into the building was broken, so after playing with it for a while, decided to just climb the rail into the staircase... after entering the dirty, smelly hall that led to our rooms, I had a bad feeling. That feeling was soon justified; the room was as dingy as the hall leading to it, with dirty, worn walls and floors. John and I made our way to the patio door, only to find it locked with a key that we didn't have... Scott’s door was luckily lock-free, but his room was in even worse condition than ours, complete with a picture hanging half-way out of its frame.

Let's see, disgusting rooms, inaccessible building... the idea of staying there seemed pretty ridiculous, so we headed for the office to check out... early. Of course the owner started making up policies and refused to refund, so John and Scott said they'd just settle it through the card companies, and we left.

We decided to head back to the diving girl place and see what it was like. As we pulled in, I noticed the well kept grounds, and I hopped out and entered the office. The rates were reasonable, so I asked to see the rooms. These rooms were actually very nice for such an old, privately owned motel, and we took them.

Next task was to drop off the truck and trailer in Tempe at Jim's house. I found Jim on Advrider and he was kind enough to let us park the truck and trailer in his back yard while we were away riding. Finding His house was easy, and once our bikes and gear were unloaded, we made our way to one of my favorite eateries, Rubio’s Baja Grill. I was disappointed to discover that they no longer have the delicious Lobster Burrito, but still enjoyed an excellent steak burrito and fish taco.

After stuffing ourselves with Rubio's goodness, the others headed back to the motel while I headed for my old 'hood north of town for a surprise visit to a friend. Unfortunately Drew wasn't home; his house-mate Pat said he was in Mexico, and wouldn't be home until Monday or Tuesday. While I was there, Pat showed me the supercharged Lexus V8 that he was getting ready to slip into an '06 Toyota Tacoma. Never a dull moment at Drew's house!

Hanging out at the motel…
DSCN2269.jpg

DSCN2271.jpg

Last edited:
Casey got a LOT of those looks from me during the week of this trip :lol2:

Sunday, 5/20
The fun begins…

Morning came and the sun began to rise, along with John. That's good enough for me, so I got up too. The morning was cool, and we loaded our bikes. I went and made an attempt to get Scott up, but that didn't work too well :lol2:

Scott eventually rose, and we got a later start than I had hoped. I was a little concerned about the heat of the day, but continued with the planned route. We turned south into the state land that held our first dirt for the day, and is the gateway to a desert paradise.

Entrance to the State Trust Land.
DSCN2273.jpg

The 1st pass where things begin to get scenic and interesting…
DSCN2274.jpg

Once in Box Canyon, we were having so much fun racing through the canyon wash that I totally missed the turn into Martinez Canyon. I came upon an inexperienced driver and his wife in nearly-stuck 4wd SUV trying to negotiate some eroded bedrock. I parked the bike and advised him that if he was having trouble here, he going to have real trouble further up the trail, unless his wife was up for some serious rock stacking :-P. He finally got turned around and we were on our way. After some more fun I began to exit the canyon and recognized the trail changing back into a road, soon realizing that we had gone too far. I had missed my landmark, an old adobe casita, and had blown past our turn. How could I have missed it? It’s a very obvious landmark… I watched for it on the way back and still never saw it; I guess it must have been overgrown by the surrounding palo verde trees. I saw my turn regardless, and we headed into Martinez Canyon. I eventually turned south on the “Coke Oven Trail”. Do note that I added this trail to the route at Scott’s request :-P.

This is where I knew the challenges would begin for Scott, although I didn’t recall the challenges being this consistent (my apologies to Scott :shrug: ). I knew there was nothing on the following trails he wasn’t capable of without a little help, but had I remembered there being this much of it, and had I known we’d be on the trail this late in the day at 100 degree temps, I’d have omitted it from the route.

