• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Grizzly mini lathe SPF

cwadej

Reaction score
Grizzly G8688 mini lathe for metal.

as seen here:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-7-x-12-Mini-Metal-Lathe/G8688

now has quick change tool post, 6 or 7 tool holders, assorted bits including cut-off, dead center, 3" bull nose live center, and I'm sure some stuff I'm forgetting.
mag base dial indicator arms with dial indicator.

pick up SE Arlington or meet near, etc.

$300

Last edited:
Re: Grizzly mini lathe

Can I ask you why you are selling it? Been thinking I need one of these for spacers and such.

There is no reason for me to own the same tools as Doug and Doug, I think you need this.

I dont need this, but I want it!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Selling due to downsizing. Moving to San Diego for military, then in 2020 off the Japan.

OK, Mitch, I am in. I will PM and work out the details sir.

If Doug, doesn't take it, I will. Let me know. PM sent.

Gary

OK, Mitch, I am in. I will PM and work out the details sir.
I can ride along and help if needed

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I hardly ever get a deal to jump on these days. I am pretty happy, I wish there were more of them. But, imagine the entertainment value ahead watching me cut up metal bits and break stuff with the little lathe. That has to provide some consolation. Remember, I hit myself in the head with a T-Post driver, I can achieve greatness. I actually already got some good advice from a friend who said, "Don't start it with the key in the chuck..."

Sorry, didn't realize some off color language. Removed link.

:doh:

Last edited:
I hardly ever get a deal to jump on these days. I am pretty happy, I wish there were more of them. But, imagine the entertainment value ahead watching me cut up metal bits and break stuff with the little lathe. That has to provide some consolation. Remember, I hit myself in the head with a T-Post driver, I can achieve greatness. I actually already got some good advice from a friend who said, "Don't start it with the key in the chuck..."

Great score, I was only expressing my amazement at such a good deal and the fact that I did not see it before you, lol. I have been rearranging stuff in the garage to make space for one of these some day. Knowing my luck and the timing of things though I will have to pay full price, lol. FWIW even now days on a lot of the new drill presses if it comes with a keyed chuck the chuck key's have a little spring on the end of them to prevent you from leaving the key in it. I personally hate it but I guess that is the way fo the world. I'll be swapping it to a keyless chuck at some point!

I was looking a few weeks ago and someone had a combo mill/lathe listed in DFW. Might still be there but I am just out of phase on pay right now. Was one of the older HF units that was actually a decent unit. Looked like it still had the shipping grease on it but they were saying it needed a capacitor on one of the motors. Seemed like the best of both worlds but a friend of mine was telling me the turret style might have some accuracy problems in the grand scheme of things.

Yep, this is a new magical journey, so I am pretty excited. I know nothing, so I get to learn lots of new stuff. A mill is down the road, just not right now.

Yep, this is a new magical journey, so I am pretty excited. I know nothing, so I get to learn lots of new stuff. A mill is down the road, just not right now.
A mill is high on my list, lathe would be awesome eventually too. But I need to learn to weld way better than I do now to go along with it

A mill is high on my list, lathe would be awesome eventually too. But I need to learn to weld way better than I do now to go along with it

Welding is a class I shall take soon

I'm self taught mig and stick, mostly ranch stuff. have a handymig and a bobcat 225. Hoping jmz will show how it's done one day. I can make it stick, but it's only pretty 25% of the time.

I am literally out in the garage right now putting my TIG setup together and going to start practicing. Classes are great but I figure between Youtube and having the ability to pull together a lot of great scraps I can practice to my hearts content. The bottle of Argon was only about 46 bucks and I believe I have enough filler rod for steel and aluminum to practice until I am ready to start making progress on some other projects.

I am literally out in the garage right now putting my TIG setup together and going to start practicing. Classes are great but I figure between Youtube and having the ability to pull together a lot of great scraps I can practice to my hearts content. The bottle of Argon was only about 46 bucks and I believe I have enough filler rod for steel and aluminum to practice until I am ready to start making progress on some other projects.
That's my next welding endeavor. YouTube is great for info. Weldingtipsandtricks is a very good source imo

That's my next welding endeavor. YouTube is great for info. Weldingtipsandtricks is a very good source imo

Absolutely. Also The Fabrication Series (used to be farbicator) and This Old Tony... (not to mention MR Pete!!!)

I think I have everything setup and am about to make some noise with this thing. Just stringing the 240 extension chord behind a few things so I can optimize my garage layout. Sometimes I wonder why I have so many motorcycles, but then when a few friends fly in, it is nice to have a bike for everyone, lol!!! :rider:

Soon Doug can turn expensive billet into worthless metal thread and ruin pricey parts that need to be reordered from the manufacturer. Sounds like fun!!!

Absolutely. Also The Fabrication Series (used to be farbicator) and This Old Tony... (not to mention MR Pete!!!)

I think I have everything setup and am about to make some noise with this thing. Just stringing the 240 extension chord behind a few things so I can optimize my garage layout. Sometimes I wonder why I have so many motorcycles, but then when a few friends fly in, it is nice to have a bike for everyone, lol!!! :rider:
Did you make or buy your 240 chord? I need a good one. I'll check them out. I might be getting custody of a mill soon.

Did you make or buy your 240 chord? I need a good one. I'll check them out. I might be getting custody of a mill soon.

I bought it at a place right down the street from me here in Waco called Atwoods. Pretty decent price I think for a 25 footer. Right at about 50 bucks. Even has the glow indicator so if you have it running behind some stuff you can peak and see if it still has power.

https://www.atwoods.com/century-wire-and-cable-extension-cord-welding-25-ft-d13308025.html

Soon Doug can turn expensive billet into worthless metal thread and ruin pricey parts that need to be reordered from the manufacturer. Sounds like fun!!!

I'll be ruining them on the TIG in about 20 minutes. Just waiting on some saturday pizza, have some classic rock running and finally got version 1.0 of the garage TV and PC setup so I can creep online in the garage too.

Luckily this is all Ninja and Gixxer garbage i got to practice on so I feel zero guilt turning it into a pile of molten aluminum. :rofl:

Back