• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gsxr won’t start

Reaction score
I have a 08 gsxr 600. I went on vacation and tried starting it and it won’t start. I’ve tried charging the battery. I changed the fuses next to the battery. I changed the one under the passenger seat as well I believe it was a “30” fuse. I put in the key and turn. The needle moves but nothing lights up on my cluster. Ignition switch nothing. It doesn’t turn on at all. Oddly enough I took a look at the front and my fl light was on. Help anyone?

Welcome to the site :wave:

How did you find your way here? I just returned from a week of riding in North Carolina. It has to be my favorite place to ride by far!

So does the bike crank at all? With an FI bike, there needs to be enough juice to power the FI pumps/electronics, to crank the bike, and enough left over to make a spark. A battery might show that it is fully charged but still not have the power to crank and fire the bike if any of the cells inside it are going bad. It might be worth taking it out and going to an autopart store to have them load test it.

On some FI bikes, the FI light comes on when you turn on the ignition, but then it goes out after the bike starts. It only indicates a problem if the light stays on even after the bike is running. If you have a manual for the bike, or can find someone online with one, I would check to see what it says about the light.

I would also sit on the bike, put the kickstand up, and have the bike in neutral. See if it will start then. If it will, there is a good chance the kickstand safety switch has gone bad. If so, you can just short it (bypass it) until you can get a new one.

Was looking around for some help and ran into the site. The bike doesn’t crank at all. I put in the key and twist. Nothing comes up on my cluster no lights no nothing. I’ll try the kickstand option.

Welcome to the site :wave:

How did you find your way here? I just returned from a week of riding in North Carolina. It has to be my favorite place to ride by far!

So does the bike crank at all? With an FI bike, there needs to be enough juice to power the FI pumps/electronics, to crank the bike, and enough left over to make a spark. A battery might show that it is fully charged but still not have the power to crank and fire the bike if any of the cells inside it are going bad. It might be worth taking it out and going to an autopart store to have them load test it.

On some FI bikes, the FI light comes on when you turn on the ignition, but then it goes out after the bike starts. It only indicates a problem if the light stays on even after the bike is running. If you have a manual for the bike, or can find someone online with one, I would check to see what it says about the light.

I would also sit on the bike, put the kickstand up, and have the bike in neutral. See if it will start then. If it will, there is a good chance the kickstand safety switch has gone bad. If so, you can just short it (bypass it) until you can get a new one.
Ill try this

You think I should get a new one?
You can take it out and get it tested at someplace like Batteries Plus.

But yes, try the other things first. Make sure the kill switch is set to run. The bike has to be in neutral if the kickstand is down. Also, try to start it in neutral with kickstand up, as well.

Let us know what you come up with.

i have ran into a few bikes where you have to pull the clutch lever in to start even when the bike is in neutral.

i have ran into a few bikes where you have to pull the clutch lever in to start even when the bike is in neutral.
06 GSXR is this way....wouldn't surprise me if the 08 is that way as well.

It's possible the clutch switch or the kickstand switch is sticking. You can bypass either or both with a jumper to rule it out.

06 GSXR is this way....wouldn't surprise me if the 08 is that way as well. It's possible the clutch switch or the kickstand switch is sticking. You can bypass either or both with a jumper to rule it out.

Dave your bike has a bypassed kickstand switch. I put the clutch switch back in. For the curious, if you just unplug the clutch switch wires coming from the handlebar switch and plug them together, it easily defeats the switch. The kickstand was a bit harder since it is buried up under the tank. That is partly why I didn't restore that one.

All recent Suzukis have these switches. So, even in neutral you need the clutch in. My DR-Z has them all removed. When it starts in gear with the clutch out, yee haw!

My KS switch became intermittent. Inspection showed rubber tit gone[reducing travel about 1/8"] had a friend weld like thickness steel "washer" to end of side stand tang. problem fixed!

Wait, wait, wait. The cluster and everything stays dark. That's indicative of more than the kill switch, side stand switch or anything else. That's complete lack of power. Even an almost dead battery will turn on the cluster. Check the main fuses and fusible link if there is one.

Put a meter on the battery, check the voltage, and turn the key on while watching the meter. If there's no drop in voltage (which might be quick, so pay attention), then it's likely you need to check wiring/fuses/battery connections.

Back