• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gopro

I've watched alot of go pro footage of mx and offroad guys. I prefer watching helmet mount over chest mount.

A few guys run it under the visor

I like the helmet mount but I also angle the camera down so that you can see about an inch of my visor. It gives it a nice perspective. Otherwise, it is a camera floating along...

They make a tether for the camera if that is a concern. I also use my Hero 7 on the mountain bike helmet. I smacked a tree limb with the camera last week, and it stayed on. The camera must be pretty tough because it was not harmed at all.

I am working on an updated video of my ride from Katy along the Brazos to Bellivelle now that I settled on a video editing software. I added music to drown out the wind noise but looking into copy-write information before uploading it to Youtube.
What software? Is it free?

I tried about four different free software packages and beat my head against this for weeks. They just did not work out for me because they were either far to simple or far too complicated. I know my way around a computer alright and have dabbled in editing in my life (but not much), so had a basic idea of what I wanted the software to do but zero experience actually doing this. I needed software that did not take a computer scientist or a master's degree in video editing to use. It had to toe the line between being far too simple and not capable enough, but not overly complicated and tedious to use with a thousand features I would not use.

I settled on Filmora9 and after weeks of soul searching, went ahead and purchased it for $60. Here is a Youtube video for beginners that shows the basics of what the software can do and how to do it. I created riding video about 20 minutes long from about 75 minutes of raw video, spliced it together, separated the wind noise sound, added titles and such, and overlaid music tracks with the video. It took me 3-4 hours to create my first video. What is great is you can really mess things up and it does not ruin the project...just undo back to before you destroyed your work (I did that several times).

It does take some time but is so intuitive that you catch on quickly. It also has an export feature to create all kinds of formats of video, even 4k, and a feature that conditions it for uploading to Youtube if you have a channel. Or you can dumb it down for smaller file sizes, etc...

I tried about four different free software packages and beat my head against this for weeks. They just did not work out for me because they were either far to simple or far too complicated. I know my way around a computer alright and have dabbled in editing in my life (but not much), so had a basic idea of what I wanted the software to do but zero experience actually doing this. I needed software that did not take a computer scientist or a master's degree in video editing to use. It had to toe the line between being far too simple and not capable enough, but not overly complicated and tedious to use with a thousand features I would not use.

I settled on Filmora9 and after weeks of soul searching, went ahead and purchased it for $60. Here is a Youtube video for beginners that shows the basics of what the software can do and how to do it. I created riding video about 20 minutes long from about 75 minutes of raw video, spliced it together, separated the wind noise sound, added titles and such, and overlaid music tracks with the video. It took me 3-4 hours to create my first video. What is great is you can really mess things up and it does not ruin the project...just undo back to before you destroyed your work (I did that several times).

It does take some time but is so intuitive that you catch on quickly. It also has an export feature to create all kinds of formats of video, even 4k, and a feature that conditions it for uploading to Youtube if you have a channel. Or you can dumb it down for smaller file sizes, etc...

awesome. I'll look into it. Not sure how crazy with editing I'll get yet.

Under my aux light mount...

Hero Session 4 - audio is terrible if it's not protected from the wind slamming against the sound 'tube' to the microphone.

Mostly do time lapse stuff for these long rides I do. The only way to tell a two-day long ride story in under ten minutes:

Under my aux light mount...

Hero Session 4 - audio is terrible if it's not protected from the wind slamming against the sound 'tube' to the microphone.

Mostly do time lapse stuff for these long rides I do. The only way to tell a two-day long ride story in under ten minutes:

Apparently the wind noise is alot better on new models, atleast that's my understanding

It's still bad on my Hero 7, however, I did recently find a "wind" setting I have not tried yet under the pro settings you can get to with computer or phone software.

It's still bad on my Hero 7, however, I did recently find a "wind" setting I have not tried yet under the pro settings you can get to with computer or phone software.
I've already downloaded the phone app

This is what stops me from video. I'm not going to edit it and nobody wants to see the whole thing, especially me. I have one of the cheap knock off cameras and it has not made 1s of video in 2yrs. I much prefer still pics. In ride reports I almost never watch videos, just a personal thing. I am interested in the still mode of a Go-Pro so I could have it helmet mounted and take still shots where I look.

The GoPro 8 has a LiveBurst that might be of interest.

