• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Great news for racing old bikes

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Zuniga
From the Vintage Bike Racing Forum:

AHRMA Next Gen Superbike Rules Proposal

Submitted by: Mark Hatten

This is a proposal to create a class that would encompass a decade (1983-1992) of AMA-style Superbikes. This class will start where our current Superbike classes end (1982) and will include machines that were on the track during one of the most popular time periods of AMA Superbike racing. The goal of the class would be to bring new, relatively younger riders to AHRMA, while showcasing machines that are now 20 to 30 years old.

Only listed bikes would be allowed, which will save a lot of the “like-design” issues we’ve faced in the past.

Approved bikes

Bimota YB4, YB4IE
Buell RR1000/RR1200
Ducati 851/888
Honda VF700F, VF750F, VFR700F, VFR750F, RC30
Kawasaki GPz750 (83-87), ZX7/ZXR750/ZX750R/ZXR750RR (88-92)
Suzuki GSXR750/GSXR750R (85-92)
Yamaha FZ750/FZR750R/FZR750RR (85-91)

Basic Proposed Rules

Same as Vintage Superbike with the following exceptions:

1) Stock stroke required. 2 mm overbore allowed.
2) Bike must use carbs or fuel injection, as fitted OEM. Carbs may be replaced with any style/size carbs. Fuel injection may be modified.
3) Suspension components may be replaced with the same style/configuration parts. (ie: conventional-style forks may be replaced with any other conventional-style forks, “upside down” forks replaced with any other USD forks, etc.)
4) No restrictions on wheel size/style. Carbon fiber wheels not allowed.
5) Carbon rotors not allowed. “Wave” or “petal” rotors not allowed. Perimeter rotors (ie: Buell-style) not allowed. No other restrictions on the number, size, or style of rotors allowed.
6) Any size/style/construction of conventionally mounted caliper is allowed. No radial mount calipers allowed. No perimeter (ie: Buell-style) calipers allowed.
7) No restrictions on tires. Slicks, DOT, or rains may be used.
8) Tire warmers may be used.
9) OEM gauge panel and/or gauges are not required

Committee Vote: Yes, 3-0. This proposed class brings another decade of Superbikes to AHRMA. We’ve had requests for many years to add this period of bikes to AHRMA racing, but we feel this proposal is conservative in its reach, adding just one class and not multiple classes, and focusing on what were the “top dog” racebikes of that time period in the U.S. In addition, the rules proposal specifies exact makes, models, and years of eligible bikes, avoiding the ambiguity we often see under the “like design” clause.

This class has proven very popular with other vintage racing organizations

I really hate to say this as it is in my mind sacrilege,,, but my 1986 GSXR750 Limited is far to expensive and rare for this foolishness. On the other hand,,, I could easily and affordably build a track bike,,,,

SRAD

That is the sentiment of several that has been expressed as a concern for the new class. Anyway, it doesn't cost or hurt much to test the waters with a new class. We really need to bring in the younger crowd in significant numbers to keep the sport alive, or a big chunk of history will vanish.

Well considering what a used and abused 1st gen can be had for(heck there's an 1100 on here for $1800!) this will affordable racing and I for one am already making plans! I have enough spares and I am going to start shopping a used 750 frame,,,,,
SRAD

Years ago I went YSR-50 racing as a guest on a 12 hr Endurance team.:giveup:
After that little adventure I realized that there was actually an affordable venue where non sponsored less than filthy rich guys could race. The bikes were, then, affordable and durable. Performance parts were plentiful and dirt cheap. I never looked back at big bikes for more than a few moments at a time.
I can see this as opening a door to very affordable grassroots racing, something the common motorcyclist can afford to do and enjoy! With these bikes going regularly under the $4K mark and very few mods allowed this could really open the door for new members. Hmmmm let's see, where did I put those spare '86 rims?

SRAD

Heck, I built my '69 Triumph Bonneville 650 from spare parts and it served me quite well. Bulletproof, bone stock, beautiful. Took me to 5th overall in my rookie year, and I'm not as good as the average 16-year-old girl on a Ninja 250 (don't ask me how I know this).

Historic Production classes are an easy and cheap way to get into it.

381461213.jpg

(note high-tech touches including Betty Crocker cake/belly pan)

Back