• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Group riding etiquette and trip preparation?

Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
I have been riding on and off for maybe 10 years but have almost always ridden alone. One of my new years resolutions is to meet some people and go on a few rides and hopefully get over the social anxiety that keeps me away.

In my time riding alone, I am nearly certain I've picked up some bad habits. Where would be a good place to start reading up on group riding etiquette? Any one-off advice from a seasoned group rider would also be welcome. What's that one thing that's really annoying that the new guy does?

Another one of my goals is to take a few 400-600 mile round trips this year (Maybe Huntsville to Dallas for a night or Huntsville to Fredricksburg for the weekend) and eventually work my way up to being able to go on a ~1600 mile round trip from my home in Huntsville, TX to Elizabethtown, KY to visit a few high school friends. What is a good way to prepare?

The bike I currently have is a 2015 FJ09 that I regularly take out for 150-300 mile day trips. I don't really do much to prepare for these trips other than bring a little bit of water, food, a few layers depending on weather, cell phone, and portable charger for cell phone. I love getting semi-lost and finding my way back home.

IMG_20191231_143731 (2).jpg

Last edited:
We've all been in that position - so the main thing is not to over-think or over-worry. Just join a Pie Run (see thread about Hico, or meetup tomorrow) and you'll have plenty of opportunity to meet folks and at least do a hour or so post-lunch ride in a group.

The main difference in riding in a group is that you become responsible for the guy behind you. Before taking a turn, make sure he's behind you. Don't see him behind you? Stop, turn around and see what's what. The guy in front of you will do the same.

Other than that, just stagger left/right/left in the lane, until you get to tighter turns - then spread out to single file. Try to make traffic lights as a group. Known your group's minimum fuel range, and if one guy fills up, everyone ought to (so you don't become the odd man out needing fuel 30 minutes later).

The most annoying thing (to me) about larger groups is that every stop takes a LOOONG time. Fuel, pee breaks, drinks, and usually not in the most efficient fashion. So just be aware at breaks and get your biz done so as not to slow the group down. Groups move at the speed of the slowest guy. No problem if that's you - but you might be more comfortable if it isn't you. This matters most for longer, multi-day group rides.

Reactions: JMZ
I like your ambition. We are similar-- I tend towards introversion and riding alone: often because it is a needed break from the world. Some group riding can turn into a "race". So, I avoid the younger sport bike crowd. Have fun!

That's actually what kept me away from group riding initially is seeing the mobs of people on street bikes wearing flip flops and tank tops doing wheelies down the highway. I like to go fast sometimes and definitely enjoy pushing through corners but not in an environment like that. Too many things to go wrong, too many people could get hurt/die.

Nice bike
I tend to avoid large group rides, (over 20) as things tend to get slower at stops and lots of folks get frustrated, which to me is a bad sign.
Frustrated riders often have poor judgement and I don't want to be around poor judgement.
So I tend to stick to small groups of 10 or less, and mostly for 1-2 days, and be extra considerate with other folks timetables and needs. I also try to make sure I'm not holding up other folks as much as possible.
Usually on longer rides I rode alone or just 1-5 bikes, and have gone up to 3 weeks this way. You get a rhythm and flow going that can work really well and managing breakdowns etc can be much easier.
Prepping for a longer ride is easy, just do a few 300 mile days in a month, then try to do a couple back to back. That will tell you what your body can take and you can plan stops accordingly. Packing is the thing most folks struggle with, lay out what you think you need and see if you can fit it in your luggage.
You will likely find (as most of us do) that even when you strip down to the minimum you think you can, you still come back going "I packed too much, I forgot I even had that", and "what was I thinking putting that in here?"
On very rare occasions I have had to pick up an extra bit of clothing or kit somewhere, but that's what charity shops and Walmart are for.
The only thing I find really annoying that new guys sometimes do, is not listening if another rider tells you that your riding is not safe or suitable for the ride you are on.
Riders who want to be Rossi have no place on a group ride IMHO, I'm tired of picking them up after their ambitions exceed their abilities.
I would much rather ride with someone slower and good company over dinner, but that's just my 2c.

I think just the fact you asked the question means you'll fit right in.

There seem to be rides and paces for everyone. The rides I tend to gravitate to are ones with:

Experienced riders
Functional bikes
ATGATT
Riding at a spirited pace

In my experience so far, that tends to be people who have been on a race track at some point.

