• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gone - Vintage Stereo Eqp

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Shelfer
Up for grabs is some old stereo equipment of different vintages.

Sherwood stereo receiver - Circa 1974. This little 10-watt amp still puts out amazing, warm, analog sound and more volume than you'd expect for its size. It's old, the volume knob crackles a bit and needs to be cleaned up. Wood veneer is missing from the top. But it plays surprisingly well. It got me through the Army and early marriage, then went to college with my daughter. As I write this, I'm listening to Bryan Adams and it sounds great!

Optimus graphic equalizer - Circa early 90s. Stereo, 10 bands, master volume control. Radio Shack actually made some of the best stereo equipment, and their equalizers were a bargain. This one is a REAL bargain, since it's free.

RCA 5-disk CD changer - Circa early 90s. I didn't plug it in. It probably works.

Edit:
RCA mini-stereo amp - Circa 2000? Probably about 2 watts. Will drive a pair of bookshelf speakers.

We're moving later this spring, and I don't want to haul this stuff to a new house. Come and get it. Local only, please; it's not worth the time & price of shipping to either you or me.

Attachments

• 20200113_122836.jpg
    20200113_122836.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 208
  • 20200113_122851.jpg
    20200113_122851.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 204
  • 20200113_124109.jpg
    20200113_124109.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Have any speakers?

Actually, I have a pair of 15" Fishers that have been up in the attic for 15 years or so. I can't attest to their condition at this point, but they're probably ok. If you want to come up to Arlington & claim this stuff, I'll help you drag the Fishers down. Otherwise, this stuff goes to CL this weekend; somebody will pay $25 for it.

I do miss crackling volume controls, stretched tuning strings and matchbook 8-track fixes.
And of course quadraphonic. I recall making my first "cellular" call in about 1980 or so and having to go through a mobile phone operator.

Oh to be 18 again and own every Percy Sledge album ever recorded ...
Blue73Torino_1200.jpg

Tim ... do you think the paper cone is still intact?

Last edited:
I had one of those equalizers. I really liked it. I think my brother ended up with it. IIRC, it also gives more input channels to your system.
I wouldn't mind having it but the distance is a bit much.

I do miss crackling volume controls, stretched tuning strings and matchbook 8-track fixes.
And of course quadraphonic. I recall making my first "cellular" call in about 1980 or so and having to go through a mobile phone operator.

View attachment 252308

Hey it's Clint E......no that's Mitch!

Mitch, you’re showing your age! But your photo hasn’t changed much...
Speaker cones might be ok but the foam surrounds are probably crispy. Used to be a guy on Montgomery in Fort Worth that had all the stuff to rebuild them, Tobe I think, but he was old when I met him - might have retired by now...

I wonder how many readers had to google Percy Sledge?

Tim its a kind offer, priced very reasonable and very tempting.
But, after thinking about the results stemming from Mr. Sledge in quadraphonia, I had better pass.

Hey Tim, since Mitch backed out, I’ll take all that stuff off your hands, speakers and all. I probably still have some stereo stuff in my attic that is older than yours, so I’ll add to the collection. Who knows, I might even wire it all up and make a helluva garage stereo out if it!
Then I can make Mitch regret his bad decision!!!
When are you available? I’m retired and have a pretty flexible schedule except for a few doctor appointments... and the odd dinner date.

You've got a deal, Dave. And you've also earned the honor of helping me get the speakers out of the attic. I have no idea how I got them up there in the first place, except that I'm pretty sure I wasn't 68 then.

I'm also retired & flexible. Saturday afternoon would probably work. Otherwise, we can work out a time maybe on Monday.

You've got a deal, Dave. And you've also earned the honor of helping me get the speakers out of the attic. I have no idea how I got them up there in the first place, except that I'm pretty sure I wasn't 68 then.

I'm also retired & flexible. Saturday afternoon would probably work. Otherwise, we can work out a time maybe on Monday.
Monday sounds good, I’ll PM you.

Back