From the beginning of the Coke Oven trail
DSCN2276.jpg

DSCN2278.jpg

DSCN2280.jpg

DSCN2281.jpg

DSCN2282.jpg

DSCN2284.jpg

DSCN2285.jpg

DSCN2286.jpg

John, then Scott on one of the climbs
DSCN2291.jpg

DSCN2293.jpg

Break time. That’s Scott laying down… early sign of what was to come…
DSCN2294.jpg

After some hard work getting Scott’s bike through the first third of the trail, we found ourselves in serious need of a shade, water and food break. After the extended break we continued to make our way to the coke ovens, until I, after sitting at the top of a particularly long and technical hill for some time, realized that there might be an issue, and I didn’t hear motors. I made my way back down the trail on foot to find John and Scott struggling with Scott’s bike. After a few failed attempts to get the KLR up the hill, we decided it was time for a break, as we were all experiencing heat exhaustion and serious fatigue.

While sitting in the weak shade of a palo verde tree, a jeep convoy appears over a hill. We wait as they approach, and I ask the lead jeeper if he’d give the KLR a tow to the top. He agreed, and 2 of his comrades and I struggled to negotiate the bike over the ledges and rough terrain as the Jeep whined to the top of the hill. It was against my better judgment to help in my condition, but I felt like I needed to, which resulted in more extreme exhaustion once at the top. The female passenger in the lead jeep offered me a cold bottle of water, which I sucked down in seconds while I waited for Scott, who was getting an air conditioned ride up, to arrive. Scott sat in the Jeep for some time, and John was getting antsy to keep moving toward the nearby river. John decided to move on (I thought to the coke ovens), and we would meet up once Scott was ready.

Scott and I finally got rolling and arrived at the ovens, only to discover that John was nowhere to be found. This could be a very bad thing; with the countless trails out here, one wrong turn could lead to one seriously lost rider. We opted to stay put, as from a hill, we and the ovens are easily seen, and if we go looking for John while he finds the ovens without us waiting there… well I’m sure you can see the problem.

While Scott and I are resting in the shade, I keep hearing 4-stroke single sounds. Eventually we both look up to see John at the top of a hill, and overwhelmed with relief. He made his was down and around, and after a rest we decided to skip the Battle Axe trail and headed to a water crossing that I once did to see if it was fordable.

Scott resting at the Coke Ovens
_DSC3147.jpg

_DSC3146.jpg

Approaching the river Bottom
DSCN2296.jpg

We arrived at the crossing to find a muddy, swollen river. Some quad riders were sitting on the other side drinking beer when I rode up and dismounted. Scott and John arrived shortly behind and I guess they figured out that we were contemplating crossing, because one of the guys hopped on his big 4WD quad and plunged into the river to show off his quad-squiding skills (or lack of common sense). He struggled each way, and on his second return-crossing he lost momentum and bogged due to his excessive tire-spinning. The right-rear tire began to dig as the strong current began to lift the front of the quad, sending him bailing off to save the fat-tired cycle. Scott and I chuckled as we struggled to stand in the knee-deep side of our bank.

We opted to turn around and ride the Battle axe trail out. We knew there was a long, steep, technical decent that John had already negotiated, so we headed down, and met at a point near the river where we decided to camp instead, as it was getting late. So much for globe by noon :roll:.

DSCN2297.jpg

DSCN2299.jpg

The camp at the river
DSCN2311.jpg

DSCN2312.jpg

DSCN2314.jpg

John with his purifier pump. That thing was a lifesaver.
DSCN2313.jpg

Beyond exhausted, I hit the tent pretty early. I felt too bad to eat that night, but managed force myself to eat a little of John’s barbeque stroganoff out of a cup, as well as a few bites of jerky and cheddar cheese.

Last edited:
Spectacular views, can't wait to see all the pics and video's. Glad y'all made it back.:popcorn:

Hardships just make for "ugh" better memories.That looks spectacular so far guys.

I love the pictures. Too bad I haven't seen these places since I live 100 miles south!

Yeah, the bullets...

Here's a few pics from my end. Big pics so click on the pictures for full size and zoom in for the details.

The hotel the night before riding, working off the 18hr drive fatigue.

Packing up in the AM

Entering the desert from the highway, notice the sign to our right....

Ahh finally in the dirt... and lots of it. :) And a warning about fuzzy cacti that jump out and grab ya choyas or something. Doesn't that look sweet? Go ahead, click on the pic and zoom in and take a real close look. :dude:

Trails every which way...