There are a large number of things to consider in group rides. Riding with a few friends at most is what I'd recommend, almost universally; not a larger group. Motorcycling is a solo sport, meaning every operator is in charge of his/her own success. Even on the big buck organized mototours, they frequently offer ways to avoid the whole group travelling together (yet still re-grouping at the same evening destination) for much of the ride. It allows for variation in individual skill levels, comfort zones or speeds, and general riding styles. There are obviously etiquette issues, signals and behavioral expectations. A simple one is understanding each others goals for the ride. If your goal is to do photography any time you want, and I want to put on lots of miles in the day, we need a plan and agreement on where to reconnect, because we both need to ride stress free. Beyond that there are skills, knowledge on how to read road conditions and hand signals folks use among friends. I am certain we have saved some crashes by hand signalling serous road hazards discovered by the lead rider. Then of course ya'll could buy electronic communicators and spend more time chatting than some might enjoy. It's whatever works for your group.

I've done hundreds of rides and long tours with 2-3 other bikes in the fold and it always adds some level of additional complication, but setting expectations ahead of time, perhaps having ridden with the group previously, controlling our own personalities and behaviors when we get tired, allows less chance for a costly mistake.

If you want a deeper drilldown, PM me and you are welcome to ride on over for a visit, and we can sit on the porch and go over the things you may be wondering about and a bunch of tips that have keep me and my friends alive over the years. The whole goal is for all to have a great ride, not screw up anyone else's ride, and for nobody to get hurt.

Another one of my goals is to take a few 400-600 mile round trips this year (Maybe Huntsville to Dallas for a night or Huntsville to Fredricksburg for the weekend) and eventually work my way up to being able to go on a ~1600 mile round trip from my home in Huntsville, TX to Elizabethtown, KY to visit a few high school friends. What is a good way to prepare?

For tips on Long Distance riding you may want to look at some of the info in the LD Riders sub-forum https://www.twtex.com/forums/forums/ld-riders.155/

We're also happy to answer any questions you might have about the specific challenges of pounding out the miles, but what has worked best for me has been to work up to the miles you want to ride. Your 850 mile ride to KY is an easy day jaunt to me, but it might be a three day ride for others. Just ride what you are comfortable with and keep building up your endurance.

The bike I currently have is a 2015 FJ09 that I regularly take out for 150-300 mile day trips. I don't really do much to prepare for these trips other than bring a little bit of water, food, a few layers depending on weather, cell phone, and portable charger for cell phone. I love getting semi-lost and finding my way back home.
Your bike is fine for LD riding (most any bike is, some are just more comfortable than others) as you have a windscreen and storage. You already know about water and food and layers and communication so you're well ahead of the curve.

KiwiTex is correct in that initially you'll probably pack way more than you need, and that Walmart is there for your basic needs should you lack something.

In a bigger group the probability of mechanical issues increases exponentially after about eight or so riders. Don't be the guy who shows up with a dead battery that should have been replaced last year or any other neglected maintenance gotchas. Unless you coordinate with the group about who's carrying which tools (never happens) have the tools and spares to deal with your machine.

Seems the bigger the group the more likely someone will feel a need to ride beyond their abilities. This almost always ends badly and can tear through huge amounts of time dealing with their injuries or mechanicals. A good ride leader will assess the group's least experienced members and lead accordingly. It can frustrate faster riders but saves a lot of time in the long run. Ideally there will be a sweep rider on the back position. He and the ride leader communicate about how everyone is getting along between them and how to adjust the pace. Anytime you feel like things may be getting uncomfortable for you, please catch one of them off to the side and let them know. Way better than hoping they'll figure it out and they'll surely be grateful for the heads up.

Finally, you'll be among fellow motorcyclists who share your interest and passion. As a group we can spend an entire day just visiting about our sport. I believe you'll find being part of a group a really good time and you'll make friends by the dozens. It's just how we are.

Last edited:
I'll skip the group ride stuff - it's been well covered here by people who do a lot more group rides than I've done, or ever will do.

As far as longer solo rides --- If you're already doing 300-mile day rides, you're halfway there, so to speak. You know that you & your bike have an endurance combination that's good for at least 300 miles. I'm not sure what all you're looking for, but here are a few suggestions.

As for what to carry, call me anal-retentive - hey, everybody else does - but I have a spreadsheet with trip lists for every occasion. Going through the checklist when I pack up, even for a one-nighter to Arkansas, is what makes sure I don't arrive at the motel without phone charger, reading glasses, etc. As far as the absolute essentials, you need tire plugs & a handful of essential tools, some sort of inflation device, a phone, a credit card, maps, & water. You can figure out the rest.

