• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Greetings from Middle Tennessee

Reaction score
First Name
John
Last Name
Bruce
I grew up in San Antonio, Southwest School district. My family is blessed that I was raised in Texas, because of the Tex-Mex I make for them. There's an Armadillo that has set up home under my my porch (seriously) as a reminder of Texas, but it's got to go. This is my 40th year riding motorcycles. I currently have a BMW 1150GS and a K1200GT. I found out about this site via a MexTrek ride in the "Rallies" section of ADVrider a couple of years ago and thought, MexTrek is something I want to do. We have some decent riding here in Middle Tennessee if your in the area and I'll throw in a free armadillo.

Welcome from stockdale

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Welcome from the Upstate of South Carolina, formerly of Katy/Richmond, TX (hence my connection with TWT) and FORMERLY of Murfreesboro / Cookeville, TN!
Grew up in M'boro, college in Cookeville then back a bit on in my little career for 11 yrs.

Ride well.

Welcome from the Southwest contingent. Take a look at http://www.motorcyclistcafe.com/forums It's a very tiny forum compared to TWT, but the owner is also a Texan and happens to live in Ducktown TN (for now, his place is up for sale) and he's the founder of San Jose BMW so you definitely have brands in common. Although the membership is tiny, the knowledge there is pretty large and several members like in your neck of the woods.

Hello from Kerrville !
I see you're an Airdale. I'm Avionics. Marine Corps CH-46.
Welcome from the Upstate of South Carolina, formerly of Katy/Richmond, TX (hence my connection with TWT) and FORMERLY of Murfreesboro / Cookeville, TN!
Grew up in M'boro, college in Cookeville then back a bit on in my little career for 11 yrs.

Ride well.

Ride well.
I live in Chapel Hill, in between M'boro and Columbia.

Welcome from the Southwest contingent. Take a look at http://www.motorcyclistcafe.com/forums It's a very tiny forum compared to TWT, but the owner is also a Texan and happens to live in Ducktown TN (for now, his place is up for sale) and he's the founder of San Jose BMW so you definitely have brands in common. Although the membership is tiny, the knowledge there is pretty large and several members like in your neck of the woods.

Great riding in the Ducktown area. Thanks for the heads up on the link.

How you doing John. I hope that you get your GS back together. I was disappointed for you about the breakdown. I plan on at least going again in 2020. I didn't get you contact info or I would have checked on you sooner.

I am well Jack. I hope that you and Mrs. Sands had a good Thanksgiving. The transmission oil had been drained in Mexico. I put in a quart of oil in it at the border to get me to Valdemar's house. I drained that oil today and dragged a magnet through it. Had a small sliver stick to the magnet. I'm inclined that the bearing on the input shaft has failed. There are fine, non-magnetic silver specks and black specks in the drained oil. I won't know the damage until I remove and open the transmission. At this point the bike is a money pit.

That being said, at least the bike didn't fail while driving through Houston. I appreciate you staying with me until the tow truck arrived. Quite a bit more happened after everyone left for Guanajuato. That's best left for another day.

I'll keep you posted,

JB

I am well Jack. I hope that you and Mrs. Sands had a good Thanksgiving. The transmission oil had been drained in Mexico. I put in a quart of oil in it at the border to get me to Valdemar's house. I drained that oil today and dragged a magnet through it. Had a small sliver stick to the magnet. I'm inclined that the bearing on the input shaft has failed. There are fine, non-magnetic silver specks and black specks in the drained oil. I won't know the damage until I remove and open the transmission. At this point the bike is a money pit.

That being said, at least the bike didn't fail while driving through Houston. I appreciate you staying with me until the tow truck arrived. Quite a bit more happened after everyone left for Guanajuato. That's best left for another day.

I'll keep you posted,

JB

I figured a bearing went south. Would it be better to locate a replacement low mileage transmission rather than try to fix the bearing? Anyway, this is why it's called an adventure. It could have just as easily been anyone else's bike too. I still think these 1150s are some of the more durable bikes out there. We are headed back south of the border mid-December for a couple weeks, but no bike being carried. Hope your Thanksgiving went well for you too.

Back