• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gold Wing vs R 1250 GSA

Gold Wing or R 1250 GSA for long street miles

• Total voters
Of course for me the problem with both bikes new, they're expensive. I have to be a one bike show for sure.

Mike Kneebone, president of the Iron Butt Assoc said if you don’t want to worry about breakdowns during the rally…get a Goldwing.

I have had 3 Goldwings, pre 2018. 2006, 2008 and 2010 about 350k miles total.

the GSA is a fantastic bike. A friend of mine bought a prepaid maintenance package for $1800. The wings never spent a day in a service department.

the downside is they are wide. I had helibars on all my wings, a backrest and mick o pegs. I could stand up going through small towns but not past 50 mph.

the GSA allows you to stand going 80 mph. Being able to stand is the key for me on long distance riding. Whichever bike you choose will be a good choice because you will make it fit you.

the GSA advantage is the 8 gallon gas tank. My friends on the 2018+ Goldwing get about 225 miles to the tank.

Apple car play and DCT is a big deal for me, so the wing has those.

On rough roads, the GSA will be an advantage with longer suspension.

the wing foot pegs are about 3 inches more forward than the GSA.

I just finished a 2700 mile week Long tour on my Twin and couldn’t have been more comfortable with the way I have it set up for me. many say the same thing on both the GSA and the Wing.

the wing became a boring appliance for me.

Last edited:
Mike Kneebone, president of the Iron Butt Assoc said if you don’t want to worry about breakdowns during the rally…get a Goldwing.

the GSA is a fantastic bike. A friend of mine bought a prepaid maintenance package for $1800. The wings never spent a day in a service department.

the downside is they are wide. I had helibars on all my wings, a backrest and mick o pegs. I could stand up going through small towns but not past 50 mph.

the GSA allows you to stand going 80 mph. Being able to stand is the key for me on long distance riding. Whichever bike you choose will be a good choice because you will make it fit you.

the GSA advantage is the 8 gallon gas tank. My friends on the 2018+ get about 225 miles to the tank.

I just finished a 2700 mile week Long tour on my Twin and couldn’t have been more comfortable with the way I have it set up for me. many say the same thing on both the GSA and the Wing.

Did you mean 325 miles per tank on the GSA?

2018+ wings only get 225 miles per tank.

I had a K1600 GT that I thought would be a good touring option, turned out the GSA was much better for me so I switched back to a R1250 GSA and haven't looked back. I can ride all day without any pain or discomfort. GSA is worth trying. I swapped out the windsreen for the vstream touring model, added some Rox Risers and a Wunderlich seat, everything else is stock as far as ergos go. The factory bars work as foot rests for me when I need to stretch.
Have you had any issues with your GSA?

None beyond the recall for the front brakes which was performed in one day by San Jose BMW. They replaced both front calipers & added a rear system flush at no cost.

I had the seat rebuilt by Rick Butler in Dallas, aside from that, a GPS mount and power line for my Garmin GPSMap 276 (personal preference over the BMW Nav) and an ebay special headlight protector it's completely stock. Luggage is Mosko-Moto panniers with a Givi lockable top box.

PXL_20210714_195256185.jpg

I just spent a week with friends who toured Bavaria a couple of years back on a rental K16. Gail has never much enjoyed being on bikes. But her comment about the K16: "It was like riding on a sofa."

I know some of you don't have a strong opinion one way or the other but could you vote anyway? I'm curious what the final tally will be!
I have put 100K+ miles on my 2002 Goldwing with maybe half of that two-up. I see no reason to ride anything else as it suits my needs well. It carves corners to the best of my ability and it will pound out the Iron Butt miles without complaint. Full Traxxion suspension which does help, Windbender windshield which also helps, highway pegs that allow me to stretch out my legs as needed, huge carrying capacity, strong amperage capacity for my farkles and heated gear and aux lighting.

I think one can surmise from the variety of opinions that a long haul rig is a very personal choice.

We each have unique needs based upon a laundry list of personal quirks. As I now venture well into my 60s, the quirks are evolving.

Any platform can be comfortable and long distance tolerable ... but it takes a bank roll to make it happen.

If I recall correctly, the frame recall was 01-04. With a 17-20 year old bike I'm not sure it would be worth changing out the frames. Other items would start showing up for replacement. . .Hoses, switches etc. Would depend on how the bike was maintained and loved.

If you don't mind having a manual transmission, instead of the DCT there are probably left over 2019's and 2020's that can be had for a healthy discount. I bought my 2018 tour manual in Oct of 2020. Brand new, new warranty. . . The msrp was around $25,999. I paid $19,999.
The 2021 are a little different though. Larger trunk, fog lights are standard, and upgraded passenger grab rails. I think the seat is a little different too. The fog lights and passenger grab rails are easy to upgrade. The larger trunk is not. It will not fit pre 2021 models

It had the BMW brakes that were replaced with Brembos under recall. The BMW/Hayes calipers were replaced by the dealer before I purchased it and never leaked but they got replaced under recall anyway. The rear shock failed inside the first 800 miles, also replaced under warranty. No other issues.

the GSA advantage is the 8 gallon gas tank. My friends on the 2018+ Goldwing get about 225 miles to the tank.

Would you have the same opinion if your wife was still riding with you?

If I recall correctly, the frame recall was 01-04. With a 17-20 year old bike I'm not sure it would be worth changing out the frames. Other items would start showing up for replacement. . .Hoses, switches etc. Would depend on how the bike was maintained and loved.

Your assumption is valid if the motorcycle had been poorly maintained.
There are an abundance of owners who meticulously maintain their vehicles. Those owners are the ones to search for.

I have miles on all gen wings except the 2021 . BMW is nice but reliability / parts cost / dealer prices are high .
Went Tiger 1200 left over new @ 14,899 vs 21, xxx . Currently 10,xxx miles in 10 months . easy to service , and reliable . Except the KEY FOB ! Triumph still working on a fix , but the Two keys work fine so its okay by me . the GSA / Tiger offer less weight , good wind protection , better mpg than the Wing . One can go down a fire road if desired with little worry . Tire changes on the BMW / Tiger are much easier than the wing with more options avaible .
Good luck :) Random photos for reference , I use Tune ECU app to reset service light , change oil / Flush ABS system / brakes . All easy stuff . Fuel tank to air filter you do on low fuel lvl , but its not hard and has a drain if needed . Nothing like a Goldwing air filter change .
thumbnail (1).jpg

Bike alone rdl seat.jpg

20210606_120341.jpg

20210918_131854.jpg

20210605_181206.jpg

20210830_174722.jpg

20210830_180900.jpg

20210829_160443.jpg

Also the BMW / Tiger do not have better wind protection than a Wing , but very good . Just to clarify my statements above .

Back