• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Groveton Loop Adventure ride - Saturday 10/17/20

There is one section on Felix Curie Rd. (West of Point Blank) that can be a real nightmare if it is wet. It will look dry on the surface but be muddy underneath. It is not deep, but it is SLICK!! I hit it unexpectedly on my GS while riding with Daniel and I still don't know how I managed to keep the bike upright until we got to the BOTTOM of the hill and stopped. Then we had to figure out how to get back up the hill to go back the way we came. After MUCH huffing, puffing, and grunting trying to keep the rear tire under the bike, we were able to walk it up the hill under power while Daniel tried to keep the rear inline with the front. We were wasted after that...

If you look at the GPX viewer and go toward the west end of the road, you will see two stock ponds right next to each other and right next to a bend in the road. If you pass the ponds with them on your left and go right around that corner, the mud started a bit after that kink to the left and continued past where the cleared pastures end and the trees begin on the North side of the road. I don't know where the mud might start if you were coming the other direction because we didn't try to get through.

There is one section on Felix Curie Rd. (West of Point Blank) that can be a real nightmare if it is wet. It will look dry on the surface but be muddy underneath. It is not deep, but it is SLICK!! I hit it unexpectedly on my GS while riding with Daniel and I still don't know how I managed to keep the bike upright until we got to the BOTTOM of the hill and stopped. Then we had to figure out how to get back up the hill to go back the way we came. After MUCH huffing, puffing, and grunting trying to keep the rear tire under the bike, we were able to walk it up the hill under power while Daniel tried to keep the rear inline with the front. We were wasted after that...

If you look at the GPX viewer and go toward the west end of the road, you will see two stock ponds right next to each other and right next to a bend in the road. If you pass the ponds with them on your left and go right around that corner, the mud started a bit after that kink to the left and continued past where the cleared pastures end and the trees begin on the North side of the road. I don't know where the mud might start if you were coming the other direction because we didn't try to get through.
Not sure if it was that same road, but there was a time I attempted that route when it was wet. We hit one road that was just an inch or so of really slick mud on a hard surface. I ended up low siding after my front tire crossed a ridge my rear tire couldn't follow. We did make it all the way down that road though.

I am using OSMAND on my Android phone. Its very good for turning your phone into an offline GPS like a Garmin, and I have that mounted to my handlebars and use it as my full time GPS. This time around I will record the whole route and maybe see if I can edit it later and we can create a new one and add in this stuff. Me and Synthlegend did the Burger Run and it was outdated, mainly the bridge north of Lake Conroe is permanently closed and it showed that route going over the bridge so that has to be a pretty old file.

I plan on riding. But as usual if I show up I am going and if I do not show up do not wait for me.

I think we are going to have perfect offroad conditions based on the current forecast. Its now dropped from 50% rain Friday to 20% and 0% still on Saturday and it appears tonight a cold front is pushing through and thats whats causing this, so it should cool off quite a bit also showing in the low 50s Friday morning and in the mid 60's Saturday morning. I like to ride with all my kevlar and pads offroad and personally I can't stand the heat more than anything. So if we get a light rain and it packs down the dirt and sand, and its cool on top of that, should be great.

I am using OSMAND on my Android phone. Its very good for turning your phone into an offline GPS like a Garmin, and I have that mounted to my handlebars and use it as my full time GPS. This time around I will record the whole route and maybe see if I can edit it later and we can create a new one and add in this stuff. Me and Synthlegend did the Burger Run and it was outdated, mainly the bridge north of Lake Conroe is permanently closed and it showed that route going over the bridge so that has to be a pretty old file.

The routes are all 4+ years old. Stubblefield bridge had been closed since Harvey. Supposedly they're going to replace it. There's an easy bypass for that section on the CB loop and I've never bothered to make another file since I know what it is. I keep the routes for my own use and for anyone to use when on my rides. I make no guarantee that any of them are passable if you try to run them on your own.

I plan on riding. But as usual if I show up I am going and if I do not show up do not wait for me.

Commitment issues again?

I think we are going to have perfect offroad conditions based on the current forecast. Its now dropped from 50% rain Friday to 20% and 0% still on Saturday and it appears tonight a cold front is pushing through and thats whats causing this, so it should cool off quite a bit also showing in the low 50s Friday morning and in the mid 60's Saturday morning. I like to ride with all my kevlar and pads offroad and personally I can't stand the heat more than anything. So if we get a light rain and it packs down the dirt and sand, and its cool on top of that, should be great.

