• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

H2H (Heaven to ****) ride Big Bend, Sept 17-19

Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Haywood
H2H starts at Jim's in Austin at the Y. Kickstands up at 7:30 (sharp).

An older friend of mine has run this for many years, a guy named Jerry. It's a mix of road riders and off-roaders. We lodge in Alpine. Pretty informal group ride. No need to register. Just show up.

Details...

Hi Y'all,
It's that time once again for another ride to Alpine TX for the H2H. By Looking once again at the third weekend of September, 17-19, 2021 for our ride.
First things first, my apologies for the short notice for the ride this year.
Just a note that last year many of our riders elected to stay in Junction Thursday night which makes for a shorter ride on Friday.
Austin Riders:
Meet at Jim's Restaurant at the "Y" in Oak Hill.
Kick Stands up 7:30 am.
Ride to Junction TX via US290 & I-10.
We will pick up other riders in Junction Tx o/a 9am. Location TBA
KSU 10 am
Route to Alpine:
I-10 to old 290 Sheffield TX State Hwy 349 Stopping at the overlook for photos.
State Hwy 349 South to FM 2400
FM 2400 to US 285 South to Sanderson, TX
US 90 West to Alpine, TX
Total distance from Oak Hill: 411 miles
Total distance from Junction: 282 Miles
Weather outlook for the weekend in Alpine.
Looking at the long range weather forecast for Alpine, the temperature is expected warmer that usual - 81-91 Deg with an estimated 31-33% chance of rain. Expected low temperatures 52-62 deg. I know most of you will be monitoring the weather as the date gets closer.
Accommodations:
September is peak season for Alpine, hotels running on the low end $109 to $160 in the high end.

THE 10 BEST Hotels in Alpine, TX for 2021 (from $33 ...​

Restaurants in Alpine:
Old Gringo Coffee and Cocktails - Friday night good and beverage
Reata Restaurant (Let me know those of you who want to do Sat Night Dining)

State Hwy 349 South to FM 2400
FM 2400 to US 285 South to Sanderson, TX

↑ that's a pretty stretch of road

This looks interesting and I've been trying to find a ride to make some new friends. Is it local riding around Alpine on Saturday and return on Sunday? I've searched the site and cant find any historical information.

Keith

All riding in inside Big Bend on Saturday. Friday night dinner the Saturday route is discussed. The Hogs and big BMW stick to the payment. Anyone on adventure bikes work up alternative plans if they choose. We meet for lunch in the park. Do the same in the afternoon. Saturday evening meal together. Head for home Sunday.

You can find a Big Bend map online. You can review it should you like.

The River Road about a mile completely washed to the point it required terrain association to find it on the other side about 8 miles in from west side. This was early July. The park ranger said “you are going to camp in tents!?!?!” It was a little hot.

If I didn't have a wedding in Dallas that weekend I'd be all over this. I'd love to make a my Day 2 Loop through the National Park on that Saturday. Safe travels to all those who participate.

My wife and I are looking firmly at a Subaru soon. You do any towing with yours?

Another good ride from Alpine is the Davis Mtn. Loop

DFD6F8F6-78A1-4275-9E0D-696A5DC304EB.jpeg

My buddy & I have stayed several times at the Antelope Lodge in Alpine and it's a nice stay. It's an updated old-style motor court, if you like nostalgic kind of accommodations.

Reactions: JSP
I'm going to try to join up in Junction
HenryP... I've asked where in Junction is the meet spot. In the past, seems like it was the Shell/McDonalds southeast corner of N. Main and I10.

As soon as Jerry replies, I will let you know.

When I lived in Spicewood, I meet up with the group at the Exxon on the corner of Scofield (2766) and 281 in Johnson city.

They'll pull a one-bike trailer, no prob. Never tried anything larger or heavier...

View attachment 300873
Make sure to check the tow specks on the subaru.
From my understanding they are all cvt trans. If that is in fact true then id never tow with one.
Subaru has the best cvt but, that auto trans type is rediculess and weak across all manufactures and very expensive to re build.

Subaru's safety features are in the top 5, maybe even the top 3? I don't know but do really like that.

But yeah. That newer CVT is the one component that doesn't seem to have much in the line of long-term reviews while under load.

Talking with the wife. She agrees that we should first look at what our load might be when adventuring. Where are we going and what is the terrain going to be like. Then find a vehicle that exceeds those limits by at least 50%.

I'm well below the tow limits with that little trailer. Subi has used CVT's for a darn long time. It's a non-issue to me. The turbo subi has nearly 2x the two rating, if I recall correctly, and they use the exact same cvt.

I had a true CVT in my Chevy City Express, rebadged Nissan NV200. I towed two motorcycles from Fairbanks to San Antonio with my professional tool boxes and everything I needed for my apartment without issue.

Back