• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Great Continental Divide Ride - South Section and back to Texas

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
I haven't posted much on here before. I work on computers and sometimes I really don't want to get on a computer and post crap on my free time. That said, I met a fellow TWT (humanrace) in the Guadalupe mountains at a camp grounds and he convinced me to post an after ride report. We did this ride just over a month ago so I apologize to anyone looking for current conditions. I came back from the trip and jumped right into work and have been editing videos..... hope you enjoy.

We did a south section of the GCDR from Del Norte, CO to the border and then back across Texas to Austin. I went through the GPS Kevin Tracks as well as the Big Dog tracks to set our route. If you have looked at the GPS Kevin tracks, we started on track 14 from Del norte, CO and headed south....

I don't do as much pictures, I run a helmet cam so I'll post what I have and then the video at the end for each day.

Day 1
We made it to Del norte in the pick up truck the night before. My wife was dropping us off and heading home from there. She has been pretty awesome, this isn't the first time she has done this.

We rolled out from Del Norte down track 14....

Attachments

• IMG_1418.jpg
    IMG_1418.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
This is the intended tracks for today. The track in red, we did not do, more on that later.....

Attachments

• Day1.jpg
    Day1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 437
I wish I remembered the names of the passes and took note but it was some beautiful country....

We passed through an old ghost town at the top of the first pass. There is still an operating mine up there. The temperature dropped from 72 degrees to 36!

Attachments

• IMG_1422.jpg
    IMG_1422.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_1427.jpg
    IMG_1427.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 432
We finished track 14 and started heading down track 15. we made it about 5 miles in when my riding partner (who lurks here, maybe he'll chime in) got a flat tire. Fun times where had....

Last edited:
We ended up bypassing track 15 and heading to Chama, NM in search of a tube. (spoiler, we didn't find one till El Paso and Slime ROCKS!!!!!!)

Day2

We headed out of Chama, we skipped track 15 & 16, the locals where telling us not to be stupid, it had been raining quite a bit and everything was snot. We ran highway down to Abiquia, gassed up and rolled to Cuba. From there we where really itching to get back in some dirt so we hit track 17 out of Cuba towards Grants.

I'm really glad we did, was probably the funnest day of riding out of the whole trip. Think we did over 300 miles this day but we had a blast in the desert sand and washes.....

Day2.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

Finally getting a quick moment to post some more....

Day 3 we headed out of Grants after making some repairs in a Walmart parking lot. Goal today was pietown and then about 40 miles down trail to a camp site......

Day3.jpg

Got a moment to post some more, seems a dead thread though so I'll wrap this up quick....

Day 4 From Camp to City of the Rocks, NM.
Day4.jpg

This is from Gudalupe National Forest to Big Lake where we crashed at my uncle's house and from there we rolled the usual Hill Country home...
Day6.jpg

I'm still here. Thanks for sharing your ride.

Same here, thanks for sharing the tracks. Do you plan to do it all at some point? Or have you done it before?

Same here, thanks for sharing the tracks. Do you plan to do it all at some point? Or have you done it before?
I'm not retired yet, some day I'll do the whole thing at once. Still need to complete the upper third from Canada to Wyoming. Last year we did the middle section starting in New Mexico and ending in Wyoming. I figure it would take about a month (including travel to the start point and back home) to do the whole thing at once.

Thanks for bringing us along. We did the Wyoming... Montana...to Canada route three years ago. So much of Wyoming is dirt road but extremely well kept. 70 mph is not crazy fast and you can end up at your overnight way before expected. There were days when we'd arrive about lunch and just head for the next section. Camping sites all over so flexibility wasn't an issue.

Back