• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Great Another Hobby/Addiction!

Reaction score
It all started last fall...
About this time every year I like to clean up our bird feeders and start feeding the birds in fall and winter. After a few days I noticed this little guy at my feeder, thinking to myself WOW never seen this bird before I wonder what type it is? In my beginners wisdom I jumped on Amazon and ordered my first birding book. Birds of Texas field guide by Stan Tekiela. Not realizing at that time, Cornell lab already has an app called Merlin! LOL!
My book arrived the very next day, boy I love amazon prime! Within moments I have identified my first Life List Find!

Eastern Bluebird ( Please keep in mind... this is my first real birding photo. These pics are raw. )
DSCN0128.JPG

That's it, I was hooked!

I really enjoy riding, always enjoyed camping even as a young man many years ago. Last year I rode over 15,000 on my Honda NC 750X while out motorcycle camping.
4469759864529839875.jpg

So hear I am now thinking... How in the world am I going to explain to my wife about my new combined love? LOL!
BABBY STEPS!

1st. I'm a novice in birding/photography.
2nd. My budget cannot support a $1500 cam frame with a $6,000 tele zoom.

So after several weeks of YouTube I finally felt good about purchasing my first low end cam to start. Remember the last cam I owned was a Cannon rebel X 35 mm film. LOL! 1996
After several choices I was thinking I had it narrowed down to a Cannon XS70 bridge cam. Well... No luck! after Christmas and chip shortage/shipping issues or what ever it was... Really hard to find anything that you could go and put your hands on. Sure Amazon maybe but I wanted to look first. Finally I was able to grab a Nikon Coolpix B600 with 60X optical zoom. Yes I know it's a bridge with no manual mode but for 329.00 don't mind getting it for a starter. There is so much to learn all at once while birding. Yes birding is what I'm planning to do while motorcycle camping. Not bird photography, but bird documentation. For now I'm more interested in zoom than manual. LOL maybe later when this passion catches fire in a full blaze I'll go out and drop a months salary on a cam. But for now this Nikon B600 will do fine.

Hopefully I am blessed with the opportunity to go out motorcycle camping while birding with any one of you here that's willing to put up with me! LOL
I'm really excited to see this group TWT involved in more than just motorcycles. It's good to see others out here who also have more than 1, 2, 3, 4... LOL! Hobbies!

Hope you all enjoy my first 9 life finds!

Until next time!
Keep the fire going and the beer cold I'll be in soon!
Gator.

Please feel free to correct me if my ID is wrong.

Tufted Titmouse.
DSCN0126.JPG

Northern Cardinal.
DSCN0270.JPG

House Finch. Really loves the meal worms and seed.
DSCN0123.JPG

Dark-eyed Junco.
DSCN0210.JPG

House Sparrow female.
DSCN0301.JPG

My Favorite! Carolina Wren.
DSCN0325.JPG

Of course the cause of it all! LOL. Eastern Bluebird.
DSCN0128.JPG

Carolina Chickadee.
DSCN0132.JPG

Chickadee's are fun to watch. They grab one seed at a time then fly to a close branch. Then with his short stubby bill he hammers open the seed getting to the meat.
DSCN0160.JPG

Last pic is not a bird of course. No it's Mr. squirrel AKA tree rat!
DSCN0131.JPG

Me playing around with the Macro setting. Moss on our fence panel.
DSCN0141.JPG

This last shot is a mystery to me. Maybe someone can help me on this one? Looks like some type of a nest. We have seen it across the street each fall when the leaves drop.
DSCN0140.JPG

Nice pics!

If you haven't found this thread... check it out.

Back in NC. A wild tom that was harassing my domesticated tom behind the fence.
1641875101712.png

1641875257919.png

Looks like you are off to a great start. A lot of my images are of birds. If you want to head down the rabbit hole further, my instagram is @rustymyersphoto. Also, a friend of Scott (m38a1) and I does a Wednesday evening Zoom call where she gets a photographer to talk about some aspect of photography, quite often birds. There is some open discussion at the beginning and end too. https://lindanickell.com and look in the Happiness Hour pull down.

Merlin Bird id is great, but if it has problems, I use the iNaturalist app. That does id on everything from fungi to fish. Plus when you submit your finding, people smarter than us will provide a better answer.

Great write up; thanks for sharing.
I love your enthusiasm and joy! 👍🏼
I too enjoy my backyard birds. I would be interested in joining you for any ride+birding adventures if you ever want company.
Enjoy! Lots of different kinds of birds out there!

. I would be interested in joining you for any ride+birding adventures if you ever want company.
I'm off for spring break week of the 14th of March. Researching now for a place to go motorcycle camping and enjoy birding without all the spring break crowds.

It all started last fall...
About this time every year I like to clean up our bird feeders and start feeding the birds in fall and winter. After a few days I noticed this little guy at my feeder, thinking to myself WOW never seen this bird before I wonder what type it is? In my beginners wisdom I jumped on Amazon and ordered my first birding book. Birds of Texas field guide by Stan Tekiela. Not realizing at that time, Cornell lab already has an app called Merlin! LOL!
My book arrived the very next day, boy I love amazon prime! Within moments I have identified my first Life List Find!

Eastern Bluebird ( Please keep in mind... this is my first real birding photo. These pics are raw. )
View attachment 311396
That's it, I was hooked!

I really enjoy riding, always enjoyed camping even as a young man many years ago. Last year I rode over 15,000 on my Honda NC 750X while out motorcycle camping. View attachment 311397

So hear I am now thinking... How in the world am I going to explain to my wife about my new combined love? LOL!
BABBY STEPS!

1st. I'm a novice in birding/photography.
2nd. My budget cannot support a $1500 cam frame with a $6,000 tele zoom.