As you stretch your endurance, build in break time. Iron-butters notwithstanding, most of us mortals fare better if we take a few rests. To some extent, that's forced because you probably have to stop for gas every every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. My temptation is to gas, pee, and go. I've had to discipline myself to slow down some. Take my helmet off at every stop. walk around & stretch a little. Enjoy a drink at the gas station or a nearby McD's. That 10-minutes of self-refreshment definitely extends your comfortable riding distance.

Drink a lot of liquid; even in cool weather, motorcycling can really dehydrate you. I wear a Camelbak, and tend to take a sip of water every 10-15 minutes - a habit I picked up from backpacking. Helps keep me fresh & hydrated.

I keep a main screen on my phone that has a bunch of pertinent travel apps - Google Maps, weather apps, Gas Buddy, Hotels.com, campground locaters, music apps, etc. Note: I'm not recommending you use them while on the move, but it helps to have them along, and have them in a single place for quick reference.

Here's a trick I learned a long time ago from a veteran tourer. When you head out on a trip, plan a stop only 20-30 miles down the road. Why? To make adjustments. There's always something - a loose strap, GPS needs adjusting, earbuds aren't right, coat collar is rubbing your neck, ad infinitum. The purpose of that planned short-stop is so that you'll pull over & fix those little irritants properly, rather than being tempted to pick at them when you're doing 75mph.

If you're doing 300-mile days already, you've either discovered discomfort issues, and possibly already fixed them. Most of us suffer from sore rear ends. If you haven't dealt with that, do so - a better saddle, Airhawk pad, sheepskin pad, whatever - find a solution & implement it. If you don't have some kind of cruise on your bike, look into that. My Vista Cruise cost a whopping $25 and makes a huge difference in wrist & shoulder comfort. Those two items - my Airhawk seat pad and my Vista Cruise - probably add at least 150 miles to what I consider an acceptable riding day.

Did that help at all? I don't know if that's the kind of stuff you're looking for or not.

Welcome!

tip: at pit stops-if the leader pulls off their helmet-it's ok to take yours off. when the leader starts to gear back up- you should aim to be ready to roll when they are.

i like Jarret's observation-the fact that you ask means you'll fit right in.

Great thread. After all these years of riding, fact is long group rides just don't work for me. Long rides also, as I age, I find to be more and more difficult. My body has two weak points: small hands that fatigue, and a certain back muscle that always cramps after about 100 miles. I have a comfy bike (Guzzi). The coup de grace is always horrendous traffic and navigation of construction zones.

I bought MC camping gear about 4 years ago: unopened tent, pad, sleeping bag. I should just sell it here so it is used by somebody.
Old Guzzi forum folks got really pissy with me about not taking longer rides or participating in their various campouts. See first paragraph for why, and in the end our ending was not very pretty.

Given that, today looks beautiful. I am skipping church, filling the tank of my MV, and heading NW to some hills and curves. Alone.

Good call on the helmet off/on deal. Almost nothing irritates me more than waiting for someone else to get their gear on, while I sit there in the sun with no windflow. Call me impatient, when it comes to keeping the ride going, and it's true. I've fought it for a lifetime and I'm sure its one reason I don't do group rides.

The other one that RG mentioned about personal responsibility in maintaining your bike is also critical. I once left for Canada from CO and a buddy had 3300 miles on his Dunlop tires on his Honda Blackbird. I'd asked him to replace them before we left as I knew that on my BB I'd never gotten more than 3500 on a rear tire. I was harder on tires for sure, but I knew he would not make it on those tires. Sure enough he had a 2 inch wide white strip of cord showing coming home through WY and was really screwing up the ride for the other two of us. Of course no shop carried the tire we needed. We finally left him to drive 45mph on the remaining 400 miles, and never invited him on on another tour.

850 miles is an easy day jaunt? yikes my body aches just thinking about it now.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned it, but a couple things. 1) if you commit to a group ride, stick with the group. We had a rider that kept stopping for his own smoke breaks and taking pictures. We were constantly having to go back and check to see where he was, frustrating. 2) if you’re in the group ride and decide for whatever reason it’s not working for you, please wait until the next group break and then let the group leader know you are leaving, he/she will then inform the group, don’t assume someone else will tell them and please don just bail. I had to go back “looking” for someone once and caught them about 8 miles down the road heading home. They just u-turned and left, man was I pissed off. I don’t do too many groups anyway.

Work up to bigger groups just like you work up to longer rides. Start with one other rider, then two, etc,...

I am not a fan of big group rides. My preference is 2-6 but I will do 7-10. Over 10 and it just gets to be a LOT more work keeping everyone together, finding a pace that works for a wide range of skills and styles, long stops for gas, long stops for food, etc... That said, I have had some fun group rides with 20+ people, but that is atypical.

