• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Going throught Del Rio to Big Bend...Is it Safe?

Reaction score
Ok, so i have never been to big bend and My husband offered t take me. The only issue is that he is very uncomfortable going through Del Rio. My Question is... Is it Safe? or Should We Skip it and go further north?

I do not know about safety, but it is faster to take I-10, if you are riding then, it is is certainly not fun on I-10.

I would not be concerned taking Hwy 90.

Ok, so i have never been to big bend and My husband offered t take me. The only issue is that he is very uncomfortable going through Del Rio. My Question is... Is it Safe? or Should We Skip it and go further north?

I prefer 90. It's somewhat slower, but there is more to see if you feel the need to stop. There is far better fuel availability. Other than the lack of decent food, there is no reason to avoid Del Rio. I don't know about today, but several years ago the HEB merchandised for cross border buyers and it was a hoot!

Go via Del Rio and cross into Mexico and have lunch at Lando's

It's on the main drag about 5 blocks down

Then back on 90 and out to BB via Marathon

There is a bypass around Del Rio now to where you do not even have to go into town.

I have been through Del Rio a hundred times on a bike and have spent many of nights there and never had any problems or issues.

Went through there 2 months ago on my way to Ft. Davis/Marfa/Presidio and then down river road and over through Big Bend. No problems at all in Del Rio other than a female in a BMW SUV talking on her cell phone making a left turn in front of me and never responded to me honking the horn at her.
If you are coming into Del Rio from Rock Springs, you can either take the new loop or go into town but will be on the west edge of the city and have very little traffic. I like taking hwy 90 - less stress and always fun to stop in Langtry and get a new Texas map.

Last week I went to Big Bend via 90/Del Rio and been doing that route for decades with never a problem and gas is pretty cheap there. Want a good breakfast there eat at Julio's on 90 close to the Air base, its the same Julio's that makes chips that are sold at local grocery stores. In the restaurant there are autographed photos of celebrities and I asked do they eat here and they said no but when they have a party they order chips from us. Absolutely nothing to fear in DL, spent many a night in local motels and bike never messed with. How did you hear its not safe, being a military town lots of good folks there...........I've never heard of problems.

Last week I went to Big Bend via 90/Del Rio and been doing that route for decades with never a problem and gas is pretty cheap there. Want a good breakfast there eat at Julio's on 90 close to the Air base, its the same Julio's that makes chips that are sold at local grocery stores. In the restaurant there are autographed photos of celebrities and I asked do they eat here and they said no but when they have a party they order chips from us. Absolutely nothing to fear in DL, spent many a night in local motels and bike never messed with. How did you hear its not safe, being a military town lots of good folks there...........I've never heard of problems.

My wonderful, over-thinking husband read all the articles about the Cartel vs. Military violence in Acuna and started watching border patrol after work so now he is a little concerned!:doh:
I told him that I would post here to get some feedback. It seems to be making him feel better about the whole thing.

My wonderful, over-thinking husband read all the articles about the Cartel vs. Military violence in Acuna and started watching border patrol after work so now he is a little concerned!:doh:
I told him that I would post here to get some feedback. It seems to be making him feel better about the whole thing.

There was news about gun battles between Mex police and car jackers/gangs very close to the border, and some woman on the US side a mile away got shot by a stray bullet. A bullet can travel very far. So, anything can happen. But this was a couple years ago. Haven't noticed any news lately.

I was last in Del Rio about a year and a half ago, but it's generally safe, especially if you're going up towards Big Bend. My biggest concern is the road has a lot of traffic from the Eagle Ford Shale drilling work, and those guys drive like lunatics, so aside from that and properly planning gas stops (There ain't much for a while once you cross Lake Amistad), you'll be fine.

I'm assuming you'll be going by way of 90 from Uvalde, and not 270 from Eagle Pass? Either way, the roads are a bit beat up going in to Del Rio so be prepared for a bumpy ride, as an aside.

And you could stop at the Julios Chips factory on 90 if you want them at their freshest.

I would not hesitate to take 90. I've never seen/heard anything to make me worry about safety. I-10 is faster, especially if you want to ride/drive 80mph+. It has more options for food/fuel/lodging, but 90 has enough services to get you there & back quite easily.