So after several weeks of YouTube I finally felt good about purchasing my first low end cam to start. Remember the last cam I owned was a Cannon rebel X 35 mm film. LOL! 1996
After several choices I was thinking I had it narrowed down to a Cannon XS70 bridge cam. Well... No luck! after Christmas and chip shortage/shipping issues or what ever it was... Really hard to find anything that you could go and put your hands on. Sure Amazon maybe but I wanted to look first. Finally I was able to grab a Nikon Coolpix B600 with 60X optical zoom. Yes I know it's a bridge with no manual mode but for 329.00 don't mind getting it for a starter. There is so much to learn all at once while birding. Yes birding is what I'm planning to do while motorcycle camping. Not bird photography, but bird documentation. For now I'm more interested in zoom than manual. LOL maybe later when this passion catches fire in a full blaze I'll go out and drop a months salary on a cam. But for now this Nikon B600 will do fine.

Hopefully I am blessed with the opportunity to go out motorcycle camping while birding with any one of you here that's willing to put up with me! LOL
I'm really excited to see this group TWT involved in more than just motorcycles. It's good to see others out here who also have more than 1, 2, 3, 4... LOL! Hobbies!

Hope you all enjoy my first 9 life finds!

Until next time!
Keep the fire going and the beer cold I'll be in soon!
Gator.

Please feel free to correct me if my ID is wrong.

Tufted Titmouse.
View attachment 311398
Northern Cardinal.
View attachment 311399
House Finch. Really loves the meal worms and seed.
View attachment 311400
Dark-eyed Junco.
View attachment 311401
House Sparrow female.
View attachment 311402
My Favorite! Carolina Wren.
View attachment 311403
Of course the cause of it all! LOL. Eastern Bluebird.
View attachment 311404
Carolina Chickadee.
View attachment 311405
Chickadee's are fun to watch. They grab one seed at a time then fly to a close branch. Then with his short stubby bill he hammers open the seed getting to the meat.
View attachment 311406

Last pic is not a bird of course. No it's Mr. squirrel AKA tree rat!
View attachment 311407
Me playing around with the Macro setting. Moss on our fence panel.
View attachment 311408

This last shot is a mystery to me. Maybe someone can help me on this one? Looks like some type of a nest. We have seen it across the street each fall when the leaves drop.
View attachment 311409
Love the Bluebird, Chickadee and Wren pics. God's beauty! One of the reasons I love to ride. Last Fall I picked up a Honda nc750x & I was wondering your impressions. I was only able to ride it a few times before it got cold here. I occasionally do dirt/rock roads, but mainly pavement. My only concerns would be passing power/hills & filling up with luggage :( My other bike is a bandit 1250 so passing is a breeze & the power is immediate. Can't wait for riding season to start!

I was wondering your impressions. I was only able to ride it a few times before it got cold here. I occasionally do dirt/rock roads, but mainly pavement. My only concerns would be passing power/hills & filling up with luggage :(
I hang pretty good with the big boys, AT, and others. I have rode in groups and by myself all around South West Texas and Eastern Texas. My camping load is around 140 ish Lbs. With 1 gallon of extra fuel. Last trip we did the Southern 3rd of the T.E.A.T. (Tx Epic Adventure Trail) From Garner State Park we average about 85 mph on Hwy 90 West all the way to Big Bend. Yes once you get above 70 mph it does lag some, but once there it stays good. Ofcourse it's not a big bore but it keeps up. I love the low end tourq it has!
20211204_080329.jpg

20211124_154221.jpg

20211124_154211.jpg

20211121_114114.jpg

NC750X HANGING OUT WITH THE BIG BOYS! 😆

I’m an Austin resident and love Hill Country and SW Texas riding. last spring I rode down to Big Bend via rt 90. Wasn’t too aware of gas stations availability and found myself at dusk headed towards Sanderson running low on fuel I see a sign next fuel 85 ? miles……powered down to 48 mph in the cold darkness on Rt 90 with truckers blowing by me. I made it with fumes to spare. Wasn’t looking forward to running out in that remotenes.

I’m an Austin resident and love Hill Country and SW Texas riding. last spring I rode down to Big Bend via rt 90. Wasn’t too aware of gas stations availability and found myself at dusk headed towards Sanderson running low on fuel I see a sign next fuel 85 ? miles……powered down to 48 mph in the cold darkness on Rt 90 with truckers blowing by me. I made it with fumes to spare. Wasn’t looking forward to running out in that remotenes.
Been there but not as lucky as you! I ran out! 🤣 After that I always carry 1 gallon extra fuel.

Been there but not as lucky as you! I ran out! 🤣 After that I always carry 1 gallon extra fuel.
Curious as to what you use to carry it. I tried a couple of quart fuel bottles I can toss in a saddlebag or topcase.
Then I got a RotoPax 1 gal but it's unwieldy and their fancy schmanzy valve got buggered.
Years ago I saw a guy who had some sort of bladder system installed.

Screenshot_20220205-091808_Amazon Shopping.jpg
I mounted my pax under pannier.
After reading reviews first thing I changed was the *** nozzle! This is what I replaced it with. Love it! No issues other than operators errors. 😜 The O-ring must be in right position or it will leak. Look at O-Ring it has a slit in it for a reason.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220205-092009_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220205-092009_Chrome.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 107
Curious as to what you use to carry it. I tried a couple of quart fuel bottles I can toss in a saddlebag or topcase.
Then I got a RotoPax 1 gal but it's unwieldy and their fancy schmanzy valve got buggered.
Years ago I saw a guy who had some sort of bladder system installed.
Screenshot_20220205-093026_Amazon Shopping.jpg

This mount works good!

Back