Yep. Hoping for cooler weather myself. I'm less concerned about the sand getting packed as it doesn't really bother me.

quote: Commitment issues again?

Nope just seems like life (tenant and rent house problems) throws something at me at the last minute.

Quote: Time for a new tenant?

No - just things happen with 50 year old houses and if for an example an A/C unit or water heater etc. gives you problems I fix it or get it fixed immediately.
So if something like that happened and I did not have it fixed prior to riding I would have to cancel my ride. So I don't want to post up I am riding and then cancel and have you all thinking I am running late and you all waiting for me never to show up.

Y'all looking good so far! Very light sprinkle last night. At my place in Riverside I doubt it settled the dust.

Temps look chilly in the morning!

Couldn't say specifically, but more than half dirt.
I need to check that some time. It seems like a lot of dirt but in the end probably 60/40 dirt to asphalt. There's a couple of long asphalt sections unfortunately, that's Tx!

How much dirt to pavement ratio is in this loop
Haha, Dirt to Pavement ratio. We need an acronym for that, like "DIPA"......"So whats the DIPA RATIO?"

Anyhow been raining all morning here in Humble, could be muddy. We will see. So much for that .2" and 20% chance of rain.

I got my high front fender now, so the "black gumbo" stopped my tire cold at the Redneck Ramble with that low 1" clearance highway fender. That fender is now laying in pieces on the side of the "black gumbo" road somewhere in Paris Texas. We literally kicked it off and broke off the rest of the pieces with our hands so I could get the front tire moving, and I was able to ride back 20 miles back to camp with NO fender, so that quick fix worked. I highly recommend now the 2" clearance kit thats sold for all these front highway fender. I went with a 5" clearance dirt bike fender kit, and that costs more.

I have an ATV strap now got 1 day shipping on it from Amazon. Its pretty cheaply made but should work in pinch was only $13. I will pick up a pro quality one when I get more time.

Last edited:
So far still dry up here! A couple of those roads I wouldn't try wet!

Yeah, lots of rain in Cypress too. Looking at the precipitation totals on wunderground's map it looks very dry along the route. One spot may have gotten an isolated downpour as it's showing a half inch of rainfall. Shouldn't be an issue. If it is, we'll figure something out.

Great. I am more prepared for mud now. I will roll into Sterling Ranch probably pretty early , not later than 6:30am. I will be at the Circle K , should be by 7:30am. Is their a gate or anything I would have to call Brad? I don't beleive I have met him and don't have his number.

Great. I am more prepared for mud now. I will roll into Sterling Ranch probably pretty early , not later than 6:30am. I will be at the Circle K , should be by 7:30am. Is their a gate or anything I would have to call Brad? I don't beleive I have met him and don't have his number.
You can be an hour later than that and be fine. I'm not planning on being there til about 0830.

713-502-7356, he's typically not open to 8ish. I'd call him today if I were you and set it up. He may just give you the gate code.

If you look at the GPX viewer and go toward the west end of the road, you will see two stock ponds right next to each other and right next to a bend in the road. If you pass the ponds with them on your left and go right around that corner, the mud started a bit after that kink to the left and continued past where the cleared pastures end and the trees begin on the North side of the road. I don't know where the mud might start if you were coming the other direction because we didn't try to get through

This road at times can be quite fun and challenging to impassable. Not sure when you went last but they're building homes and selling chunks of land. I'm sure before too long this road will be some form of hardtop.

Ok, I left a message for Brad. This rain is something else but it appears to all have stayed just south of the North Beltway 8. I told Brad I would be there about 7am and left my number. Stopped off at Harbor Freight and picked up their 2100lb strap. It actually the perfect size except it flourescent yellow and the quality is about as good as a pro strap except it has metal hooks. I am gonna cut the metal hooks off. Right now they are offering 30% of everything under $10, I guess to get people in the store, so that strap was like $5. Here is the link to the coupon if anyone wants to buy a last minute strap or whatever.

This website has all their coupons and they are up to date.

Weather is looking fine. Here's a shot of the rain total map I was talking about. Our ride area didn't get it like we did here in Houston. It's not too late for more of y'all to sign up!

1602880856161.png

Back