• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gulf Coast BMW

Moose

Reaction score
First Name
Al
I used to love going into the shop as it's an old school type of shop, everybody seems friendly. Sadly as of today I would not recommend having them service your motorcycle.

About 6 weeks ago I bought a R100GS from Sandia BMW in Alb, NM, in pretty good shape. The bike came with a 30 day warranty which I thought was pretty decent of them. Being 1000 miles away from them we agreed that any warranty work would be done by Gulf Coast

The only problem I found was the airhead bouncey speedo and after a email exchange with Sandia it we agreed that I could take it in to Gulf Coast for them to have a look.

Almost 4 weeks ago I ( Mar. 15) took the bike in. They said that they had talked to the Sandia sales guy and it was a go. At that time I said the since you have the tank off anyway please replace all of the cables.I asked them if it'd be done for the weekend and they said possibly but not likely. I didn't break into a sweat when it wasn't done and the following week actually dropped of a pair of fresh tires for them to change out. At that time they said they were waiting for parts. Phone calls since then have varied from still waiting for parts or it's on the lift.

At no time have they ever called to give me an update.

Finally last Tuesday they said today is the big day. No phone call so I call them - oh yea the work is just done- BUT what were we supposed to do about the speedo. I call them again Thurdasay to follow up but they are still clueless so I try once again to straighten them outand they are going to overnight the part and the bike will be ready Friday. Call Friday ofcourse they are waiting for Sanadia to call them back (I calledSandia and GC never rang them). Yesterday I call GC to sort it out again - and am told that the bike will be ready today. Today I call and guess what no bike - no part oh and by the way I've got to pay for the repair now and then get Sandia to remburse me. They now say I can pick it up next Tuesday but I'll not hold my breath

I'm greatly displeased - it only went to them for the speedo work in the first place - I'd have done the cables myself if I'd have know this- I guess it's the price you pay for being lazy.

Again - I can't recommend having Gulf Coast BMW work on your bike YMMV

I was at GC on Saturday, could not believe it when I saw your bike sitting outside the service department.

The problem, in a nutshell is this :

The bike went in for a speedo fix as the main scope. I told them while they were doing that to change out the rest of the cables.

It took them 3-1/2 weeks to do the cables (fair enough if they truely can not get the parts from BMW but they could have easily told me to take the bike and they would call when they had all the parts). When I called them they then asked what they were supposed to do about the speedo. I personally had to re-arrange the details with the dealer in New Mexico Friday (after they told me Thursday that it was under control)

They have lied to me many many times

Have you dealt with an owner or high level manager? I know nothing of that shop, but have found that even good shops have problems with some service techs.

If the problem is systemic, then moving on to another shop is the move. But if it is with a particular service, parts, or mechanic, its well worth the time to sort it out face to face with someone up the food chain. At least this is true at a good shop.

I'm so particular about this, I'd have purchased a different brand bike had our local dealer not been so highly rated.

A friend had a bike there for 7 weeks, It was in WORSE shape when got it back. The work only took us 4 hours to do it Right. Would never send a bike there!!!!!! Friend had same lack of communications problem, ONE WAY communication!!!!!!

Have you dealt with an owner or high level manager? I know nothing of that shop, but have found that even good shops have problems with some service techs.

If the problem is systemic, then moving on to another shop is the move. But if it is with a particular service, parts, or mechanic, its well worth the time to sort it out face to face with someone up the food chain. At least this is true at a good shop.

I'm so particular about this, I'd have purchased a different brand bike had our local dealer not been so highly rated.

I talked to Cliff (owner or GM I'm not sure which) and he promised to look into it. To his credit he did call me back quickly but ignored the problem and parroted what the service guy said.

From what I now understand there has been a exodous of longer term employees

May not be a bad idea to fire off a letter to BMW. I'd think if the owner isn't able to get things back on track, the manufacturer may be able to provide motivation. I realize this doesn't work very often, but have to think BMW might take more interest in shops carrying their products.

Well picked my bike up today - it's been 4 weeks and a day.

Had a good talk with both the service manager and the GM

Speedo still doesn't work properly:headbang:

I do not own a BMW, so I can not address the BMW service capabilities, but it is too bad you had such a lousy experience. Hope things get better.

I do have two Triumphs. A Thunderbird Sport and a New Tiger. (Had an 05 Tiger as well).

I bought the 07 Tiger there and thought I was treated fairly.

For the past couple of years I have had most all my service done there and even had some substantial engine work done on the TBS a while back. (changed cams, opened air box and rejetted carb)

In the past I have had no problems with their service department. Of course, I have been off the bikes for 6 months and have not been to the service department for about 9 months.

