• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GS can do!

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
Capable bike in the right hands. Wish my hands were that capable.

Pretty sure I smelled vaporized clutch material a couple times.
I may have the skills to try it, maybe not make it, but I don't have the pocketbook for a bike that costs that much to toss it away. But sure appreciate his attempts.

Mine has a few Big Bend battle scars that I put on it 10 years ago just after I got it. Never was too concerned about beating it up but my problem now is age is gaining on me so a lot of those places look like owee spots to me.

Falling down hurts when you get old.

WOW, I give up my Bad ***** Hombre Title from the time I tried to keep up with Zander and Steve. And took the GS down and the up and into the tree on that ride to Ozona..

Johnny Blaze

Forum Supporter
Looks like a nice ride no matter what bike you got. I could understand the motivation to try it even on a Harley.

I wouldn't, but I could understand.

Watched 2 guys on sparkling new BMW GS's ride into Hidden Falls on my way out one weekend and wishing I had turned back around to watch them explore. It would have been a lot of fun to see how far their adventure was going to take them and hope for lots of pleasant surprises.

Last edited:
I was very happy to see those guys did not make it up that last hill on the GSs. It would have been very embarrassing and a big blow to my ego! We rode that trail last month and it took an hour for two of us to get to the top on a XR650L and a XC W 450!:giveup:

Last edited:

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Picking that line says a lot about that "adventurer". Hmmm.
I wouldn't say I really "picked" that line...

I would have preferred to be down in one of those deep ruts with perhaps a bit more something solid under me, but what you don't see in the pic is the cattle guard hump just before (and obscuring) the mud. I usually cross cattle guards between the tracks because there are usually nasty potholes right at the guard in the tracks. I crested this one at maybe 15 mph. As soon as I saw the mud I knew I was screwed because I was in the middle and would never make it to one of those ruts or completely out into the weeds... I was trying to gently coax the bike over into the left rut when the back end just shot out from under me. It was so slick though, I don't think it would have mattered where I hit it :whatever: Just trying to keep our feet under us while trying to pick up the bike was a real challenge. Joe and Roger went out into the weeds off the road after see what happened to me. This was just one of MANY really nasty spots along almost 18 miles of mud and ruts. We were VERY glad to be out of there when it was all over.

Yep, understood. My point is that the higher with any vegetation is always a better choice than mud. Always! Forty + years of wet enduros has made a very firm imprint on my brain. Even better is where any spectators are standing. ;-)

JQ1.0

Forum Supporter
Yep, understood. My point is that the higher with any vegetation is always a better choice than mud. Always! Forty + years of wet enduros has made a very firm imprint on my brain. Even better is where any spectators are standing. ;-)
Spectators do make for some really good traction. Learning to pick the older ones that can't move fast enough to get out of the way is the real skill that takes years of practice.;-)

jfink

Forum Supporter
We got lucky! A local, at breakfast the next day, said we were lucky not to have driven over bushes with thorns that would have punctured our tires. Had that comment been ringing in our ears, we would have probably ridden through the mud to avoid the possibility of flats in the middle of no place.

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
We got lucky! A local, at breakfast the next day, said we were lucky not to have driven over bushes with thorns that would have punctured our tires. Had that comment been ringing in our ears, we would have probably ridden through the mud to avoid the possibility of flats in the middle of no place.
That's a problem when getting off to the side, plus barb wire.