• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GPS red alert!

Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Hogan
heads up folks, if you have a crusty old GPS you like it may become a paper weight.
my tom tom rider 400 was good but my garmin nuvi 2639lmt had a update as well as my zumo 220

"The GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO) occurs every 19 years, with the next rollover taking place on April 6, 2019. Similar to odometers in older cars rolling over from 99,999 miles to 0 miles, the GPS WNRO is the resetting of the GPS calendar back to 0.

When the calendar resets, it can cause a miscommunication between GPS satellites and GPS receiver chips. As a result, some chips in navigation devices will lose the ability to process certain functions.

What does this mean for you? It's time to check your navigation device. Depending on your device, you may need to update or upgrade. "

Garmin would like for you to buy a new device every year , I figured out along time ago they are not the kind of people I like to deal with , I do not like the throw away world , I like for my things to be built to last , that is becoming harder and harder to find now days , probly why me and all my toys are old .

Garmin would like for you to buy a new device every year , I figured out along time ago they are not the kind of people I like to deal with , I do not like the throw away world , I like for my things to be built to last , that is becoming harder and harder to find now days , probly why me and all my toys are old .
the warning alert e-mail I received came from Tom Tom I had to manually check Garmin to find the update.

The only update/warning I found on the Garmin site was for aviation specific units.
If you found something different, a link would be great.

The only update/warning I found on the Garmin site was for aviation specific units.
If you found something different, a link would be great.
check for a software update.
the warning I got was from TomTom (they care about their customers) they sent a E-mail with a link to a web page you enter your serial number in and it lets you know if your unit is good or needs updating. my rider 400 is only a couple years old and is good to go
this was in the Garmin support "We are testing Garmin GPS products to determine their performance through the upcoming 2019 GPS Week rollover in April. Tests so far show that the vast majority of Garmin GPS products handle the event without issue. If any products fail testing, we will investigate resolution options. "

Garmin had issues the last time the calendar rolled over.

If we could just switch to the Mayan calendar we'd be good for a LONG time :-P

This sounds like the y2k bug :lol2:
If we could just switch to the Mayan calendar we'd be good for a LONG time :-P
Or ...
1955_houston_humble_highres.jpg

That is an OLD map! It doesn't even have the 610 loop or any of the Interstates!

Early 60s , Humble oil gas station map because all their pump stations are on it , friends lived on Yale street between Tidwell and Little York and 75 took their property in the late 50s . Their house was right about where Parker road crosses now , the water well just south of Parker rd was built when we used to visit . We lived in a house at Tidwell and Yale that was torn down a couple years ago , that place was old in the 50s , I can’t beleave it stayed there that long . That map was before interstates were invented .

I have a Tom Tom 400 but don't recall getting an email. I'll plug it in today let it update. I had a Zumo for years but decided to try the Tom Tom and love it. Probably won't go back to Garmin.

I have a Tom Tom 400 but don't recall getting an email. I'll plug it in today let it update. I had a Zumo for years but decided to try the Tom Tom and love it. Probably won't go back to Garmin.

Amen brother!!
I am happy with my Tom Tom, much simpler for me to plot custom routes and upload to the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When the world was getting ready to move from 1999 to 2000 many legacy computer systems only had two digit years because when those systems were created, every little bit (pardon the pun) of software space you could save was worth it. Thus, there was a lot of concern about what was going to happen when the time changed from 23:59 12/31/99 to 00:00 01/01/00.

Y2K = the year 2000

Reactions: Vec
When the world was getting ready to move from 1999 to 2000 many legacy computer systems only had two digit years because when those systems were created, every little bit (pardon the pun) of software space you could save was worth it. Thus, there was a lot of concern about what was going to happen when the time changed from 23:59 12/31/99 to 00:00 01/01/00.

Y2K = the year 2000
I see what you did there.... lol

Cool map. It shows San Felipe dead ending at post oak rd. I lived there back then and remember that. We had a cool riding area there and another one off Westimer we called the Chimney!

I figured you Houstonians would appriciate it. I love all that "back in the day" stuff

Reactions: Vec

Y2K = the year 2000

I asked one of the old big iron guys in our IT shack what he planned to do for Y2K and he replied that if HP/MPE couldn't get their act together in time, he would simple reset the date to 1972, code the reports to show a year of 00 and move on.

At the same time we had a nut case purchasing director who took all his money out of the bank and buried it as if having cash was going to be useful if the Western World collapsed. People are nothing if not entertaining.

m

Is Tom Tom still in business? I was looking at some the other day, and there didn't seem to be many out there. I got the impression they might have been swallowed up by another company (not Garmin or Magellan).

If there ever was fake news, Y2K was it. A real phenomenon, but we were already working on it when I entered IT in 1980. The most tedious problems were actually reconciling large amounts of stored data, some with older 2-digit dates and others with newer 4-digit dates. That was a pain.

But if there ever was fake news, it was the scare tactics ABC - particularly Sam Donelson - used to panic people into thinking their water would shut off and their automatic transmissions would lock up. The net effect was of doing a hard job you had to do anyway, but now doing it while an idiot with a microphone leaned over you shoulder and "helped" you.

Is Tom Tom still in business? I was looking at some the other day, and there didn't seem to be many out there. I got the impression they might have been swallowed up by another company (not Garmin or Magellan).

If there ever was fake news, Y2K was it. A real phenomenon, but we were already working on it when I entered IT in 1980. The most tedious problems were actually reconciling large amounts of stored data, some with older 2-digit dates and others with newer 4-digit dates. That was a pain.

But if there ever was fake news, it was the scare tactics ABC - particularly Sam Donelson - used to panic people into thinking their water would shut off and their automatic transmissions would lock up. The net effect was of doing a hard job you had to do anyway, but now doing it while an idiot with a microphone leaned over you shoulder and "helped" you.
And even though we probably have more people with an education more than ever , the rate at which people will follow the lambs is amazing.
Evening news is a great place to sell Pharmaceuticals and that's about all it's worth.

Reactions: Lar
Back