The TBS is there now. I dropped it off a couple of weeks ago for several items. Change a fork seal, fix speedo, bleed front brakes and check for leak, check brake pads and chain tension, oil change, state inspection and generally check the bike over (someone else has been riding it for several months).

I did drop it off and tell them to take their time as I would be riding the Tiger and was in no hurry to get it back.

Ran into Cliff at Ming's last Thursday and he told me the bike was ready to be picked up. I asked him to hold it until I got the first 500 miles on the Tiger so I could just bring one in and swap it for the other one. Said that was no problem.

I was by there on Saturday and checked with service to make sure the bike was in fact ready. I did have to remind them to do the State Inspection.

I expect it will be another week before I am ready to pick the bike up, but when I do I will update this thread with my experiences.

Nice post Bushy, we ecpect to see you at doubleshots with the new ride

Bushwhacker, therein lies the rub. They CAN do a good job if they try. That is what makes the bad stuff so annoying!! :lol2: There is really no excuse for it.

I used to love going into the shop as it's an old school type of shop, everybody seems friendly. Sadly as of today I would not recommend having them service your motorcycle.

About 6 weeks ago I bought a R100GS from Sandia BMW in Alb, NM, in pretty good shape. The bike came with a 30 day warranty which I thought was pretty decent of them. Being 1000 miles away from them we agreed that any warranty work would be done by Gulf Coast

The only problem I found was the airhead bouncey speedo and after a email exchange with Sandia it we agreed that I could take it in to Gulf Coast for them to have a look.

Almost 4 weeks ago I ( Mar. 15) took the bike in. They said that they had talked to the Sandia sales guy and it was a go. At that time I said the since you have the tank off anyway please replace all of the cables.I asked them if it'd be done for the weekend and they said possibly but not likely. I didn't break into a sweat when it wasn't done and the following week actually dropped of a pair of fresh tires for them to change out. At that time they said they were waiting for parts. Phone calls since then have varied from still waiting for parts or it's on the lift.

At no time have they ever called to give me an update.

Finally last Tuesday they said today is the big day. No phone call so I call them - oh yea the work is just done- BUT what were we supposed to do about the speedo. I call them again Thurdasay to follow up but they are still clueless so I try once again to straighten them outand they are going to overnight the part and the bike will be ready Friday. Call Friday ofcourse they are waiting for Sanadia to call them back (I calledSandia and GC never rang them). Yesterday I call GC to sort it out again - and am told that the bike will be ready today. Today I call and guess what no bike - no part oh and by the way I've got to pay for the repair now and then get Sandia to remburse me. They now say I can pick it up next Tuesday but I'll not hold my breath

I'm greatly displeased - it only went to them for the speedo work in the first place - I'd have done the cables myself if I'd have know this- I guess it's the price you pay for being lazy.

Again - I can't recommend having Gulf Coast BMW work on your bike YMMV

I am familiar with that bike and what is involved with replacing the speedo head. It's a ****. Not only that, getting parts for the later model airheads is getting harder. Truthfully, if your bike was a /5 or a /6, it would be easier because BMW has been pumping up production of NOS parts. Also, was the speedo repaired or replaced? You never mentioned that. If it was repaired, it was probably sublet to a shop that specializes in that type of repair. That would mean GC would have to remove the speedo and wait for the other shop to do its work before they could finish it.

I wish you well with getting your problem resolved.

:sun:

what we had here were three simple, but unrelated jobs...change out the speedo, put on new cables and swap tires, and all three are easy user doable jobs.

If it were my bike, I would spend the first month just getting parts, and I would have had the selling dealer supply the new speedo head ($200 or so), ordered the cables from Chicago BMW (two clutch, two throttle and depending on the years, upper and lower cables with a splitter. So you probably needed five cables, one splitter, all the boots, resynch the carbs then pull the wheels then put the tires on.

A very complex job for a dealer not used to doing the work.

Join the airheads, www.airheads.org (or some variation) and we, as a user group will help you out with airhead friendly shops, technical advice and a source for parts.

Howard

I am familiar with that bike and what is involved with replacing the speedo head. It's a ****. Not only that, getting parts for the later model airheads is getting harder. Truthfully, if your bike was a /5 or a /6, it would be easier because BMW has been pumping up production of NOS parts. Also, was the speedo repaired or replaced? You never mentioned that. If it was repaired, it was probably sublet to a shop that specializes in that type of repair. That would mean GC would have to remove the speedo and wait for the other shop to do its work before they could finish it.