90 is more scenic and less stressful than fighting the 18 wheelers on I-10. As for the drilling traffic, there is more traffic on 90 the further east you go, but I think always less than I-10.

If you are looking for food in Uvalde, try El Herradero de Jalisco. Their homemade corn tortillas are delicious, and I don't even like corn tortillas.

Del Rio is as safe as any other place in Texas. I agree with Thricepilot. A tour through Acuna is always nice. I do it regularly. And always take Hwy 90. It beats I-10 every time.

It's nice to ride across the lake and Pecos and stop at Langtree but seeing them so many times, I prefer running 10 to Sheffield cutting south the catch RR2400 down to Sanderson for something different now and then.

If you don't plan on Acuna, I second the 79 bypass around Del Rio, crazy drivers in that town.:eek2:

There is an Exxon before you get to the lake that is a good fuel/pit stop.

Go via Del Rio and cross into Mexico and have lunch at Lando's

It's on the main drag about 5 blocks down

Then back on 90 and out to BB via Marathon

Absolutely. And don't forget to stop in Langtry. I go to Big Bend monthly. Going down through the Hill Country is longer but a very pleasant drive. A lot safer than driving in Austin.

is it safe? yeah, if you go IH 10 the trucks will cause havoc. i been both ways numerous times and prefer hwy 90 thru del rio.
there are no bullets flying, or shoot outs happening.

Thank you all for you input! I have convinced my husband that it is indeed okay to drive through. Now that he knows that there is a bypass too, his stress level (and by extension mine) are much lower.

Go through Acuna and take Carro Presa de la amistad around the lake and you'll cross the border on top of a big dam. Pretty cool drive

Now that he knows that there is a bypass too, his stress level... much lower...

Please Don't!

I'm a vote for Don't Use the Del Rio Bypass. You can lower a stress level by visiting some Texas history while in town.

The Val Verde Winery is the oldest operating winery in Texas and a great lunch stop nearby, Memo's, is also an historic stop-sign.

http://www.memosrestaurant.com/home.html

http://www.valverdewinery.com/

I have no connection to these places, I just feel stopping to take it all in is one of the very reasons we travel by motorcycle. :sun:

Attachments

• Del R 1 (406x640).jpg
    Del R 1 (406x640).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 315
  • Del R 5b (480x640).jpg
    Del R 5b (480x640).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 328
  • Del R 3 (640x480).jpg
    Del R 3 (640x480).jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 327
  • Del R 4b (640x480).jpg
    Del R 4b (640x480).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 325
  • Val Verde Winery (600x800).jpg
    Val Verde Winery (600x800).jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 312
are you going by car/truck or motorcycle? what is your intent? ride hwy, offroad??
a couple of the " MILD HOGS", myself included, will be riding the "outback" in the park along with other places. planning on arriving April 14th-22th??
we will be staying at B Js rv campground in Terlingua if you are interested in a bit of adventure. we have a real rocket scientist guiding. (retired nasa propulsion
engineer) come join us.

is it safe? yeah, if you go IH 10 the trucks will cause havoc. i been both ways numerous times and prefer hwy 90 thru del rio.
there are no bullets flying, or shoot outs happening.

I'll side with Desert Skies regarding I10, Sheffield and 2400. I've done the I10 thing numerous times and trucks have never been a problem (there aren't that many of them anyway). But if you prefer to go through Del Rio, that shouldn't be a problem.

I might well be wrong (usually am) but I had the feeling from the start that this thread was a TROLL. As I said, I could be wrong.

I drive big trucks and a couple months ago had a LTL run from Laredo, US83 to Carrizo Springs, then US277 to Del Rio, then US90 to Van Horn, with a bunch of stops along the way. Nice 3 day trip since some consignees were only open 8 hours a day and not a one had a loading dock. Met lots of good people along the way, and I'm not a people person.

I might well be wrong (usually am) but I had the feeling from the start that this thread was a TROLL. As I said, I could be wrong.

If I were the OP I would defend myself [emoji15]

Signatures ???? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

we have been thru there all 3 times we have been to big bend. no problems
Our issue is to get gas just before going over the lake as it is about 110 miles for the next gas station and our v-maxes go into reserve at about that. Don't even think of passing judge roy beans place in langtry.
90 is Soooooo much more peacefull and scenic ride/drive. and stop at the lookout going over the river.
Michael

Back