• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Greenwood Cemetery in Austin

je2000

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Lies just in front of runway 17R at KAUS. Open to the public? It looks unfenced on Google Maps.

Sure it's open.
Heading north on 183 you'll see the sign just before you'd exit for Ben White.
Oddly isolated considering where it is.
Often heavy equipment stored next to it.
Nice old cemetery.

Sure it's open.
Heading north on 183 you'll see the sign just before you'd exit for Ben White.
Oddly isolated considering where it is.
Often heavy equipment stored next to it.
Nice old cemetery.

Cool. That is exactly the spot I've been trying to locate to spot airliners landing. Perfect "Wayne's World" location! I used to have a handheld radio to listen to ATC, maybe I'll pick one up again.

Well I just had a nice talk with two of Texas' Finest at the cemetery. They said it's not open to the public. Granted a single guy on a bike looks way more suspicious at night than day. I pointed out that there were no signs and that the no trespassing signs referred to the area on the other side of the fence. I didn't want to push my luck and told them I'd keep my aircraft observing to the family viewing area on the other runway.

It was pretty cool while it lasted. I could even hear some of the wing tip vortices buzzzzing down almost a minute after the 737's landed. Cool stuff.

The area is probably technically "public" but as far as the airport police are concerned it's off limits to the public. If I was truly ballsy I would say I'm just paying my respects to my uncle. Something I would've done at age 19...not now though.

Back