...a quick update on my Hero 7 Black...some tips and such.
  • On my 128g memory card, I can get a solid 5 hours or more of HD video.
  • The battery only lasts about 70 minutes, so assume you need to swap the battery once an hour of constant filming.
  • If you watched my video above, the wind noise is terrible. I found a setting on the camera under the pro section for wind, but have not tried it out yet.
  • The videos take up a ton of hard drive space in their native format, and that is before you get to editing and adding music or labels, etc... Luckily, memory is not expensive anymore, and I picked up a 8 tb external hard drive on Amazon for a reasonable price.
  • Video editing software: I have tried 4 different free software package ranging from way too simple to way too complicated, and I was getting frustrated. I now believe I have settled on Wondershare Filmora 9. It is very intuitive for someone with no experience but also appears to be quite powerful. I am playing with the free copy, and it does everything I am asking for with a simple interface. The program costs some greenbacks for the full version, but from what I am seeing so far, it is probably worth it.
  • The image stabilization is really good on the camera.
  • The camera has a bluetooth interface with a smart phone and an app. You can see what the camera sees real time, change settings, etc... all on the fly.
So far, I am very happy with the camera, and there is so much to learn.

For editing, I use PowerDirector on my Samsung phone. Free version add's watermark, and many of the bells are not available. $4.99 monthly fee for the whole nine yards. Transferring files from my camera to phone takes a cable. And there's still a storage issue. PowerDirector uploads directly to YouTube, or a cloud storage. Editing videos on my phone's screen leaves a small work space. but I manage.

I would like to see GoPro give more control over the image stabilization, more then just on/off. A friend and I road a nice rocky road with dry water crossings. His 7 took all the shake out. I felt the stabilization took away from the reality of the ride.

Samuel just a quick hint on helmet mount and single track, you need to remember its up there on low hanging branches, my neck was for about an hour when mine got
hooked on a branch I had been under multiple times before mounting my go pro on top of my helmet. Man that 3M tape holding it to the helmet worked good about
pulled me off the bike

the guys behind me enjoyed the show so I guess that is all that mattered

Samuel just a quick hint on helmet mount and single track, you need to remember its up there on low hanging branches, my neck was for about an hour when mine got
hooked on a branch I had been under multiple times before mounting my go pro on top of my helmet. Man that 3M tape holding it to the helmet worked good about
pulled me off the bike

the guys behind me enjoyed the show so I guess that is all that mattered
I've thought about that

I use the session under the visor but the thing doesn't last long. My favorite is this with the Hero 7. 245825
Dango Gripper Mount. Jarvis usually mounts 2 sessions under the visor.

I used this for a while but it didn't fit my Leatt helmet well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 10.13.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 10.13.50 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 312
I use the session under the visor but the thing doesn't last long. My favorite is this with the Hero 7.
Dango Gripper Mount. Jarvis usually mounts 2 sessions under the visor.

I've made the same thing but using Sugru to mount one of the bases on the chin bar of my helmet. Has worked pretty well but I don't use it very often. The neck strain from the wind isn't insignificant during head checks. I zip tie the little lanyard to the chin bar because I still don't trust the Sugru.

Here is my first real attempt on making a video (part 1 and 2). This is about 25 minutes cut down from about 75 minutes of footage. This is a ride from Katy to Bellville along the Brazos River.

The music is not great as I was running into copy write issues, so it is generic electronic. I have not had the time to dig up something different. Also, when my software uploaded it to Youtube, I realized later that I did not have the quality on high so it is a bit fuzzy. Anyway, live and learn. This weekend, I hope to have the time to change out the music and replace them with higher quality videos. It will take a good 2 hours per video to render and upload.

so..... whats up with blocking the sidewalk by sticking the bikes there at the lucky stop?

I stayed with them, it was for about 5 minutes tops and we moved to the shade behind the building...sheesh...

Aside from the grip mount WFO shared above, what other ways are y'all mounting GoPros to yourself or your bike?

What's your favorite mounting position?

Aside from the grip mount WFO shared above, what other ways are y'all mounting GoPros to yourself or your bike?

What's your favorite mounting position?
Top of helmet

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have a mount on the side and the top of my helmet but where I usually ride the camera would be knocked off in 10 min. The higher the better if you want good video. They make a bar mount too which I quickly broke off when my chest protector and I hit the bars. Lost the camera too. (its somewhere at Barnwell Mountain) A lot of people drill a small hole in the mouthpiece vent and mount to that.

I have a mount on the side and the top of my helmet but where I usually ride the camera would be knocked off in 10 min. The higher the better if you want good video. They make a bar mount too which I quickly broke off when my chest protector and I hit the bars. Lost the camera too. (its somewhere at Barnwell Mountain) A lot of people drill a small hole in the mouthpiece vent and mount to that.
I just duck! In most of my videos you can hear it hit branches

Top of helmet

I am thinking of putting a mount on my helmet (Shuberth C3 Pro), not certain of where exactly but helmet field of view isn't bad.

I currently have a ram ball on the top of my crash bars that puts the camera at the height of the head lights. Not a bad angle but is rather boring.

OFF the bike or rider, on a tripod.
There is way too much 'helmet cam' footage on YouTube already.

This.. I agree. Not going to be practical to have a drone follow me as I run the Tail of the Dragon in a few days.

I have thought of making a pole of sorts to put the gopro high and behind me. Maybe coming off the top box mount/box lid???

Back