• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Going up through western Colorado

05RSMVTEXAN

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Scott
Me & a buddy are going to meet in Raton, N.M. and travel to Durango, Gunnison, Georgetown, Idaho Springs, Colorado Springs, and then I'm heading home to Wichita Falls, Texas through Pueblo, Amarillo, etc. We have this trip planned to take about 8 days and to take our time. We will be going toward the end of June. Does anyone know of any "must-stop" places we need to eat at? I hear Colorado is lean on Mexican food.

Crested Butte. "The Secret Stash" Awesome little place with some really good pizza. The owners have traveled all over the world and have put up photos of their travels. It's definitely a gem and worth checking out. Only 30 minutes from Gunnison.

http://www.thesecretstash.com/

Also, stop in and have a drink at "The Talk of the Town" as a family member owns it. ;-)

Poker Alice's in Lake City. I have taken large groups there on several occasions and it has always been very popular. Prices are good too. Besides, to get there from either the North or South (paved), you have to do a fantastic ride!! If you prefer DS riding, then the ways in are even better!! :flip:

We stopped at one of the money exhanging businesses in Cripple Creek and found a really good Chicago Style Pizza place. I don't remember the name of it but it was located about half way down the main street up above the one-armed bandits and toilet (I mean crap) tables. While we were there we went down in the Mollie Kathleen Gold Mine for an interesting tour.

Me & a buddy are going to meet in Raton, N.M. and travel to Durango, Gunnison, Georgetown, Idaho Springs, Colorado Springs, and then I'm heading home to Wichita Falls, Texas through Pueblo, Amarillo, etc. We have this trip planned to take about 8 days and to take our time. We will be going toward the end of June. Does anyone know of any "must-stop" places we need to eat at? I hear Colorado is lean on Mexican food.

If you go thru Salida, Colorado on your trip on highway 50...on the East side of town on hwy 50 there is a jam-up knock-you-down Mexican place that is super-good. I dont remember the name but it is on the North Side of the road. We ate there last year on our run and we just had the appitizer supreme that has a little bit of everything. I felt like a big tick when we left.

Another place in Salida, if you dont' want Mexican, is a brew pub called Amica's. It's one block east of the main road going down town. Food is brick oven italian. Pizza's, calzone, awesome fresh salads. The brew is pretty good too.

I just was at Amica's Sunday evening. It really is top notch. Their large salads would feed a small country.

In Crested Butte, the LoBar has world class sushi, and Crested Butte is such a wonderful place to spend some time.

Salida has a very good Mexican Restaurant called Fiesta Mexicana owned by brothers who treat you very well.

The MeGusta is also in Salida and the locals call it gourmet Mexican and worth every cent.

I almost forgot about St. Elmo. We spent a day in the area along Chalk Creek hiking and exploring. Interesting area but I can't remember any place to eat.

Me and my wife hope to be leaving either june 13 or june 20th going to Colarado for a week, so we will make note of these places to go.

Back