• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GS can do!

I am dogging BMW because I can't afford one. No other reason at all. [emoji15]

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

Well, I couldn't afford the "real" one!

:tab What that tells me is that pretty much ALL of those bikes are awesome. The scoring was all within 10% from top dog to bottom dog in any given ranking. So it is hard to go wrong with any of them, although the low cost of the Honda is a HUGE selling feature... They kept raving about the motors of the KTM and Ducati, but if you look at the HP and Torque charts, there really isn't much difference where it matters, unless of course you are just wringing the motors out to the really high revs.

:tab It sure would be awesome to get to participate in something like this review where you get to ride all the bikes in a short time so you can compare them. I really think it eventually just boils down to personal preference in terms of looks, fit, and price. I do love my GS, but I could never afford a new one. The Honda on the other hand is in reach, even new, but I'd still likely buy a slightly used one from a Starbucker :-P

:tab Roger and I were in Utah and Colorado a few weeks ago. A few of the roads were fairly technical for the big bikes. I had an absolute blast on my GS, with a passenger, and three heavily loaded aluminum BMW adventure bags. Granted, I do have a set of Ohlins front and rear, but the motor and balance of the bike were great, off and on the pavement. The ONLY time I wasn't happy was when we got into some slick mud... But I would not have been happy on my KTM 530 EXC either. I just don't do the mud thing very well. Sand? Sure, I'm good. Large or small gravel, yep. Plain old dirt, love it. Mud... :eek2: I could hear Sarah over the communicator, "Please don't let us crash, please don't let us crash...." as the bike was wallowing from side to side through a long patch of mud. I must have worked because I don't know how I saved it :giveup:

I'll admit, I just have fun dogging everything. I own a GS, and a Husqvarna... which is really just a white and blue KTM. [emoji12]

41fe34ce6f0a0d8b9992f584bc8d350a.jpg

Duct tape won't help this.

Attachments

• 14516322_10157485207595099_228829134676712391_n.jpg
    14516322_10157485207595099_228829134676712391_n.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 208
Probably has 100K miles on it . BMW's get ridden I'm 3200 miles into a ride I've seen one KTM, about 500 GS's and 73,000 Harley's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably has 100K miles on it . BMW's get ridden I'm 3200 miles into a ride I've seen one KTM, about 500 GS's and 73,000 Harley's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get away from Starbucks and the interstate to see KTM's! See ya.

Guess it does depend on location. Last desert dual sport ride I participated in included 221 KTMs and 17 BMWs. Oddly there were 9 Triumphs and most of those were 40 year old Meriden Triumphs, not Hinckley.

And IIRC most of those 17 Beemers had Rotax engines not boxers.

_

:tab Other than the three KTMs following me on my recent trip, I think I saw one other big one somewhere. We saw a LOT of GS/GSA's. We saw one guy on a nice KTM 500 EXC in Duchesne, UT. There was also a pack of DS riders in Rangely, Colorado on a mix of 400-650 bikes which included a KTM or two. That was it. Everything else was Harleys and Indians being ridden by Europeans on vacation :shrug: To be fair, we did spend a lot of time off the beaten path and didn't see much of ANY other kind of vehicles on many of the roads.

:tab If I had not had Sarah with me, I probably would have snagged a ride on Roger's (RSquared) KTM. Sometimes change can be fun just to enjoy something new.

Star-B-Que :rofl:

I'm still wondering where that Starbucks joke originated. Other than on Harley at a Houston location and a handful of scooters parked at a Starbucks in Chicago, I've never noticed a motorcycle of any brand parked in front of Starbucks.

I'm still wondering where that Starbucks joke originated...

I always thought it was due to Starbuck's higher coffee prices. Pay more for a simialr product just because you can afford it. Status symbol kinda. You'll find Tenere, V-Strom, etc. other adv bike owners hanging out at Dunkin Donuts instead. Lol

But now I realize BMW started this trend themselves when they added the Starbuck's proximity sensor to their GS model line.

aArdNOC.jpg

related article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/14/automobiles/tough-bikes-for-suburban-adventurers.html

_

Love this...When TravelDiva got her TDub we used to frequent the local Starbucks. It was fun to watch people stop and oggle her Tdub and my KTM SXC/625. Some times you could see a wife's head shaking as they walked away back to their SUV...:lol2:

Back