You want to find other riders that understand that there is a BIG difference between solo riding and group riding, and that is the need to think about the group and not just yourself. The concern is for the quality of the ride for everyone in the group, even if that might mean doing something a little different compared to what you might do on a solo ride, like ride a bit slower, take a few more breaks, or even stop for the occasional picture. Riding in a group with unfamiliar riders makes it harder. Riding with familiar riders can make it a LOT of fun. I've yet to meet anyone that doesn't enjoy creating great memories that are shared with other people, and group riding can be an excellent way to do that!

I've led a LOT of group rides over the years, including organized tours for hire as well as just organized tours for myself and friends. when I first started TWT back in 2003, I used to host group rides frequently (pre kids :-P) Now I have a harder time doing it because I usually don't know that I will even get to do a ride until a few days before the ride. The short notice makes it hard for many people to join me. In those early years, it was not uncommon to have anywhere from 1 to 25 people show up for a ride. These rides included very skilled riders and very new riders. In fact, I even did "Newbie" rides specifically geared towards riders new to riding and/or just new to riding in groups. These were basically educational rides for the newbies. We covered basic bike prep: air pressure in tires, chain slack, and proper suspension settings. We covered basic bike handling like Slow, Look, Lean, and Roll. We talked about good lines through corners. I usually tried to alternate the rider order so that newbs had an experienced rider in front and behind, one to watch as an example and one to be watched by for constructive critiquing at stops. Lunches were usually times for questions and answers. We covered BASIC hand signals and road hazard warning indications. The pace was kept at posted speed limits. I've not done these kinds of big rides in years though.

A more typical group ride for me now will be 2-6 riders. Skill level may be mixed depending on who shows up. I always try to be aware of skill levels if possible so I can lead accordingly. My goal is for every rider to have fun AND be safe. Generally, most of the guys I ride with regularly are of the same mind set in this regard, so they don't mind changing up the pace to accommodate new riders. Like me, they want to see the new riders learn and improve to become experienced riders. Many of these same guys were instrumental in my own learning, especially on the dual sport side of things! So I want to pay it forward where I can.

There are times when I plan group rides that I only do private invitations only because I know skill level will be a big factor in overall enjoyment of the ride. I've done many rides that would not be suitable for a beginner, but they are usually of the extreme dual sport variety, not street riding. I also want to keep the number of riders at a set limit just for logistics, like fitting all our bikes in one trailer and all our butts in one truck ;-)

As a new rider, I think the best thing you can do for ME is to ride at a pace that does not scare you or cause you to take chances that make you uncomfortable. I DO NOT mind having to wait for you at a stop sign or turn. I don't mind waiting even longer after you catch up just so you can take a break if needed. I can't stand seeing a group ride where the leader waits for everyone to regroup, but then takes off the second the last guy pulls up to the group, thus not giving him/her a change to rest like everyone else. This is especially annoying because it is those last few riders that are probably stressing and expending energy more than anyone else and thus most in need of a break.

Probably the second biggest thing you can do for ME is to communicate your intentions. If you are getting tired, need a break, or even feel like you need to peel off and go your own way, just make sure to let me know! I don't like turning around to look for people that have left the group without having let a single other person know. I cannot stress this enough. I've had groups of people scouring road sides looking for a missing rider for hours in nasty weather simply because he decided to split from the group without letting anyone know. When we finally got back to the hotel to find him lounging with a cold beer in hand, we weren't real happy about it. He didn't think it was a big deal and thought it kind of funny that we were all out looking for him. That rider wasn't real popular at that moment and I don't think ever attended another ride after that.

Having your bike in good working condition is important. Flat tires are going to happen. Bald tires are preventable. I've seen numerous rides and even trips ruined because riders did not make sure they had enough tire left for the miles they were going to be riding. For a day ride, you might be able to squeeze a few more miles out of a tire. For a multi-day trip, it isn't worth the risk. This is especially true for dual sport trips where tire quality has a big impact on your ability ride well. Unless my tires are new, or close to new, I will usually replace them prior to leaving for any trip of more than 2-3 days. Tires like TKC-80s and other aggressive DS tires can wear quickly! And, speaking of flats, for street bikes, it is a good idea to carry a basic plug strip kit. You can get them at most any gas station for under $10. It should have the strips, a reaming tool (looks like a round file), and the insertion tool (looks like the open end of a sewing needle but with a notch in the opening). Either CO2 cartridges and/or a small electric air pump is also a good idea. With these items, most flats on street bike can be taken care of in 5-10 minutes and the ride resumed. For DS bikes, things can be more complicated depending on whether you are riding a bike with tubed wheels or tubeless wheels. Tubeless wheels, like those on my 1200 GS, can usually be plugged and you can keep riding. For bikes with tubes, you will need to be able to remove the wheel, break the bead so you can get access to the old tube, a patch kit to patch the tube or spare tubes. This means wrenches, tire irons, and maybe other tools that make it easier. These repairs might take 15-30 minutes, but again, you can usually be back to riding in short order. Don't be the rider that gets a flat as has NOTHING. Most of us have no problem jumping in to help if you need it or lack experience in using the tools. But if you don't have what you need, well... that is a bit annoying. And, especially for a DS ride, it can ruin the ride for every one because the group HAS to make sure that rider gets out okay, even if that is the last day of his ride on a big trip. I've seen dealing with that kind of thing wipe out an entire day of a trip when it didn't have to.

