• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Great Ride Sept 1-2nd in SHNF

itrack

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
We left Corpus around 5:30pm after several delays with slapping Jason's KX100 together, JZ running out of gas, and Bobby making a last minute run for 2t oil. I believe we finally made it to Stubblefield around midnight. The other group from Corpus was already there. We quickly set up camp and goofed around while a few others rolled in. Several of the street legal guys were itching to ride so we did a quick half loop in the dark from North of FS208 to South of FS215. It was pretty spooky leading the way for a couple of minutes then looking back and seeing no headlights as Kieran one of our noobs had laid his bike down and Bobby on his KDX200 was helping him up. Kieran had never ridden on dirt before so 6 crashes later we made it back to camp.

32.jpg

48.jpg

We woke up Saturday morning to angry crows and proceeded to unload all of the street legal bikes and load all the dirt bikes on one trailer. A few more guys showed up in the morning. We started at the trail head of FM1791 and rode the whole trail South of FS208.

47.jpg

46.jpg

43.jpg

22.jpg

Everyone was out of water so we headed back for lunch. You can see Bobby in the back ground of one of the pics making a quick repair to the KDX.

33.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

The park host at Stubblefield came over and gave us the do's and dont's, really nice guy. A few others rolled in around lunch time and we had a large pack ready for the North part of the loop at the FM1791 trail head.

41.jpg

40.jpg

39.jpg

38.jpg

37.jpg

30.jpg

24.jpg

After the North part of the loop we all went back to camp some took showers, ate dinner, more riding, hatched throwing, runs to Halletsville, etc. Everyone met up at dark and we had a nice fire and got silly but not crazy. Woke up in the morning to a crow that could say "do it" over and over again. We cooked 3lbs of bacon for breakfast...

27.jpg

We all talked it over and decided to ride the East side of the park before we came home.

25.jpg

42.jpg

34.jpg

29.jpg

28.jpg

31.jpg

We unloaded at the East trail head and made it to 1375 for a regroup and break. Park Ranger Justin pulled up and checked everyone for trail passes and stickers. Really nice guy and even gave us a huge bottle of COLD smart water.

26.jpg

Unfortunantly after talking to Nate on the WR250R he had caught a stump and sprained his foot or worse. I offered to ride with him back to camp. I also gave him my camelback because he was out of water. Brian on the KLX250S decided he was going back to Dallas and would ride back with Nate. So the rest of us took off to do the rest of the loop South of 1375. I was at the tail of the pack after waiting with JZ on the IT200 to change out his plug. We reached FS234 with the rest of the group and Bobby had just smacked a tree on Chucks RMZ. A little blood and a smashed Polisport LED later and we were off.

21.jpg

23.jpg

Kevin and I stayed back on our CRF230's to get out of the dust. Coming up to a log a little fast in second had me clear the log and over shoot a berm. My bike would not start after I picked it up. After about 30 minutes of trying Kevin left to go get help and I ran out of water. I sat there with no water for about 30 minutes when a CR250R and a WR400 pulled up, gave me a bottle of water, and chatted for a while. Once they left it was 2hrs until my buddies came and towed me out. I almost drank my sock sweat. After getting back to the truck we loaded up and headed to Outback where we all ate steak, veggies, and tons of water. Great weekend! I found out later Nate actually drank 4 liters from the East trail head to 1375. Bring tons of water!

36.jpg

20.jpg

Some how came back with more crap than we left with.

35.jpg

Re: Semi-permanent SHNF thread

Looks like y'all did the Balloon Loop. Were there any down trees blocking the trail?

Lots of trees every where. I think the only trail that had only small ones was that South loop off the West trail head.

Will have to go there soon .....real soon ! Maybe RG will take me ;)

Is Stubblefield campground the best area to camp if riding ?
Does it have showers ?

Thanks

I thought it was a great place to camp for riding.
On labor day weekend there were only two or three other groups camping there.
There is a shower and bathrooms.

We were about 5-7 miles from the north trail-head, and about 12-15 miles from the south trail-head. It worked perfectly for the guys that had street legal bikes.

I thought it was a great place to camp for riding.
On labor day weekend there were only two or three other groups camping there.
There is a shower and bathrooms.

We were about 5-7 miles from the north trail-head, and about 12-15 miles from the south trail-head. It worked perfectly for the guys that had street legal bikes.

Thanks

I think Kelly Pond is better because it's free primitive and no license plate require. Bring your own shower. Very close to trailhead. Toilet at trailhead. I think it's free. But I see hunters camp there during season. Might not feel safe at night.

It's currently closed, the last I checked.

Is Stubblefield campground the best area to camp if riding ?
Does it have showers ?

Thanks

I think it comes down to how bad do you want a shower after riding for 4-5hrs? Is your bike plated? If your plated and like showers than Stubblefield is the best spot. There really is no excuse for not plating bikes in Texas, super easy and makes trial riding soo much easier in places like SHNF.

The trouble is every year you have to buy insurance, pay the State registration fee, and get state inspection, which could be a big hassle if your inspector is anal.

Back