Finally into an awesome box canyon.

Where Scott goes rock climbing..

Beautiful place, but it was gettin a bit hot and the riding reminded me of the rougher sections of Red River park in Muenster in the dead of summer, miles and miles of it.

After a good bit of riding and a pretty technical descent we took a break and cooled off a bit, and met a big group of folks on 4x4 ATV's who passed by as we rested, and took a break of their own 30 feet down the trail.

After that things got tougher. We did a fair bit of rough riding and finally on a very steep rocky climb with some decent ledges Scott dropped it, we were all tired, hot and out of water. I got Scotts bike up but I couldn't ride it up the climb over the shelf in front of it with the tall gearing, tryin it a couple of times took everything out of me that I had left. Some nice Jeepers came by and helped us out and towed Scott's bike up and I rode mine up behind em.

Scott wasn't feeling well at all, I was thinking this was getting a little dangerous with no water(we started out with about 10 liters) and if they hadn't come by I would have had to go fill up our camelbacks at the river and bring em back up and camp right there on the hill by Scott's bike till morning. Yeah it was that hot and hard.

I wanted to get to water asap, so once all was well at the top and Scott was hydrating in an air conditioned Jeep, I went for the river by the straightest path down I could see. Came to a fork and flipped a coin in my head. :) A long steep drop switching back and forth down to the river and I was rewarded with a nice cold river full of rather muddy and fast moving water.

After a while at the river getting wet and cool and refreshed it was apparent that Scott and Casey took the other fork to the other ford that was on the GPS. After a bit of searching for a path that went that way and didn't include a steep loose half mile climb(and failing), then realizing I couldn't use the GPS to backtrack as I had forgotten to turn on tracking, I tracked back up the climb and found them down the other fork. Not any pictures from that part.

So we check out the Coke ovens for a while, and head down to the ford over some nice flat loose dirt and some sandy track. We all cooled off in the river and refilled the camelbacks with the pump and decided it was too deep and fast to ford. So back up the climb again and back down the steep half mile to where I went in the first place. :) So I get a little extra riding in.

The terraflex I found does 2 things very well... going up steep rocky climbs and going down them, grabbing rock like a mountain goat. I found those are really the only things it does well at all...

Anyway, A shot from somewhere going back over to the battleax trail with dark closing in, it had cooled off a lot and after the long rivr soak while we pumped fresh water we were all well past danger of overheating if still feeling some after effects. What a beautiful place. Zoom in on this one. :zen:

Or the panorama version...Big 180 degree Panorama You can see the green swath below that is the river if you zoom it up to full size.

Home sweet home for the night, a dip in the Gila river, cooked up a hot meal on the svea stove, and off to sleep. My clutch forearm was feeling like rubber, been off the hard dirt too long I guess, and a bit sore from hard days ride. A nice tough day. Globe by noon fades into the realm of best laid plans of mice and men.

Last edited:
Note: I seem to be having problems with photobucket; besides the dark photos, some images are only showing as links... just remember, they need love too :-P

Monday, 5/21
I think we have a problem… and I go out on my own…

I awoke feeling much better. We’d ride out the remaining portion of the Battle Axe trail, which I had remembered being an easy ride, a friend and I actually finding our way through once by accident while looking for an additional river crossing.

It turns out it wasn’t so simple, as there appeared to be other possibilities, and I didn’t remember the long, uber-steep climb that we ran into. Scott simply wasn’t feeling up to it, and none of us wanted to get to far into this portion of the trail only to find that it wasn’t actually the way out. We decided that the best thing to do was camp back at the river again and wait until morning, when John and I would do some gear-free recon riding while Scott continued to recover.

