• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Greetings from Western Kentucky

Reaction score
Have been lurking around the site for a few day trying to gather some info. I am currently riding a 1994 Honda Magna 750. I like the bike and have basically got it back to factory original. However, I have an opportunity to purchase a mint, one owner 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250s. As I have found a good bit of info regarding this machine on this site, I am looking for opinions on why I should, or should not get the Bandit. I use the bike to commute back and forth to work, take some short trips through the areas around the house and such. Would like to take some longer trips, and feel the Bandit may be better suited for that type of endeavor. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Welcome to the site!

I've not owned a Bandit, but for what you describe, it seems like it would be an ideal bike so long as you stick to pavement. In your area, I would be leaning toward a dualsport :trust: So many of the newer adventure bikes are also really good street bikes as well as being capable of handling most any dirt roads. They get good mpg, have good power, good suspension, good brakes, and they sit high, which is nice in traffic so you can see and be seen. Still, hard to go wrong with the Bandit.

My experience with my Bandit has been good. I'm almost 75, so my opinions are not of a young person. I'm not aware of any recalls ever, unlike my other machines. It's known as one of the most long lived machines. I believe the older machines like mine are undervalued on the market, so they are good buys. Realize that it's a torque machine. No use winding it out to the redline. You should be getting there fast enough shifting at 7,500. Tickets are easy to get. Be careful when traction may be limited. It'll quickly get sideways on a slick surface. Mine doesn't have ABS. Haven't found that to be a problem. I think it's a great highway touring bike. The only limitation might be the five gallon tank. The light will come on around 120 miles. The 'low fuel' indicator does comes on a early since 200 miles should be possible. I usually fill after 150 miles and have another gallon left. The handling, for my skills, is great. Suspension meets my needs, the seat is low enough for my 30" legs, seat comfortable enough, accessories are available.

Howdy and welcome.

Transitioning from the VF750C to the 1250 is quite the difference in seating style. Be sure to try out the Bandit for as long as you are allowed to learn how the different ergonomics will feel.
I used to have a Honda VT1100 and just about every other style of bike felt like it had an "aggressive" riding position in comparison.
The 1250 may be a better bike all around (more power, brakes, range) but if it doesn't fit you or you don't like the riding position, none of that matters.

I bought mine with 600 miles on it. It came with bar risers (two inches I think) and adjustable levers. I added an after market windshield and a wind defector on top of that. I also put on handguards to deflect winter air. Bandits are fairly easy to farkel.

I used to have a Magna - but it was the V45 750. It was a great bike. 83 or 84 I believe.

OK, so I'm a bit slow responding to this one. Welcome to the board!

I take it you're still in Western KY? I just moved to near Glasgow from Houston last month. We finally made the jump and escaped the city for the countryside. I ride a 2012 FZ1 and I'm just more of a Yamaha guy, but I've known a lot of people that love the Bandits. Before I bought the first FZ1, I was certainly eyeing the Bandits as well.

Back in 2005, the FZ1 and Bandits were very similar. I think you would love the Bandit. More power, but very controllable, nice handling, and a good ride. It sounds like a good opportunity. Also, if you're nearby, we could certainly get together and find some great roads out here!

Last edited:
Back