• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GS can do!

I know some have done it, but I would NEVER try to get my GS down Black Bear Pass. It doesn't look to bad in that pic, but when we last rode it in 2018, the steps were pretty bad. It was much rougher than when we did it back in 2010. It is challenging, but a BIG part of it is mental. There is just something about seeing that drop off at the corner at the bottom of the steps and realizing that blowing that corner could be REALLY ugly... :shock:

When in doubt throttle out, lol! This is anywhere around here today.

He doesn't seem dressed for the occasion^^^^ unless he's GS walker!

I just don't understand that. The same stuff you need on a 2 night trip is all you'll need on a 9000 mile trip. Consumables are easy to get en route.
Well that depends on where those 9,000 miles take you. If a USA loop then I would tend to agree. I've also seen an entire top case filled with nothing but camera equipment.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Well that depends on where those 9,000 miles take you. If a USA loop then I would tend to agree. I've also seen an entire top case filled with nothing but camera equipment.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
While I'm sure they won't look at it this way, camera equipment is completely superfluous. You don't need it.

I'll grant anyone the usual 3 box/bag setup. What I don't understand is when they have giant pannier boxes, a massive top box, and then a dozen other bags strapped on everywhere. How do you need 200lbs of stuff for a motorcycle trip?

Maybe it's my brief foray into backpacking or maybe I'm just more comfortable "roughing it", but some of these loads seem utterly ridiculous. I can't imagine how compromised the bikes handing and stability must be.

Last edited:
If I saw that, I'd be stuck there watching, waiting for the side stand to fold. :lol2:

Back