The dreaded cholla. If you ever see one of these, avoid it… hug a saguaro or prickly pear, whatever, but don’t even get close to a cholla!
DSCN2315.jpg

DSCN2315.jpg

More from Battle Axe
DSCN2316.jpg

DSCN2317.jpg

DSCN2318.jpg

DSCN2319.jpg

Battleaxepano.jpg

Back at the camp we waded in the river while discussing our predicament. I noticed that the square bank on our side of the river would be at just about the same height as the tailgate of my friend Drew’s giant (heavily modified) M715 military Jeep. As long as the river wasn’t moving too swift for the 6700 lb behemoth, he could back it into the river via the beach on the other side, load the bikes and gear, and drive out. Heh, that would be pretty cool, if we could contact him, and if he wasn‘t in Mexico.

While hanging out, waiting for the day to pass, we started to hear what sounded like a motor on the other side. While waiting for the “motor noise” to manifest itself, we discussed what we would do when it did. I said I would ask for a ride somewhere that I could make some calls, particularly to my friend Dan, to get a ride back to town and get the Battle Axe directions I had left in the truck, and to mine and Scott’s wives, to let them know we were okay even though they hadn’t heard from us in a while. My plan for Dan was to get him to take me back to the river camp, carry our gear across the river to his Ranger 4X4, then make his way around to the other end of the Battle Axe trail, while we rode out on gear-free bikes.

The sounds teased us for what seemed like an hour. Then, to our delight, a silver jeep emerged from the woods, and we got their attention.

I waded across the river with some clothes and other necessary items in a trash bag and climbed into my new friends’ Jeep TJ. The ride to Florence went by quickly, and they dropped me off at McDonald’s where I enjoyed a double cheeseburger and numerous cups of Coke and Powerade while waiting over 6 hours for a ride out.

I couldn’t get hold of Dan, but Drew returned my message and said he was on his way back from Mexico, and he would come out to get me when he gets home. He finally arrived around 8 PM, and once we got back to his house and picked up Pat we all went to eat at Manuel’s Mexican Food. While driving I mentioned my idea for his truck, to which he responded with one problem: it doesn’t currently have a front drive shaft… he has 3 though, and one might be the right length for a fit to his new doubled transfer case. Hmm… Dan called shortly after and was up for my other plan, so I decided to push that route. Dan said he’d call me at 10 am Tuesday after he dropped a visiting friend off at the airport.

Tuesday, 5/22
It just might work...

I slept horribly that night. I got about 5 hours of broken sleep before my eyes opened and the strategies for the day began running through my head. I laid there on Drew's floor for hours before I finally knocked on his door a little before 9 AM. He was slow to get moving, but we finally moved into the garage to attempt to get the front drive operational. After some measuring on the truck and the 3 shafts he had in the garage, we had a shaft… a good thing too, because Dan called to tell me that they found out his friend's flight was at 2 PM. Back to the big-truck plan. By the time we had everything loaded and ready to go, it was about 2PM. We hit the highway with the big tires hummin’.

We arrived at the river where Scott and John had to be happy to see the monster military Jeep rumble down to the beach.

First, plan 'A'. Drew reluctantly plunged his pride-and-joy project truck tail-first into the murky, swift flowing water. Into the deep center of the river, then up the shallower side to drop the tailgate on the bank, where the gear and two of the bikes were ready waiting to board. While loading the gear Drew hollered out that the front was sinking, and about that time the radiator fan sank into the river, spraying water out through the fenders. The current was sweeping the loose river bottom from under the big tires, and we picked up our pace. Drew pulled out with the current and the modified 460 sang its way across the river. I couldn’t believe my original daydreamed ‘plan A’ worked, but it did, like a charm. Once the bikes and gear were across the river, we all headed the back way (beautiful ride by the way) to Superior for food and a Motel.

Video: Our ferry ride in the Kaiser Jeep

The water in the middle of the river was well over waist deep - over seat height. You need to see a picture of the truck next to someone to get sense of scale for it's size, but note the rear bumper was under water in the middle of the river; the bumper comes up to my stomach when standing next to it. The spot where we backed the truck up to at the bank was shallower than the rest of the river.

Spirited conversation at dinner
DSCN2321.jpg

Los Hermano’s = good food
DSCN2323.jpg

After an excellent dinner we said our seeya’s to Drew and his friend (also Drew) and hit the hay at local dump of a motel.