I wish you well with getting your problem resolved.

:sun:

Changing out the speedo itself is a 10 minute job - reach under the fairing, take off the 2 grey knobs, loosen the cable and voila.

Fact is they never checked for function until I was at the shop waiting to pick it up (after the new cable was finally installed)

I'm working with Sandia to get a replacement speedo sent to me and I'll install it myself

what we had here were three simple, but unrelated jobs...change out the speedo, put on new cables and swap tires, and all three are easy user doable jobs.

If it were my bike, I would spend the first month just getting parts, and I would have had the selling dealer supply the new speedo head ($200 or so), ordered the cables from Chicago BMW (two clutch, two throttle and depending on the years, upper and lower cables with a splitter. So you probably needed five cables, one splitter, all the boots, resynch the carbs then pull the wheels then put the tires on.

Join the airheads, www.airheads.org (or some variation) and we, as a user group will help you out with airhead friendly shops, technical advice and a source for parts.

Howard

I was being lazy and assumed that with the vintage angle they knew what they were doing.

I've got to go and re-adjust the clutch cable - they didn't re-set the pull lever on the tranny so now the threaded adjuster on the grip is out as far as it can go

I've been meaning to join the airheads

While I don't see as many airheads as would like to, I have no probs about working on them. Most airhead customers tend to work on them themselves. We do sublet work like rebuild FDs or change wheel bearings. I am glad to hear that Sandia is working with you after the sale to make sure you are satisfied.

FWIW, that KTM you traded in is a fun bike to ride.:rider:

Howard

All it takes is an afternoon and a few brews and yer done.:chug:

Let me chime back in again...

airheads are an OLD design, with the engine being designed in the late 1960's, and the bikes, while very dependable, need constant attention.

I found it difficult to drop the bike off every six months for a service and expect the bike to perform well which leads to my next point.

As the owner and operator of an airhead, we are responsible for the care and feeding of the bike. Dealers can assist us in this task by supplying parts and component rebuilds. They are NOT currently superior in performing routine maintenance and service functions since they do very little of it.

Now, some other issues...the motometer brand speedometers used in that era airheads are junk and need to be replaced or rebuild every five years or so (87 R80 is on the third head, the 83 R80ST on the second). I have replaced them with new heads for about $200 each.

And, there has been a bad batch of clutch cables (inner cable about 1/2" too long) causing the issue you noticed on your clutch adjustment. There are NOT the fault of the dealer, and they are following normal shop protocals.

PLEASE join the airheads, become one of us and avoid dealer issues.

Howard

Let me chime back in again...

airheads are an OLD design, with the engine being designed in the late 1960's, and the bikes, while very dependable, need constant attention.

I found it difficult to drop the bike off every six months for a service and expect the bike to perform well which leads to my next point.

As the owner and operator of an airhead, we are responsible for the care and feeding of the bike. Dealers can assist us in this task by supplying parts and component rebuilds. They are NOT currently superior in performing routine maintenance and service functions since they do very little of it.

Now, some other issues...the motometer brand speedometers used in that era airheads are junk and need to be replaced or rebuild every five years or so (87 R80 is on the third head, the 83 R80ST on the second). I have replaced them with new heads for about $200 each.

And, there has been a bad batch of clutch cables (inner cable about 1/2" too long) causing the issue you noticed on your clutch adjustment. There are NOT the fault of the dealer, and they are following normal shop protocals.

PLEASE join the airheads, become one of us and avoid dealer issues.

Howard

Most folks I know that have an airhead do their own work.

I would advocate anybody that owns one to join airheads.org.

However,

Please don't assume every BMW dealership is airhead ignorant. There are some out there that do great work. IOW, if you don't feel confident about doing a specific job on your BMW, take it to a dealer/mechanic/friend you trust.

Re:bouncy speedo

Speedo still doesn't work properly:headbang:

Grrr, they're cardrivers obviously!!
air head bouncy speedo you also said, I've fixed mine by cleaning out the cable, then re-filling it with new grease, been working fine now for many years.
Oh, if you're getting a new speedo, make sure it has the same W= number, that's the ratio inside.

Re:bouncy speedo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose

Speedo still doesn't work properly

Grrr, they're cardrivers obviously!!
air head bouncy speedo you also said, I've fixed mine by cleaning out the cable, then re-filling it with new grease, been working fine now for many years.
Oh, if you're getting a new speedo, make sure it has the same W= number, that's the ratio inside.

Back