• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I will never pay Garmin again for anything. Lousy firmware and software, expensive, not integrated with anything. I don't know about iPhones but my Samsung is ruggedized and tough. I have dropped it dozens of times (in its case) and it keeps working fine and without cracks. After spending too much on unreliable Garmin units, I am very happy with my Galaxy S7 both on road and off road

Last edited:
I have been a Garmin user for about 20years. I have had my share of frustration with their hardware, firmware and software. They have always helped me with the issues, several times I had to escalate my issue to get resolution.

There Is something about the interface of their products that works for me. I have used handhelds, auto, marine, and aviation units and for the most part intuitively can use them. I did struggle with basecamp at first creating tracks but, worked through that with some help. I don’t like how maps work between basecamp and the units. I have tried a couple apps on my phone and struggled to get them to work. I have been reading on here about using some different maps. I have also been reading on advrider about phone options. To be honest I don’t know where I’ll go next. I may get a used phone and make it a dedicated GPS just to see if I can figure out all the file manipulation and make it work. I would likely run it side by side with my Garmin just to compare.

The s6 edge I'm using is bomb proof and waterproof...

My S5 Sport has been bar mounted for 4 years. Ridden in rain, 120° heat, single track, etc. all w/o issue. My plastic connector port cover did break off so now it's only waterproof if I keep it plugged into power.

_

Does anyone have much experience with the updated Harley ride planning? I think they have an ap now? I wonder if you can save your routes online and pull them up on the ap...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have much experience with the updated Harley ride planning? I think they have an ap now? I wonder if you can save your routes online and pull them up on the ap...?
Sure, sure, but it'll insert stops at every dealer along the way... :)

For me, it isn't the software/firmware/hardware comparison, it is what I know and what I will have to learn. I don't want to invest a lot of time in learning a completely new system of developing, storing, uploading, modifying and using maps, only to find out it has the same or other limitations as the system I am currently using (Garmin). I am as frustrated as anyone that Garmin develops systems that don't even work together (Basecamp/Zumo), but my limited experience with other systems (Google/Android, a couple of windows apps) is they have their own limitations.

My Windows phone allowed me to download maps for offline use as large as the SD card could hold, but had only a few klugy apps that worked with it. My Android/Google phone asks me for a "box" that is only about ten miles square to download for offline use. It doesn't take long to use that up.

I also found that because of the volume of Garmin devices in the market other entities such as OSM develops interfaces to work with Garmin. That's a big plus.

Finally, I am not sure I trust my electronics to attempt a single point of failure. With a phone doing everything, should it fail, get lost or stolen, everything is gone. Mapping, Phone, Text, email, etc. I guess I could carry a second phone, but then why not carry a GPS. Until something comes along, and takes the consumer market by storm, I am pretty much a stuck in the mud, complaining about Garmin's overall system approach.

There's no perfect answer to your question. Personally, I use a GPS - a Garmin Nuvi. You'll find advantages/disadvantages either way. I just got back from a long wanderfest across some desolate parts of west Texas, NM, and AZ. I had both my Garmin and my Galaxy phone (Google Maps open) on my handlebar. Every time I lost cell service, I got a popup message warning me. Yeah, the map still worked, but that stupid message was blocking it. And since Galaxy phones aren't touch sensitive through gloves, I couldn't clear the message without stopping the bike and removing a glove. Also, if something happened while you were out in the middle of nowhere and you had to start a new map, even a preloaded one, my understanding is it wouldn't work because the phone wouldn't be able to figure out your starting place - somebody else will have to comment on whether this is accurate.

Also, if you're prone to occasionally searching out something while riding - i.e. wanting to poke a button to see where the next gas station is - the Garmin is the way to go. Even though they're made for cars, Nuvis work quite well with motorcycle gloves on.

And frankly, if I were going to be in REAL back country - away from roads, I'd trust neither a Nuvi nor a phone. I'd have my trusty old Garmin 76CSX backpacker GPS with me, with topo maps of the entire western United States loaded on. Heck, when you're on a bike, you can always find room for an appliance that size in a bag somewhere, and the weight is inconsequential - a few ounces.

Ultimately, we can only tell you what works best for each of us. Now you get to go experiment and find out what's best for you.

Another vote for iphone app. I use Gaia GPS (~$20) and MAP Plus (free). The free app MAP Plus works great. Create a route on desktop using Google maps, email the kmz file to your phone, open with app, download enough of the “map” to cover your route, done. Easy.

Scenic is really looking very promising and basically free.. I have downloaded Texas and all surrounding state maps for free.. Now, exploring Furkot for trip planning.. This software seems very easy so far to create trip..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been traveling but when I get back I'm going to start exploring some of these options.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I found out last weekend that I didn't want my phone exposed to the numerous rain showers . I use android osmand for the .gpx tracks. Works well, when i can keep the usb plugged into the phone. May try a 90 degree usb plug with some tape nextime.

Learned the exact same thing last Friday. 316 miles in the rain with my Note5 exposed and plugged into USB. It shut down a couple of times. It spawned random apps. Now the USB charging port is fidgety after all the vibrations. Might have to get a new phone soon. I ordered a Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S this morning.

if you can handle the price tag, of course, its the gold standard....congratulations. :thumb:
but with that awesome a.t. you have, why choose anything else.

Last edited:
Low voltage signals are subject to galvanic corrosion. Unless your USB/charging plug is sealed and watertight, very likely going to be an issue somewhere down the road.

I doubt a single test run is really going to tell you everything you need to know to make your decision. I think you'll find that most of us who are hardened in our personal positions are there after having spent long days on the road, finding out what works and what doesn't. Before you lock yourself in one way or the other, you might plan at least a weekend trip with both devices on your handlebar - and with a self-declared rule that whatever you do, you do with both devices. Be sure to dial in some time outside of phone range so that you can see if that's going to bother you or not.

I'm not sure about the Zumo plug setup, so can't comment on that; I'll have to take your word for it. But if you can lay your hands on a Garmin Nuvi - there are a million models out there - you can attach it to your handlebar via any generic phone mount, and it will plug in via standard mini-USB. Nuvis definitely aren't as robust as Zumos, but then neither is your I- or Galaxy-phone. They're plenty tough, easily handled through a glove, and can be bought cheaply. If you drop a Nuvi on concrete, it'll die. But it'll survive most everything else, including rainstorms simply by slipping a baggie over it. You can buy an older model brand new from EBay for $100 or so and get a few years practical use out of it.

The zumo wiring harnesses are a pain but all you need to do is tap it into a switched source and that will prevent any battery drain.

The wiring harness on my 590 was ridiculous in terms of cable size and cost. So many additional wires that I had no use for. So I gutted the wiring harness to supply power only and dramatically shortened the cable length. I put an SAE connector on the end. Now I can move the same cradle from bike to bike in seconds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back