The dive motel
DSCN2325.jpg

John’s new Terraflex wasn’t fairing well
DSCN2328.jpg

Last edited:
Holy cow, it looks like you all went through ****. I was hoping you were way high in the 7-9000 feet range, but it looks like you were right at 3000 feet. It must have been hot! Great story.

For everyone who doesn't realize how big that jeep was. It can fit 37" tires under it stock, no modifications. It comes with a D60 front and a D70 rear. Big truck.

Holy cow, it looks like you all went through ****. I was hoping you were way high in the 7-9000 feet range, but it looks like you were right at 3000 feet. It must have been hot! Great story.
That area was at about 2000'+, mostly well under 3k though. It did get hot... Most of the trip was at between 4-7000'.

For everyone who doesn't realize how big that jeep was. It can fit 37" tires under it stock, no modifications. It comes with a D60 front and a D70 rear. Big truck.

Yea, it's a definitely a beast, and the suspension and most of the drive isn't stock. The current tires are 11.00-16 Michelin XZL Military Radials, which measure about 39".
http://homepage.mac.com/m715/rigs/PhotoAlbum67.html
http://homepage.mac.com/m715/rigs/PhotoAlbum20.html
There's more on that page, although it doesn't cover 1/2 of the mods.

Last edited:
Sunday, 5/20
The fun begins…

Morning came and the sun began to rise, along with John. That's good enough for me, so I got up too. The morning was cool, and we loaded our bikes. I went and made an attempt to get Scott up, but that didn't work too well :lol2:

Scott eventually rose, and we got a later start than I had hoped.

:tab What Casey fails to mention is that I specifically asked what time we needed to be ready to roll. I dutifully set my alarm only to have someone beating on the door TWO hours early because they forgot about the time zone change :nana: Even at that, I was still up earlier than what we had agreed on the night before and was ready to roll within about ten minutes of getting up. This was to set the trend for the rest of the week :doh: I finally gave up on asking what time we needed to be ready to roll :roll: :lol2:

:tab What Casey fails to mention is that I specifically asked what time we needed to be ready to roll. I dutifully set my alarm only to have someone beating on the door TWO hours early because they forgot about the time zone change :nana: Even at that, I was still up earlier than what we had agreed on the night before and was ready to roll within about ten minutes of getting up. This was to set the trend for the rest of the week :doh: I finally gave up on asking what time we needed to be ready to roll :roll: :lol2:

Actually I had originally intended to roll at daybreak (about 5am AZ time) I banged on the door at 6AM AZ time, which was what I had originally intended (I soon came to realize that I was actually confused the night before, not that morning). I think Scott purposefully confused me the night before so that he could sleep longer :lol2: Even getting up at 6 AZ time, I still had 7 hours of sleep...

Last edited:
Taking forever to get the pics uploaded...

Heh forum name change mid post... :)

Ok second day.. Again click on the pic for the large 8 megapixel version.

Woke up with the dawn sore pretty much everywhere, the good aching sore from a good days workout, I really should have warmed up a couple weekends at Red River before the trip, and the left forearm still a bit rubbery and cooked up a double portion of oatmeal and some coffee and then Casey and Scott got up so we packed up and got ready to ride out battleaxe trail, provided we can find it as the map for it is back in Mesa in the truck. :) Pumped the camelbacks full for about 3 liters each.

We rode up a trail and stayed on the one that looked like it had the most and the most recent traffic, after several miles we ended up looking up at a very steep climb up into a saddle that looked to me like it might be a couple hundred feet. Scott and I already had picked up his bike once this morning, and the GPS didn't show this road as even existing, but it did show some other roads that went out to the highway back down closer to the river.

So back down we go, to chase other trails, which after much chasing we took a deep sandy wash that went toward the river just to eliminate the possibility of any roads heading out that direction as we would have to cross them.

Well no roads did, just one small and unused looking trail that appeared it could peter out in 100 feet.

At some point we went back up to the steep climb again, that part is a little fuzzy.