Don't be afraid to approach a ride leader and let him/her know how you perceive your experience level. It is FAR preferable to find out this way than when that lack of experiences force the revelation to the group because you got in over your head trying to pretend you were more experienced. As I mentioned, I have no issues adjusting a ride to accommodate inexperienced riders. Even when that takes place, there are just times where people make mistakes (even experienced riders). So while it might suck for the inexperienced rider if something happens, I don't get worked up about that either. It is part of the learning process. I've been there, done that, and was fortunate that the guys I was riding with were happy to help me because I made no pretense about my abilities. Yes, it was embarrassing to be "that guy", they understood because they had been "that guy" as well. It usually ends up in the telling of lots of "that guy" stories ;-)

Communication of expectations is a big deal in terms of eliminating potential group conflict. I put a lot of the responsibility for this on the ride organizer. I think expectations need to be laid out up front to allow people to gauge if they are a good fit for the ride. When I put out an open invite for a group ride, I try to give a good description of what the ride will be like, what skills levels are appropriate, and even what bikes might be appropriate. This is critical for many DS rides. There are rides where having a total DS newbie show up on a new R1250 GS almost certainly isn't going to end well. For many of the big event type rides, like the Texas Adventure Rider's Association rides, there will be multiple groups, usually divided by skill level and/or bike size. BE THE RIDER that is not afraid to hang with the "slow" group. If you find it is too slow, you can always try the faster group. If you start in the faster group and you aren't sure, that is a great way to get hurt, ruining your ride and theirs.

HAVE FUN. Really. I mean this. I ride bikes because I enjoy it. It is not a job. I am not a racer. I like meeting other people. I like sharing fun experiences with other people and building quality relationships. It really helps to relax around people and not get all hung up about every little thing that doesn't go the way I expect. Stuff happens. Plans sometimes have to be jettisoned and reformed on the fly to adapt to the reality of the moment. Check your ego if you have a big one. One upmanship among strutting roosters when people are sharing their stories gets REALLY old. Let people tell their stories and enjoy them without feeling like you have to top theirs. Too often I have seen big egos try to dominate when everyone is just hanging out at lunch, dinner, or in a hotel parking lot at the end of a day. I can tolerate those folks if needed, but generally those aren't the types that I tend to invite on rides and trips.

Lets face it folks: it's a solo sport we are trying to adapt to groups. Everyone on the ride has the responsibility to carefully consider the thoughts and actions/responsibilities of the others as well or don't be in the group. I don't think I can trust myself with that responsibility so forget it, no more group rides with over 4 for me :-)

riding alone has it's advantages, Most times I am alone, and have solved a lot of the problems of the world.
the only advise to you is carry I D, med card, ins card, cash and credit card. the MOST important is a SPOT device.
Enjoy the peace and solitude.

Reactions: Vec
For day rides, group riding is only truly enjoyable if every rider in it are of similar skill set and ride with the same mentality. Otherwise, the whole thing just degrades down to a slinky train.

Read https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/pace/ and https://www.cycleworld.com/2013/09/...the-pace-motorcycle-safety-and-riding-skills/ Riding The Pace is hard to manage beyond at most a handful of riders. But when everybody understands and rides well, it's a thing of beauty.

I much prefer a small group of 2-3 riders that gel well and synch tight, than a large group that stretches for a mile. You don't need to drag knees and hang balls out to have fun. Just be able to read the lead rider's pace/rhythm, stay smooth, and maintain momentum.

Long distance touring is different. Camaraderie is the main focus and the roads are unlikely to be winding all the way. Besides, it would be taxing to maintain the level of focus required to ride The Pace all day long. Best to relax most of the way, and save your energy for the fun bits.

Back