• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GS can do!

Bwdmax , his son and me were riding into Bastrop on our dirt bikes a while back. I passed an HP while standing and I'm pretty sure he told me to sit down over his PA . [emoji54]

Stickers ??? We don't need no stinking STICKERS !

Bwdmax , his son and me were riding into Bastrop on our dirt bikes a while back. I passed an HP while standing and I'm pretty sure he told me to sit down over his PA . [emoji54]

Yes he clearly said “SIT DOWN !”

At a Q&A with Victoria PD I asked about standing up, was told it was against the law. That it's considered a "stunt".

Never agreed with that

At a Q&A with Victoria PD I asked about standing up, was told it was against the law. That it's considered a "stunt".

Never agreed with that

I'd have to go to court for that one. I guess for a sport bike, if you were standing with no hands on the bars, you could argue it was a stunt. However, for a bike like my GS that is DESIGNED to be ridden while standing or sitting, I'd be making the point that it is perfectly safe to operate the bike while standing and it is NOT a stunt.

Ditto [emoji1787]

Texas Transportation Code
Sec. 545.416
Riding on Motorcycle
(a)

An operator of a motorcycle shall ride on the permanent and regular seat attached to the motorcycle.

This is usually what is sited about standing. The law says on the seat. The fact that the bike is designed to be ridden from a standing position doesn’t change the law. I’m not saying I wouldn’t fight a ticket. I know it is possible to get one and will cross that bridge if I receive a citation. I do stand a fair amount to stretch my legs and have never had a problem.

Maybe it helps to have both wheels on the ground :-P

Texas DPS Motorcycle training manual instructs you to lift yourself from the seat when traversing rough and uneven surfaces i.e. railroad tracks, potholes, etc. I keep a pdf copy on my cell phone to show any LEO that would ever object to me doing it.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I would hope most officers have a little common sense to consider the reason you're standing as far as actually getting a ticket. Surely they can see the difference in a stunter and stretching your legs. Although when I do stand when on public roads I keep an eye out for LEO just like I would if riding over the speed limit just to try to avoid confrontation.

226099200_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

That's the nice thing about landing in mud - it gives. Beats hard pack or caliche any day. You may be messy, but generally things aren't broke.

Back