Anyway by this time it was after 12:00, peak heat of the day, water half gone. My outlook was to avoid what happened yesterday with a down KLR on a steep incline with heat exhaustion and no water and being even farther from the river, and maybe on a dead end trail we didn't know where it went. Sounded like a recipe for trouble to me, the kind that can kill a fella if it goes bad enough.

So I suggested we just go back and camp, cool down, and hit it again at the crack of dawn, or at least at about 4-5 when the heat was falling off with full water. All agreed and that's what we did. No need to do anything that could get dangerous, we had enough food for a few days and all the water we needed at the river.

About the time we got water refilled and Casey and Scott were cooling off in the river, a jeep comes down on the other bank looking for a ford over to our side, and Casey grabs a ride to town to find out if a) the trail we were looking at went anywhere, b) if he could get a truck to ford us over the river.

By this time gas was beginning to be a real concern.

I guess I didn't take any pictures that day out riding, my camera apparently ate enough dust it was making real loud noise when the lens moved in and out. I decided to minimize pics for now.

A shot looking down into the old ford we were camped by, the river bank shots and where the truck backed up to are right down there.

Me and Scott's camp for the night.

What two days of rock crawling and a high hp thumper does to a Terraflex...

So having brought a week worth of food to cook, I set up the svea stove and made some grub for me and Scott, and we kicked back and took it easy that afternoon. A modded Jeep cherokee came by on our side of the river and we talked to the guy, which convinced us 90+% that that climb we balked at was in fact the way out, and the last tough obstacle on it followed by 7-8 miles of more trail.

So we ate and slept well, or at least I did. Around dark we started hearing some alarming sounds... Remember that sign at the desert entrance in my last post?...

All the sudden the sounds we heard down river became more clear, helicopters. Then around dark we start hearing what sounded to me like .30 cal machine gun fire, LOTS of it, thousands of rounds. :eek2:

I took a little stock... I'm prone in a low sandy spot, 50+ft tall solid rock wall 25ft to one side, 20ft tall sand bank 200ft the other way, I'm pretty safe and I sacked out after listening to it for an hour or so and slept like a baby most of the night, Scott can fill ya in on the night he had. :)

So morning comes, more hot oatmeal and coffee, refill the water bags, and sit around trying to fill time waiting for Casey. Some military Helos fly over and Scott makes a small attempt to flag em down with no success. We were fantasizing about having them pick the bikes up and drop em across the river and be waiting there for Casey.

The day passed, we loafed, ate, loafed, thought about what frying up some of the local reptiles might be like (I might have if I'd grabbed the two foot lizard I saw that morning) and decided if Casey didn't show up by dark we would cross the river and hike ten miles down the RR tracks that ran parallel with the river to the next little town and call him and see what was what.

Well right as it got late into the afternoon here comes this behemoth truck on the other side, with tires as tall as my bike, woot! was worth this just to see that truck and watch it in action.

No pics from me of it, I was busy riding all three bikes down through the washed out sandy ford to the bank and loading them all up, as I was the only one with boots and riding pants on. I did grab caseys vid cam and shoot some video though.

Nice truck I must say. Ohh and Casey then whips out the map that shows exactly where we were and where the climb out was.

So we get across the river in about the coolest truck ever, eventually get moving, meet some fine members of the U.K. military having their own party, and ride 18 miles of mixed dirt/silt/gravel to a little town, where I told Drew and Drew that dinner was definitely on me at place of their choosing. We grabbed rooms at a little fleabag, and down to the mexican restaurant we went. Major good vittles, and we ate a lot of it.

Back to the hotel with the little window AC that was louder than my bike, and another night of good sleep on a full stomach. I guess it was about this time we discovered Scotts rack bolts had been sheared in half, and we need some non trivial repair, like a drill and a bolt extractor, and some higher grade replacement bolts... But that goes into the next day.....

It was a very nice little camping spot on the river, I really enjoyed it there. I'll remember it for a long time. And we did need the day break as the next day the arms and legs were no longer sore and good as new.

Last edited:
Great stuff. Can't wait to see what's next.

Dang, you guy's should have shot some more video clips and we could have put you all on that Survivor man show.

Back